Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How honest is your neurologist about your prognosis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Thinkimjob View Post

They all seem keen to keep RRMS people on the DMD/Ts, even when it’s obvious things have turned the SPMS corner.

I believe they are doing so ro a) give you hope; b) they don’t know what these news drugs might be able to do and c) because they haven’t got anything better to offer.
    As someone who has been SPMS for a while, I would like to suggest another reason. Many now believe that MS is all the same illness and these RRMS / SPMS distinctions are old-fashioned thinking.
    I have read that many DMT's are possibly beneficial for SPMS, but because they are only approved for RRMS neuros don't prescribe them. Insurance won't cover them, generally speaking, because their use doesn't match the declared diagnosis.

It's frustrating and inflexible, but lots of things are. So a neuro who wishes to remain flexible with his or her prescribing for patients may be motivated to keep their diagnosis at RRMS.

Stay lifted,
    Mermaid Susan
    "Life is short, and we have but little time to gladden the hearts of those who travel with us; so let us be swift to love, and make haste to be kind."
-Henri Amiel

Comment

Working...
    X