Game Apps for maintaining mental acuity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Game Apps for maintaining mental acuity

Hello all - I hope everyone is doing as well as possible.

I read a post that mentioned "decoder" - a brain game for increasing/maintaining mental acuity. I have been using nintendo's "brain age" which was written by a neurologist and has studies showing its effectiveness but after 3 years it's hard to keep up and I usually skip the challenging ones that provide the best benefits. I'm going to look up decoder but am curious if anyone else uses phone apps. I also play typeshift and wordwarp but don't know if they help much.

It's been a while since I've been here (beyond reading posts). There have been positives in my life. I met a wonderful man whom I live with. He's in his 30's and while I may not look 48, inside I'm many years older. It makes for an interesting relationship with its own challenges. The biggest in my opinion being my cognitive problems and mood problems. He offers endless support but on one level I have serious guilt getting him involved with all this crap. But we are both odd birds and get each other and have lots of fun.

But I get depressed bc my cog processes are so defective. Also he's a tech wiz and I have some IT and programming background but I think it's proven to be more of a problem bc I can't or won't follow his streams of thought sometimes. We watch nerdy science vids and argue opposing sides. (check out Veritasium on youtube!) He's obsessed with black holes. He did create a fun memory game. But I really sense my decline and it's seriously bumming me out. He works all day but comes home lively and alert while I can barely compose complex sentences by late afternoon. And if I stress out over anything my brain just shuts down.

I think my inability to process info and then make decisions are my biggest problem. Creating a "plan of attack" for some specific goal and then following through.

I still do crosswords and sudoku and even lumosity. What's really depressing about lumosity is that your high scores are posted so I can see the decline before my eyes. My top scores from word bubbles date back to 2012 and my average score has dropped 3,000 points.

I've tried to gently push him away for his own good but at the end we just both end up depressed and nothing has changed. I really wonder if I'm doing him a disservice. And sometimes I just want to sit alone and not think too much. But I do have most of the day for that. Maybe I should create a new schedule so my evenings are really my mornings. Umm, that's just weird.

But to get back on track, does anyone have any fun brain apps that don't tire easily?

Thank you and best to everyone.

Hi sardi_g - It's been awhile! I can't really give you any suggestions, but thanks for yours. I think keeping our minds sharp is just as important as keeping our physical health in good form... as much as possible.

I'm happy for you that there's a new partner in your life, making you both happy.
    I gave my now husband a way out years ago, but he wouldn't budge. We are now both growing old together

Wishing you the best!
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

I really can't help with apps. I go old school though, working on puzzles that are more logic oriented. I found it at Barnes and Noble with their puzzle book area. I do crosswords and suduko as well, but the logic puzzles really make me work. Things like a story with different people and clues, so you have to cross associate and deduce to eliminate people to answer questions. Or puzzles that have numbers and you have to figure out next number, etc...

My neuro is always encouraging me to learn an instrument or a language. He says the more senses you engage during an activity, the more benefit to your brain.

Glad you found someone who makes you happy and is supportive. Happiness also helps our brains!
      Kathy
      DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Hi Kathy,

I just started learning mandolin a few weeks ago. I've learned other instruments (poorly) in the past, but this time, I'm taking a super structured approach to it. I keep a chart of what I'll practice and how many times and try to keep myself moving forward.

Is my brain any sharper? I dunno. But it takes my mind off of things on days when everything else seems dark and hopeless. Maybe your neuro knows that as well.

Mable

Comment

Try http://www.craniumcrunches.com , it is free.

Comment

I'm really interested in learning more about this and have actually asked a few people about it. I play a game called 1010 where you move the blocks around to complete a row which then disappears. (somewhat like tetris, except they're not falling from the top of the screen) Personally I like to think that it's helping at least my spatial ability, and would actually like to see some scientific research that shows that it does--mainly because I'd like to justify me playing it!

Comment

Working...
            X