Two Popular Eating Plans with References

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two Popular Eating Plans with References

This article reviews two popular eating plans within the MS Community: Low Saturated Fat and Modified Paleolithic. It has a lof of references to associated research and studies. One of the authors is Dr. Terry Wahl's who did develop one of the diets.

This post isn't a specific recommendation for either diet. I am posting it because I think it's a nice comprehensive reference to two popular diets which a lot of people are trying out.

Personally, I don't follow either diet rigorously. Since being diagnosed I did lower my dairy and sugar intake resulting in less congestion and headaches for me. I also have a vegetable-based smoothie at some point every day and generally follow a "heart healthy" diet.

https://www.mdpi.com/2072-6643/11/2/352/pdf
    All the best, ~G

Originally posted by gargantua View Post
    This article reviews two popular eating plans within the MS Community: Low Saturated Fat and Modified Paleolithic. It has a lof of references to associated research and studies. One of the authors is Dr. Terry Wahl's who did develop one of the diets.

This post isn't a specific recommendation for either diet. I am posting it because I think it's a nice comprehensive reference to two popular diets which a lot of people are trying out.

Personally, I don't follow either diet rigorously. Since being diagnosed I did lower my dairy and sugar intake resulting in less congestion and headaches for me. I also have a vegetable-based smoothie at some point every day and generally follow a "heart healthy" diet.

https://www.mdpi.com/2072-6643/11/2/352/pdf
    I eliminated gluten and legumes completely and take a variety of supplements and exercise at least 3 times per week.

Diagnosed in 2004, I still work full time and pretty well do everything. I have never been on meds.
    Don't be afraid of the waves- Focus on the MASTER walking on the water - you won't even SEE the waves

Comment

Originally posted by Twenty Miles View Post
      I eliminated gluten and legumes completely and take a variety of supplements and exercise at least 3 times per week.

Diagnosed in 2004, I still work full time and pretty well do everything. I have never been on meds.
      Twenty Miles, how inspirational! And we're similar. My neuros and I have been flirting with MS for decades but finally had a severe relapse in 2018 after a couple years of bad stress and inconsistent lifestyle. Being generally healthy - good diet and lots of exercise - worked well for a long time.

Diet may not be the single best therapy for everyone, but there is evidence that it influences outcomes. And there is so much research happening regarding the human genome, now that computing power is fast enough to do lots of data analysis on a molecular level. It really is starting to seem like depending on one's ancestry, certain foods could cause problems. Personally, I could virtually never give up gluten. But the issues dairy causes for me are very immediate. I look forward to more findings about this and am adding a link to an article that I've posted before.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2017...and-years-ago/
      All the best, ~G

Comment

Twenty Miles, how inspirational! And we're similar. My neuros and I have been flirting with MS for decades but finally had a severe relapse in 2018 after a couple years of bad stress and inconsistent lifestyle. Being generally healthy - good diet and lots of exercise - worked well for a long time.

Diet may not be the single best therapy for everyone, but there is evidence that it influences outcomes. And there is so much research happening regarding the human genome, now that computing power is fast enough to do lots of data analysis on a molecular level. It really is starting to seem like depending on one's ancestry, certain foods could cause problems. Personally, I could virtually never give up gluten. But the issues dairy causes for me are very immediate. I look forward to more findings about this and am adding a link to an article that I've posted before.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2017...and-years-ago/
        Diet and supplements started as a temporary section on here hosted by a biochemist named Tara Palmer. I suggested it be kept permanent years ago.

I hired Tara to consult on my diet, through the phone and email, she directed me over 3-4 brief sessions. I was headed in a misled direction prior to Tara. Her services are professional and very reasonably priced.

Regarding gluten, I am Italian, so the idea of no bread and pasta seemed daunting at first. It actually is easy to accommodate, there is a gluten free option for every food. I cannot stress highly enough how detrimental gluten is. Tara will recommend eliminating gluten for all people with MS and I am living proof of her true knowledge.
        Don't be afraid of the waves- Focus on the MASTER walking on the water - you won't even SEE the waves

Comment

Originally posted by Twenty Miles View Post
          Diet and supplements started as a temporary section on here hosted by a biochemist named Tara Palmer. I suggested it be kept permanent years ago.

I hired Tara to consult on my diet, through the phone and email, she directed me over 3-4 brief sessions. I was headed in a misled direction prior to Tara. Her services are professional and very reasonably priced.

Regarding gluten, I am Italian, so the idea of no bread and pasta seemed daunting at first. It actually is easy to accommodate, there is a gluten free option for every food. I cannot stress highly enough how detrimental gluten is. Tara will recommend eliminating gluten for all people with MS and I am living proof of her true knowledge.
          Thanks for mentioning Tara - a great resource. Italian here too, with great "general" health. I too believe we are what we eat and was raised by a traditional Italian eater and a 1970s "Let's Cook it Right" health "nut." I have always believed nutrition can help us to avoid and/or live with complex health issues.

