Are you trapped in the Polar Vortex?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are you trapped in the Polar Vortex?

I can't believe how cold it has become for many of you surrounded by the frigid air, snow, ice and wind chill!

I lived in the midwest as a child/young adult and in Alaska in my 30's so I can remember how it sometimes hurt to breathe the cold air and driving was a challenge.

For those affected, I hope you all play it safe and stay home if you can!!

(I'm so glad I don't have to live in those cold places anymore. Too old and disabled to face those conditions.)
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

I'm a total weenie for the cold and can't imagine how people who live in places like Chicago manage. Just walking on slick sidewalks makes me nervous now that I'm older. DH and I plan to head for Florida in the near future likely first as snowbirds then if we live long enough as full time residents. I'll take the heat, with AC of course, over the bitter cold any day.

I hope everyone stays warm and safe!
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    Anonymous

Comment

It's so flipping cold out!!!! Right now it's -20 (C not F) but FEELS like -32 with the wind chill. That's what I don't get, if it feels like -32 then it IS -32!! Everything seems impossible right now, even going to the mall.... I don't drive but there's a bus stop literally right outside my door. I'll be dressed for outside then absolutely boiling in the mall carrying a giant coat and all the winter accessories plus my cane.

Last week I said "At least we haven't heard Polar Vortex", I spoke too soon, just heard it yesterday. Don't even get me started on the snow! It's deeper than my poor pup. I wish I was one of those people who enjoy winter sports, it's perfect for y'all. It's supposed to be +3 on Sunday, shorts weather by comparison. At least it's Feb in a couple of days, it's easier to swallow the cold and snow because the next month has the word "spring" in it lol.

Jen
      RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
      "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Wow, Cat Mom - Brrrrr - I can't even envision! I heard it's colder than the Arctic and Siberia in places. Stay safe and warm.
        1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
        Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

It was minus 4 when we woke up this morning going up to 10 in northeast Pa. Hubby has both wood stoves on and the oil heat still running. Supposed to warm up.

Shoo
          Shoo

Comment

Global warming models predict this type of variations

I can't believe how cold it has become for many of you
            Having lived in Alaska for years with the US Army doing its best to freeze our butts off (my personal low, -58) it seems this weather is even worse.

Of course, today I'm not in my 20s and in the peak of health; being 50+ and on immuno-suppressants with MS screwing up my temperature regulation system makes it a different story.

The various global warming computer climate models (there are many of them, and scientists argue about which ones are more accurate and which ones are in error) predict this type of weather. It's all caused by the warming arctic and global warming screwing with and changing the jet streams. That creates the polar vortex that pushes that cold arctic air further south instead of keeping it corralled in northern Canada where it typically is.
            59M / RRMS / Dx1987 / Ocrevus

Comment

It's just a little cold here in Minnesota. Xcel Energy has asked all their customers to turn down there thermostats to 63 degrees. because of some outages.

Comment

It was cold in Kansas yesterday; it got down to 14F. But, it didn't feel as horrible as it sounded because the sun was out and there was no wind. Today, it's in the mid-thirties, so not so bad.

I grew up in Canada and have friends and family there. It's pretty cold there in some parts. Wind chill, Tuesday night, was -62C (-79F) in the Winnipeg area. Even growing up in Canada, I never experienced that kind of cold.

I have family in the Winnipeg, Saskatoon, and Edmonton areas. But, oddly. although Edmonton is the furthest north of those three locations, it was warmer there on Tuesday than Kansas, even though Winnipeg and Saskatoon were experiencing deep cold. My daughter posted a photo on Facebook, close to Winnipeg, of her bundled up and walking the two blocks to work. She said her eyelashes had frost on them when she arrived. (It's easier to walk than messing with plugging the car in and driving in such cold weather for such a short distance.)

I remember, like it was yesterday (although it was 40+ years ago), walking to and from school (3/4 mile) in -40C (-40F; it's the same in both). Just thinking about it, it's like I can still feel my numb fingers and toes and earlobes, etc. And, then, it's when they begin to warm up inside and thaw out that they burn.
                ~ Faith
                MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Housebound for the second day

It is very cold again today. Yesterday it was -27° F with a windchill of -50° F. This morning, the same temperature, although the wind is less. Predicted to get above 0° F sometime later this evening. If the car will start (at 250,000 miles, it's an issue), Tom has agreed to get me to choir practice.

There have been no pool workouts for these past two days, even if I could get to the club. Even dog Holly spends he minimum outside to do her duty. She's play-crazed, as am I. Cabin fever!!!!

Stay lifted,
                  Mermaid Susan
                  "Life is short, and we have but little time to gladden the hearts of those who travel with us; so let us be swift to love, and make haste to be kind."
-Henri Amiel

Comment

Are you trapped in the polar vortex?

My heart goes out to all of you who are having such history-making lows during the polar vortex. I live in central California and thank God we've been in the low-to-mid 60s but it's almost unfathomable to think that in some places there's between a -120 to a -130 degree difference in temperatures!

My prayers go out to all of you during this time! Stay safe and keep us updated!

Comment

I can't imagine. Yesterday was cold here, but not anywhere near what some areas were experiencing. The car thermomostat said -4 in the am!

I like the cold, but not like yesterday. The wind was brutal. Today, I went for my walk when it was 14 and light snow. The wind thankfully was fairly light. I was dressed right in many layers and waterproof gear. The local Creek was running high the other day - now it is frozen over with ice and snow on top. I was fortunate to see a few deer, a red fox, a beautiful male cardinal, and tons of geese. Love seeing animals in snow.

I ran into someone filming their walk - they never saw snow before. The pure joy in his face. While he was middle-aged, he looked like a little kid - so excited. It made my day.
                      Kathy
                      DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Originally posted by pennstater View Post
                        I ran into someone filming their walk - they never saw snow before. The pure joy in his face. While he was middle-aged, he looked like a little kid - so excited. It made my day.
                        Awww. That's sweet.
                        ~ Faith
                        MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                        (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                        - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                        - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                        - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

We've been very lucky in southern Missouri this year so far. So, I'm not in the Polar Vortex, but every time I listen to the news about the rest of the country, my anxiety kicks up. Hate to hear that people are suffering with this crazy winter weather.
                          Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

Originally posted by marti View Post
                            We've been very lucky in southern Missouri this year so far. So, I'm not in the Polar Vortex, but every time I listen to the news about the rest of the country, my anxiety kicks up. Hate to hear that people are suffering with this crazy winter weather.
                            marti

Not to worry today.

My area was in the Polar Vortex (NW Ohio), with double digit below zero temps, and it is 55 degrees right now!

Take Care
                            PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
                            ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Originally posted by KoKo View Post
                              marti

Not to worry today.

My area was in the Polar Vortex (NW Ohio), with double digit below zero temps, and it is 55 degrees right now!

Take Care
                              KoKo I am from Cleveland. Most of my family is still there. Moved to the Ozarks in 1978. I remember those high snow days!! But we still went to school.
                              Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

Working...
                              X