No announcement yet.

What are your hobbies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mamabug, I hope you finish your memoirs. My father wrote his right after retirement in the early 1990s. He died 5 years ago, but last year I found myself near the town where he grew up. I brought his book with me and went along the same path he and grandma walked to his first day of school in 1929. It was as if they were right along side me. What a powerful gift from the past!

Comment

Originally posted by Mable View Post
      Mamabug, I hope you finish your memoirs.
      Thanks. I have about 17 chapters done. I've been working on it for a number of years. At this point, I'm dividing it into three sections:
      - one about the beginning of my MS (2002)
      - one looking back from early adulthood (1982-2002)
      - the last one moving forward after MS began. I'll probably end it where my life was in 2016. (2002-2016)

I'm currently working on the 3rd section. I'm at about 2008.

Originally posted by Mable View Post
      My father wrote his right after retirement in the early 1990s. He died 5 years ago, but last year I found myself near the town where he grew up. I brought his book with me and went along the same path he and grandma walked to his first day of school in 1929. It was as if they were right along side me. What a powerful gift from the past!
      How awesome!

Is his work published, or something he wrote for just the family?

I'm hoping to self- publish. I have an author/ publisher acquaintance who I've hired as a writing coach for some chapters. She'll also be able to advise me when I get to that point.

I also have a writing group that I'm a part of; we meet regularly to share our writing and give feedback to each other. I always come away from that with lots of ideas for changes I want to make.
      ~ Faith
      MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
      (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
      - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
      - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
      - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Mamabug, it sounds like your book would mean a lot to MSers everywhere.

My Dad didn’t want strangers reading his memoirs. So we just printed out a few copies for family when he was done. I’m a writer by profession, so I tried to make it more digestible by breaking up paragraphs and adding maps, headings, pull quotes, and some of his photos.

In recent years, his now grown grandchildren have been reacquainting themselves with him through that book.

Not a huge audience for his work, but all the most important people.

Comment

I'm sure that your editing, Mable, helped your Dad's writings be much more readable for his intended audience.

And now, sorry for the diversion; let's get back to the thread's original intent:
          Originally posted by MMMMS View Post
          I'm curious about the hobbies that people with MS pursue. Maybe we have some in common - maybe more than we would with a group of people without MS.

Guessing that fewer of us are marathon runners than a like-sized group of the general public. 🤣

Knitting
          Reading
          Photography
          ~ Faith
          (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
          - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.

- Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

I'm curious about the hobbies that people with MS pursue. Maybe we have some in common - maybe more than we would with a group of people without MS.

Guessing that fewer of us are marathon runners than a like-sized group of the general public. 🤣

Knitting
            Reading
            Photography
            • Cooking and feeding friends and family
            • Travel when budget allows (it's been a while!)
            • Writing - poetry and prose
            • Learning to 3d model for fun, on VR grids
            • Reading ( I read a lot less than I used to. I sometimes worry it could have to do with my attention span. Rather, I think I've become computer-lazy ).
            • Reading about MS - new serious hobby
            • I used to love to crochet, but I think it too fell victim to the computer. I am planning to get back into it given the recent DX.
            • Seeing plays - as budget permits!
            All the best, ~G

Comment

I'm tired just reading all of that! 🙂

Are you a writer by profession?
              No. Lol; if I was it probably wouldn't take me years to write a simple memoir. And I'd be a poor, starving writer with no income. :-)
              ~ Faith
              (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

Ohh come on guys!!!

I really did mean it - Ps love these type of threads. I rarely need ?'S answered now but is nice to talk.
                isolation is rough.
                Thanks , and looking forward to reading more.

How come a drama filled thread gets so many replies and yet a nice thread where we just share common interests and talk has minimal participation?
                Is it just me?

Comment

Originally posted by Carolinemf View Post
                  Ohh come on guys!!!

I really did mean it - Ps love these type of threads. I rarely need ?'S answered now but is nice to talk.
                  isolation is rough.
                  Thanks , and looking forward to reading more.