BUT after a very long walk with MS and waking up completely blind in one eye in relapse, the decision to go with a DMT was easy. After some studies I believe MS and stopping autoimmune progression may be a more individual thing than one med or one diet. My personal strategy is to follow more and more principles of these diets to see if they make a difference individually while hopefully getting some extra help from the DMT in stopping disease progression.

It is always great to see someone sticking to a regimen and having it work well for them. Now that we have individual examples, plus the ability to process information on a molecular level more rapidly, definitive findings about how our genome connects to nutrition and autoimmune triggers should come fast and furious for the benefit of everyone.

In the meantime good luck to you and everyone our strategies.
          All the best, ~G

Comment

and a 1970s "Let's Cook it Right" health "nut." I have always believed nutrition can help us to avoid and/or live with complex health issues.
            I still have my original copy! All yellowed and food stained. I've been following what my husband calls our "no" diet from our naturopath. No white flours, no sugar (we sometimes cheat), no dairy, and for me, no gluten and red meat. 95% organic everything, which is pricey, but our better health is priceless.

I've been SP for almost a decade now with many limitations, but I feel good and rarely get sick. I credit it to my high standards in regards to good nutrition.
            1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
            Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Thanks for mentioning Tara - a great resource. Italian here too, with great "general" health. I too believe we are what we eat and was raised by a traditional Italian eater and a 1970s "Let's Cook it Right" health "nut." I have always believed nutrition can help us to avoid and/or live with complex health issues.

BUT after a very long walk with MS and waking up completely blind in one eye in relapse, the decision to go with a DMT was easy. After some studies I believe MS and stopping autoimmune progression may be a more individual thing than one med or one diet. My personal strategy is to follow more and more principles of these diets to see if they make a difference individually while hopefully getting some extra help from the DMT in stopping disease progression.

It is always great to see someone sticking to a regimen and having it work well for them. Now that we have individual examples, plus the ability to process information on a molecular level more rapidly, definitive findings about how our genome connects to nutrition and autoimmune triggers should come fast and furious for the benefit of everyone.

In the meantime good luck to you and everyone our strategies.
              I believe that once the autoimmunity switch is flipped, we are stuck with it for life. Then we are in the mode of lessening triggers, attacks, and symptoms. I agree, it is a highly individual journey.

I look at the disease as autoimmunity, not MS. I like most have more than one autoimmune disorder. Adjusting diet is individual. Having an expert like Tara truly helped what seemed like endless failing trial and error.

Good luck and the best of health.

Comment

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
                I've been SP for almost a decade now with many limitations, but I feel good and rarely get sick. I credit it to my high standards in regards to good nutrition.
                Congratulations, I hope things stay stable for you as you stay committed to your regimen.

I still have my original copy! All yellowed and food stained.
                About Adele Davis, from Wikipedia:

Davis believed many of America's dietary problems were due to most doctors not being well informed about nutrition. She believed few medical schools offered nutrition courses and physicians had little time to read the hundreds of medical journals published to keep up with new findings.[2]

Since being diagnosed it has been interesting how doctors almost effusively express thoughts on diet. Before this DX they never offered anything about diet because I have a BMI within normal range, good numbers and never complain much. But the amount of sugar I consumed was high.

Davis criticized the food industry of helping promote bad eating habits with misleading advertising. "It's just propaganda," she said, "that the American diet is the best in the world. Commercial people have been telling us those lies for years."[13] In a television interview she said that a "great deal of sickness is caused by refined foods."

The above claims are no longer just theories. We are seeing the results of a few generations of eating refined foods. But as we suffer the effects, societal awareness is taking hold.
                All the best, ~G

Comment

Congratulations, I hope things stay stable for you as you stay committed to your regimen.

About Adele Davis, from Wikipedia:

Davis believed many of America's dietary problems were due to most doctors not being well informed about nutrition. She believed few medical schools offered nutrition courses and physicians had little time to read the hundreds of medical journals published to keep up with new findings.[2]

Since being diagnosed it has been interesting how doctors almost effusively express thoughts on diet. Before this DX they never offered anything about diet because I have a BMI within normal range, good numbers and never complain much. But the amount of sugar I consumed was high.

Davis criticized the food industry of helping promote bad eating habits with misleading advertising. "It's just propaganda," she said, "that the American diet is the best in the world. Commercial people have been telling us those lies for years."[13] In a television interview she said that a "great deal of sickness is caused by refined foods."

