Gearing up for surgery next week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gearing up for surgery next week

Next Friday, I am having spine surgery for radiculopathy (pinched nerve in cervical spine). ACDF (Anterior Cervical Discectomy and Fusion). I have been in pain since December with my 5th attack and am anxious to get it over with. I'm proud of myself for having worked through the worst pain I have ever experienced. Still have 1 more 12 hr shift after today. It's not MS related, but I have numbness, tingling, burning and excruciating nerve pain from my neck to my finger tips. I know I'm annoying. I had no idea I could get on my own nerves. Lol. Has anyone else ever had this procedure before?

Hi kittysmith - I've never had any kind of back surgery, but had a pinched nerve in my lumbar region 20 years ago, so I know (and remember) the pain!! Just wanted to wish you well and hope all goes well. Will be thinking of you. Let us know how it goes!
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

I don't have any experience with this procedure. I'm fearful of pain and really feel for those dealing with it - MS or not. I have confidence in general with surgical procedures and I wish you the best and a speedy recovery. Take care of yourself and do all you can to make yourself comfortable.

Comment

Originally posted by kittysmith View Post
        Next Friday, I am having spine surgery for radiculopathy (pinched nerve in cervical spine). ACDF (Anterior Cervical Discectomy and Fusion). I have been in pain since December with my 5th attack and am anxious to get it over with. I'm proud of myself for having worked through the worst pain I have ever experienced. Still have 1 more 12 hr shift after today. It's not MS related, but I have numbness, tingling, burning and excruciating nerve pain from my neck to my finger tips. I know I'm annoying. I had no idea I could get on my own nerves. Lol. Has anyone else ever had this procedure before?
        Wishing you the best and hoping everything goes fine for you next Friday, kittysmith!
        All the best, ~G

Comment

Hello,

You have my thoughts and prayers for an outstanding outcome, Kittysmith!!!!

Comment

No experience with this exact condition but also wishing you a good outcome and speedy recovery.
            He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
            Anonymous

Comment

Im praying for a successful surgery and quick and complete recovery. Please give us an update as soon as you can.

Comment

I am wishing wellness and less pain followingvthis upcoming procedure. You are strong and brave! We will be thinking of you kittysmith, so please do keep us posted! 🙏🏼🙏🏼

Comment

kittysmith,
                  Never had this but my thoughts are with you for a smooth and successful procedure!

Comment

Be strong and accept help

Dear kittysmith,
                    My thoughts are with you for your surgery. Good luck.

I've only had one surgery in my long life (cancer), but I remember how big a deal it all is. My only advice is to trust and to be strong.

I had to spend two weeks in nursing home surgical rehab after my surgery. I thought I didn't want it, but, because of my MS, my doctors knew I did. In retrospect, I realize they were right. The PT and OT I got there was so so useful, and it spared my care-giving husband. If this follow-up support is offered to you, I recommend you take it. (OK, food and privacy will be issues, but ... .)

With the best wishes to you,
                    Mermaid Susan
                    "Life is short, and we have but little time to gladden the hearts of those who travel with us; so let us be swift to love, and make haste to be kind."
-Henri Amiel

Comment

Wishing you the best. In the distant past, other than having wisdom teeth removed, I've had two surgeries -- ulner nerve, and sinus.
                      No back surgeries. Hope it goes well.
                      ~ Faith
                      MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                      (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                      - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                      - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                      - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Just read an overview of the procedure- hope you are back and chipper in 4-6 weeks. At least you get some time off to start fusing and healing.

Comment

How're you doing after surgery?

Hi Kittysmith,
                          Did you have the ACDF surgery in February? Did you have one level or more done? How did your recovery go? Now that it's been a few months, would you do it again?

I was told last week that I needed the same surgery and frankly I'm a bundle of squinchy nerves. I "need" 3 levels done, and am more than concerned about having a neck that has severely compromised mobility.

Thanks for your input.
                          Tina
                          "Hope for the best and plan for the worst. That way, all your surprises will be pleasant."
                          Verin Mathwin, The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan

Comment

Working...
                          X