How come a drama filled thread gets so many replies and yet a nice thread where we just share common interests and talk has minimal participation?
                  Is it just me?

I've noticed that the board has been kind of quiet lately. Maybe we just need to heal a little before we can move on.
                  Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

I reread entire thread because of Carolinemf....

First time reading I was surprised (and pleased) at the abilities still available to those who responded. And the few who had or are in the process of finding a way to do things.

My right hand is close to useless. Other than reading which I do daily, hobbies are very limited.

One thing I have made an effort to improve is relationships. Guess it's more than a hobby. Kind of like what a diet should be... something one establishes and continues over a lifetime. I am fine with conversation and have improved my listening ability.

I'm alone, no one in the house, so I can eliminate all distractions and contemplate what Jack, Jill, Tom or Jerry are facing in their lives. It works well by preparing my ideas for a discussion if called upon, by being ready to change gears and follow another lead and also the added benefit of veering any conversation away from MS.

Unlike Gargantua, I avoid reading about MS, except for you guys. Kind of a filter for much of the medical terms that glaze over my eyes almost immediately.

Just maybe one other hobby.

Putting a train of thought together once in a while by responding to a fellow MSer! Cyber relationship... see the 21st century has now arrived for Jerry!

Comment

Originally posted by Carolinemf View Post
                      Is it just me?
                      Thanks for starting this thread. I think there are two reasons:

1) Drama filled threads have drama!
                      2) This is a great thread, and it covers a lot of different hobbies. It's interesting to see what people do, and maybe it's more "presentational" than "problem solving." It's always valuable to learn about other people in a community, and that goal is definitely being accomplished in this thread!
                      All the best, ~G

Comment

Originally posted by 502E79 View Post
                        Unlike Gargantua, I avoid reading about MS, except for you guys. Kind of a filter for much of the medical terms that glaze over my eyes almost immediately.
                        Yes, mine too. If it's more than four syllables forget it. But thank goodness for some of the bloggers and their examples of encouragement and survival. Plus following health policy stuff. I decided not to try to do medical speak with my neurologist, beyond asking strategic questions based on reading here or elsewhere ("do you do this" and "what if that" questions). Usually he understands why I'm asking them. Lets all imagine helping our doctor to stumble upon some groundbreaking discovery, through questions from the heart!
                        All the best, ~G

Comment

Used to also enjoy a chat.
                          The old saying - 'talk under water with a mouth full of marbles' comes to mind
                          Still do, but the trouble is now people think i've taken this saying literally.
                          My grand baby was playing with a toy and i was talking about it and the word 'loop' was completely missing from my brain. ' string' was what i replaced it with after a pause, that my D.I.L noticed and joked about.. was good actually- eased the embarrassment.

I certainly don't feel so comfortable speaking to those who don't know me so well and i feel may judge.

Yep 502e79 relationships are THE most important . I am so glad you have maintained , even improved your conversational skills. I'm envious.

Thanks for your replies to my little additional post Marti & 502e79 & Gar.
                          I really wasn't trying to muddy the waters and lay on guilt or what ever . Or hijack thread.
                          Am just at a place where i can't shake the "aloneness" and is nice to check in every few days and see if anyone is talking about something interesting- I avoid reading about MS, except for you guys.- is true for me too.
                          Unfortunately i must be Tom not Jerry don't feel a cyber relationship has established.
                          So going to try something else. Reply to each poster like some did. more like a conversation maybe?
                          And hope they do the same and others add input?

Comment

mmms

What is your favourite subject to photograph? Or are you interested in portraits?

Comment

Seasha

Knitting must keep your fingers nimble.. what do you like to knit and who for?
                              it's years since i've, knit one, pearl one. I would have to relearn. Do you loose your place?

Comment

Palmtree

You translate things? How many languages do you speek/read?

Witnessed a pharmacist in Holland, while on holiday, speaking 5 languages in a conversation.
                                in Aus most of us only speak one language even though we have a very racially diverse population.
                                This is changing a bit , mostly in the cities but in the country areas there is simply no need.
                                This mans skill blew us away! he even changed his accent.

Comment

Working...
                                X