What are your hobbies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are your hobbies?

I'm curious about the hobbies that people with MS pursue. Maybe we have some in common - maybe more than we would with a group of people without MS.

Guessing that fewer of us are marathon runners than a like-sized group of the general public. 🤣

Knitting
    Reading
    Photography

Originally posted by MMMMS View Post
    Knitting
    Reading
    Photography
    Yes to all three! The first two especially in the colder months. Modified gardening takes first place in the warmer months, but then, it's not really a hobby.
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Gardening if someone else digs in the dirt and plants the seeds and plants. I water them and watch them grow, I love to watch them grow.

Oil painting. Still trying to find a technique that I can do with tremors but it’s fun.

Reading, just started a good book, it’s been a long time since I’ve given myself a chance to read, I forgot how great books can be.

Cooking. I hate it. Unless I’m reallly starving and make just the right thing,

Political junkie. I haven’t always been like this but having time to participate has been fascinating.

Forner hobbies: swimming, doing language translation., ice skating, Salsa Dancing, learning new languages.

Comment

Hi.
        Have never really classed anything i do as a hobby.
        More - activities....maybe?

Love my garden, house, family and presentation of myself (and all of the above) to look nice.
        So i enjoy gardening and sewing and even cleaning if things looks nice after. it lifts my spirits.Then i feel satisfied with myself and can thoroughly enjoy a good movie or read without feeling that I'm neglecting my treasures.

I used to spend hours drawing and doing art but the demands of "life" have gotten in the way for so long That i seem to have lost the ability. Things used to just develop on the page but now i have to 'think' about something to draw and the thinking is my main problem.

Have had to lessen the amount of all of these activities of course after 33 odd years with ms.
        But still try to do as much as i can. Digging/weeding -oiiii... threading needles-oiii... painting and sanding- oiii...vacuuming and windows- double oiii...

Something i have developed a real zest for is driving the farm machinery that we have and caring for our stock.
        These allow me to stay upright , require only moderate strength and are forgiving if i don't remember their names (or push the wrong button). They also make me feel useful and capable.
        There's nothing quite like pushing down a tree to make one feel invincible!
        Highly recommend it
        Caroline.

Comment

I am a professional insomniac.

I know it's not a hobby, but it does seem to be a lifestyle.

Right now I'm in OCD mode. Since Sam passed I have been watching old sitcom DVD's over and over and over. I get my best sleep on the couch with the noise of the tv going.

Honestly, I read a lot, although I've noticed I'm slowing down. It takes me much longer to get through a book than it ever used to. I know it's crazy, but I read my favorites over and over, like watching the same DVD's over and over. I used to LOVE to cook but those days are few and far between now. Takes too much energy. I do pace around the house, rearranging little items from one location to another... over and over. I'm trying to downsize so I have been donating things, including furniture to anyone I can find who wants them. A new hobby I have is trying to find a comfortable couch or loveseat to sleep on while I watch those favorite DVD's. I've been around and around on this and have transferred couches 3 times in the last 2 months. Still looking for a comfy couch.

Well, I know this wasn't helpful, but it helped me to put it down in words.
          Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

Water aerobics
            Every morning at the health club pool
            Cooking
            My goal is to be able to cook an everyday meal from as many different cultures as possible.
            Right now I'm using a lot of wildrice to explore indigenous foods of the Upper Mississippi River
            Crochet
            I make hats, headbands, and cowls. I even sell them.
            Reading
            I'm in a book club. This month: The Boys in the Boat by Daniel James Brown

Stay lifted,
            Mermaid Susan
            "Life is short, and we have but little time to gladden the hearts of those who travel with us; so let us be swift to love, and make haste to be kind."
-Henri Amiel

Comment

I love to read, play computer games and board games if someone is here to play. In the warmer months I like to fish. My husband gets my fishing gear and I get on my scooter. I have to fish sitting down which is hard sometimes but I still enjoy it. I wish I had a hobby where I could be more
              creative just don't know what it could be.
              God Bless Us All

Comment

Hi again,
                I Forgot FISHING.. dohhh.. thanks for reminding me REG23.

