Optimism Improves Health

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by REG53 View Post
    I for one believe optimism helps improve health but only with Gods help am I able to be optimistic and even then it can be hard at times.

A few years ago I ask my neuro about taking LDN and he said it would be a waste of time. I don't know if his opinion has change.

Thank you Myoak for all the infor.
    You are so welcome!

It is important to stay positive in spite of difficult challenges.

LDN helps me be more positive, I am convinced of that. It seems to do the same for the majority, not all but the majority, who take it based on the limited studies we have.

So, let's think about what your doctor said... LDN would be, "a waste of time". How does he know that if he has no experience on which to base his opinion? How many patients has he had on LDN and for what length of time?

Compare that or any doctor's experience having zero patients on LDN to Dr. Turel's experience at Penn State with 215 patients on LDN over a 7 year period.

Professional opinion not backed by experience and knowledge is only speculation no matter how many years of schooling or prior training. Specific knowledge is required about LDN because it is unique. Opinion weak in knowledge is unreliable, especially in medicine.

LDN, is a "waste of time'? How is that known? What studies form the basis for that opinion?

This much we do know REG... based on figures from Penn State there is a 60% chance of people with MS experiencing an improvement in fatigue using harmless LDN.

What we need are patients and doctors willing to PROVE it is a waste of time; not merely SAY it is a waste of time. Talk is cheap.

I recommend people try LDN. And why bother your doctor about it if the good doctor isn't interested? Most will only discourage your efforts with predictable negativity. The only medical reason for not taking LDN is that it counters opioid pain meds. LDN does no harm. LDN does no harm. LDN does no harm! What is the first consideration in treatment? "First, do no harm".

Oh Marti!

I did find a small German study using LDN for PTSD...

Low dose naltrexone in the treatment of dissociative symptoms

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25421416

Quote.... "RESULTS:
    The low dose treatment with naltrexone proved to be effective whereby 11 out of 15 patients reported immediate positive effects and 7 described a lasting helpful effect. The majority of patients who felt positive effects reported a clearer perception of both their surroundings and their inner life. Assessment of reality and dealing with it improved as did the perception of their own body and affects as well as self-regulation. The treatment was very low in side effects."

Comment

There are health benefits to being positive and optimistic about our life and the future.

Optimism and Its Impact on Mental and Physical Well-Being

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2894461/

Quote... "Through an adaptive management of personal goals and development and by using active coping tactics, optimists are significantly more successful than pessimists in aversive events and when important life-goals are impaired.

Clinics should develop an application form of optimism concept in Applied Psychology and in Psychotherapy. As a matter of fact, application form of optimism concept should be integrated in treatments and prevention programs respectively in mental and physical health, to improve well-being."

Comment

Health benefits of positive thinking

Researchers continue to explore the effects of positive thinking and optimism on health. Health benefits that positive thinking may provide include:

• Increased life span
        • Lower rates of depression
        • Lower levels of distress
        • Greater resistance to the common cold
        • Better psychological and physical well-being
        • Better cardiovascular health and reduced risk of death from cardiovascular disease
        • Better coping skills during hardships and times of stress

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-l...g/art-20043950

Comment

Myoak , It was years ago when I ask him about LDN. He may think differently now. It will be awhile before I see him again and I will bring it up.
          God Bless Us All

Comment

Thanks MyOak. A few months ago, I had started a thread wondering about the impact optimism has. I hadn't done any research into studies, but you have done for that for me! Obviously, I knew it had a perceived quality of luck feel impact. But it is great to hear the positive physical impacts it can have!

So now I have Monty Python's "Always look on the bright side of life..." playing over and over again in my head! Yikes - showing my age.
            Kathy
            DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Originally posted by pennstater View Post
              Thanks MyOak. A few months ago, I had started a thread wondering about the impact optimism has. I hadn't done any research into studies, but you have done for that for me! Obviously, I knew it had a perceived quality of luck feel impact. But it is great to hear the positive physical impacts it can have!
              Time magazine has an issue just out with "The Art of Optimism" as the feature...