The above claims are no longer just theories. We are seeing the results of a few generations of eating refined foods. But as we suffer the effects, societal awareness is taking hold.
                  I attribute many problems, including my own, also to no breast feeding and low Vitamin D.

Physicians come out of schools that are supported by companies that manufacture pharmaceuticals. So, diet is not part of their approach to healing.

Comment

Diet and antioxidants

"Oxidative stress occurs as a result of a mismatch between cellular processes that produce reactive oxygen in the body, and those that mop it up and convert it into other substances. Ideally, these processes are kept in balance, as too much reactive oxygen around nerve cells damages them. In MS, oxidative stress occurs as a result of inflammation, and so researchers are looking at antioxidants as possible candidates for neuroprotection.

Antioxidant substances from the diet, such as polyphenols from green tea, red wine or olive oil, and vitamins C and E are being studied in relation to MS. It is possible that the supposed benefits of dietary modification in MS comes from the neuroprotective effect of these substances."

https://www.mstrust.org.uk/a-z/neuroprotection

Comment

My diet is so strict I am sure if I read this I will find even more things I can change.

I am already low saturated fat , low sodium , no red meat , no dairy , plus a bunch of other stuff. I miss food... but I would rather increase my chance of staying healthy and in denial

Comment

Originally posted by Myoak View Post
                        Diet and antioxidants

"Oxidative stress occurs as a result of a mismatch between cellular processes that produce reactive oxygen in the body, and those that mop it up and convert it into other substances. Ideally, these processes are kept in balance, as too much reactive oxygen around nerve cells damages them. In MS, oxidative stress occurs as a result of inflammation, and so researchers are looking at antioxidants as possible candidates for neuroprotection.

Antioxidant substances from diet, such as polyphenols from green tea, red wine or olive oil, and vitamins C and E are being studied in relation to MS. It is possible that the supposed benefits of dietary modification in MS comes from the neuroprotective effect of these substances."

https://www.mstrust.org.uk/a-z/neuroprotection
                        How long have people been told to eat fresh fruits and veggies, the purest forms antioxidants, by parents, institutions, cartoons, and even governments. But the “food” industry, poverty, consumerism and other factors cause us to believe stuff that is not actually food is the best thing for us, because some think it tastes better. Or worse, it is what many can afford.

When I asked my neurologist how he thinks diet impacts MS he said it’s hard to make a definitive statement because diets are so hard to control in studies. I told him I know the diet I was exposed to since childhood influenced my so far ok outcome with MS. That may sound naive, but I also believe that until we know more, diet isn’t the only solution and DMTs are definitely not the only solution on their own.
                        All the best, ~G

Comment

... I've been following what my husband calls our "no" diet from our naturopath. No white flours, no sugar (we sometimes cheat), no dairy, and for me, no gluten and red meat. 95% organic everything, which is pricey, but our better health is priceless.
                          I guess I'm also on a "no" diet.
                          • No wheat.
                          • No dairy.
                          • Almost no sugar. I cheat occasionally, but there are fewer sugar temptations when wheat and dairy are not options.
                          • Lots of fruits and vegetables, nuts and seeds. Occasional legumes. We buy organic.
                          • Occasional grass fed meat and free range chicken.
                          • IgG food sensitivity restrictions.

We eat out occasionally. Once or twice a week, sometimes. Other weeks, maybe not at all. When we go out, I stick to no wheat, no dairy. But restaurant meat is corn fed, and I cheat on my food sensitivities somewhat.
                          ~ Faith
                          MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                          (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                          - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                          - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                          - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
                            I guess I'm also on a "no" diet.
                            • No wheat.
                            • No dairy.
                            • Almost no sugar. I cheat occasionally, but there are fewer sugar temptations when wheat and dairy are not options.
                            • Lots of fruits and vegetables, nuts and seeds. Occasional legumes. We buy organic.
                            • Occasional grass fed meat and free range chicken.
                            • IgG food sensitivity restrictions.

We eat out occasionally. Once or twice a week, sometimes. Other weeks, maybe not at all. When we go out, I stick to no wheat, no dairy. But restaurant meat is corn fed, and I cheat on my food sensitivities somewhat.
                            Hi Mamabug,

Your comment about omitting dairy making it easier to omit sugar is so true - it has such a strong dessert connection!
                            All the best, ~G

Comment

Hi Mamabug,

Your comment about omitting dairy making it easier to omit sugar is so true - it has such a strong dessert connection!
                              Yes. Dairy and wheat. Sugar is often part of ice cream, or cookies. Without dairy and wheat, those food items are already ruled out.
                              ~ Faith
                              MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                              (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                              - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                              - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                              - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Working...
                              X