I watched a documentary recently (love nature docs) called 'Blue Fin' and it has changed my dream of catching a black marlin to swimming with the Tuna in Canada.

Already swam with dophins and absolutely loved it.
                Has anyone else done things like this?

Ps love these type of threads. I rarely need ?'S answered now but is nice to talk.
                isolation is rough.
                Thanks , and looking forward to reading more.

Comment

Originally posted by MermaidOP View Post
                  My goal is to be able to cook an everyday meal from as many different cultures as possible.
                  Now that's ambitious! I forgot to add that I love to cook too. I am more apt to find different ways to cook with veggies from my garden during the growing season and different ways to cook with chocolate all year long

I also love to make greeting cards with the photos I take.
                  1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                  Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

It seems reading wins. It’s so great when your body can’t do much. There is an endless
                    Supply of great things to learn about.

When I’m lazy YouTube is great!

Comment

Palmtree, you mentioned painting with tremors... my sister-in-law painted her last several years using only Q-tips due to tremors. It opened up an entirely new period in painting for her. I actually believe those are her best work. I can't say that I have nearly as much appreciation of impressionists as most people seem to have, however, the impressionist hue Q-tips gave her paintings is pretty remarkable, IMO.

My favorite hobby is collecting old letters, books, and paper. The letters are from early 1800s and on. The books 1730 and up. The paper early 1500s and up. Personal letters provide a look into the soul of the writer and occasionally, the calligraphy is nothing short of astounding.

Comment

Good topic, thanks. It helps me remember that life goes on despite MS. As for my own hobbies...

Does obsessing on Marie Kondo, tidying, and organizing count? That’s been my thing lately. Who knew a sock drawer could embody so much harmony?

I’m also learning to play mandolin a little bit every day.

Also sometimes cooking, reading, and art museums when I visit new places.

Comment

Originally posted by Carolinemf View Post
                          Something i have developed a real zest for is driving the farm machinery that we have
                          Now [B][I]that[B][I] is right up my alley! For my hobbies I love to make jewellery and bake. I used to follow recipes but have gotten really good at it so now I make my own recipes. I fully enjoy decorating baked goods too. Also in the Summer making jam and preserves and in the Fall pickling things like beets, peppers and, well... pickles! Most of my hobbies come packed with calories but they're some good!

Jen
                          RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
                          "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Originally posted by palmtree View Post
                            It seems reading wins. It’s so great when your body can’t do much. There is an endless
                            Supply of great things to learn about.

When I’m lazy YouTube is great!
                            - Yes, YouTube. Also Netflix, Hulu and Amazon prime.
                            - Computer games such as Scrabble, words with Friends, Sudoku.
                            - Reading.
                            - Writing. I'm working on a memoir but it's progressing slowly.
                            - Kids. Skyping with grandkids, occasional visits. Visiting with neighbor kids. Volunteering at church.
                            - Music. Listening on Spotify, Amazon Music or YouTube. Playing piano.
                            - current events / politics - attending local meetings, calling my senators about important issues, watching news on TV, MSNBC, YouTube, etc.
                            - volunteering. I do much less than I used to.
                            ~ Faith
                            MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                            (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                            - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                            - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                            - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

I'm tired just reading all of that! 🙂

Are you a writer by profession?

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
                              - Yes, YouTube. Also Netflix, Hulu and Amazon prime.
                              - Computer games such as Scrabble, words with Friends, Sudoku.
                              - Reading.
                              - Writing. I'm working on a memoir but it's progressing slowly.
                              - Kids. Skyping with grandkids, occasional visits. Visiting with neighbor kids. Volunteering at church.
                              - Music. Listening on Spotify, Amazon Music or YouTube. Playing piano.
                              - current events / politics - attending local meetings, calling my senators about important issues, watching news on TV, MSNBC, YouTube, etc.
                              - volunteering. I do much less than I used to.

Comment

Working...
                              X