The issue is guest-edited by filmmaker Ava DuVernay.

http://time.com/optimists-2019/

“In this project, we explore not only the idea of optimism but its representation. The literal visibility of the proverbial bright side. To me, that is the job of art. To meet us where we are and to invite us in—to think, to feel, to wonder, to dream, to debate, to laugh, to resist, to roam, to imagine.”

"While we live at a time when division is the norm; when biases and beliefs seem static and immobile; when hard science is debatable; when journalism is devalued; when humanity is stripped from those in cells, centers and shelters; when it’s all just too much to organize in our heads, art calls to the optimism within us and beckons us to breathe.”

When she was invited to guest-edit the Time issue, “national headlines were what we’ve come to expect¬: bigotry, poverty, injustice, trauma, trouble.”

She continues: “I weighed my own feelings of despair and doubt against the idea of reveling in an experience dedicated to optimism. … This issue is a gift to me, a necessary reminder to grasp joy with both arms and embrace it like a great love.”

"In these pages, we explore not only the idea of optimism but its representation. ... we celebrate and suggest ways that one can find inspiration in our present moment through the work of artists who carve a path for us all…"

Comment

Guillermo del Toro Is Choosing Optimism in 2019 — Read His Beautiful Essay Explaining Why

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/02/gu...ay-1202042043/

“Optimism is radical. It is the hard choice, the brave choice. And it is, it seems to me, most needed now, in the face of despair — just as a car is most useful when you have a distance to close. Otherwise it is a large, unmovable object parked in the garage.

These days, the safest way for someone to appear intelligent is being skeptical by default. We seem sophisticated when we say “we don’t believe” and disingenuous when we say “we do.”

History and fable have both proven that nothing is ever entirely lost. David can take Goliath. A beach in Normandy can turn the tide of war. Bravery can topple the powerful. These facts are often seen as exceptional, but they are not. Every day, we all become the balance of our choices — choices between love and fear, belief or despair. No hope is ever too small.

Optimism is our instinct to inhale while suffocating. Our need to declare what “needs to be” in the face of what is. Optimism is not uncool; it is rebellious and daring and vital.
                The American writer Theodore Sturgeon once said: “Ninety percent of everything is crap” and I believe he was right. But surely that also means that “Ten percent of everything is worth the damn effort.”

And so it goes time after time, choice after choice, that we decide to leave behind a biography or an epitaph. Look around you now and decide between the two.

Inhale or die.

Comment

Effects of optimism on recovery and mental health after a tornado outbreak

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5548589/

Objective

Dispositional optimism, a stable expectation that good things will happen, has been shown to improve health outcomes in a wide range of contexts, but very little research has explored the impact of optimism on post-disaster health and well-being.

Design

Data for this study come from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s Public health systems and mental health community recovery (PHSMHCR) Survey. Participants included 3216 individuals living in counties affected by the April 2011 tornado outbreak in Mississippi and Alabama.

Main outcome measures

This study assesses the effect of dispositional optimism on post-disaster recovery and mental health.

Conclusion

This study evaluates for the first time the effect of dispositional optimism on the recovery and well-being of individuals exposed to a disaster. It also confirms previous findings linking optimism and mental health in other contexts. This work suggests the utility of screening for optimism, along with the potential for interventions to increase optimism as a means of mitigating adverse mental health effects and improving the recovery of individuals affected by disasters and other traumatic events.

Comment

Oprimism does encourage healthful habits

Dear Myoak,
                    Thank you for your good research on optimism. I notice that optimism supports all my self-care efforts: daily water exercise, good low-carb eating choices, and playtime. On "up" days these are all so easy. Other days, these habits seem to turn a "down" day up.
                    Stay lifted,
                    Mermaid Susan
                    "Life is short, and we have but little time to gladden the hearts of those who travel with us; so let us be swift to love, and make haste to be kind."
-Henri Amiel

Comment

Working...
                    X