Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rebif causing Depression

Hi All:
    I have been on Rebif very successfully for three years, no major reactions, only the occasional flu-like symptoms, common to this drug.

Then this last fall, I began to feel depressed and the depression increased, month by month till by late December, I could not get out of bed - totally unlike me and a clear warning sign. Went to PCP and he put me on Cymbalta which has slowly pulled me out of it and I will likely go on low dose oral ketamine therapy at two months, once stable, to ameliorate the depression and re-establish deep sleep.
    After my PCP, I saw my MS Neuro and she said that the interferons (esp Interferon alpha, 40-70%) can cause depression, as you bombarding the body with cytokines weekly, for months on end. Only about 15% of Rebif patients get this reaction but depression is a possibility.
    My questions are, -
    -has anyone else experienced this?

-did you stay of Rebif and go on an anti-depressant?

My neurologist would like me to go on Ocrevus, which I am considering, although I have a high JC Virus index (~ 3) she says risk is very low on this med.
    I'd be very interested to hear anyone's experience and/or suggestions!
    Thanks in advance,
    Steve

I've never been on Rebif, but depression is one of those things that can come with the general MS territory. Cymbalta's a good med... I take a 60mg capsule of that every morning, and it should be good for nerve pain as well. *shrug*

If you're looking at changing DMD, look into a pill like Tecfidera or Aubagio. Much easier to take a pill twice a day than give yourself a shot.

Comment

Working...
    X