MS and cancer how common is it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS and cancer how common is it?

Just had a biopsy of an area the oncologists thought was suspicious. Won't know the result for a week or so. Just wondering how many of us suffer with other serious issues.
    DIAGNOSED=2012
    ISSUES LONG BEFORE
    REBIF 1 YEAR

I have no insight, but wanted to offer some support. Good luck with the oncologist. I hope you don't have to wait too long to discuss with the Doc.

I know there are a few people on her who have battled cancer along with MS. Hope they are along soon.
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Hi mercadies25

Originally posted by mercadies25 View Post
      Just had a biopsy of an area the oncologists thought was suspicious. Won't know the result for a week or so.
      Good luck with your test results. Hopefully you'll have good news next week.

Just wondering how many of us suffer with other serious issues.
      So far, thankfully, I have no other serious issues besides PPMS.

But I do know that things can (and often do) change in a hot minute.

Wishing you the best.

Take Care
      PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
      ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Thanks been very helpful! I can't and won't do MS and cancer. Again so much discussed but no info on this. 😢
        DIAGNOSED=2012
        ISSUES LONG BEFORE
        REBIF 1 YEAR

Comment

Thanks been very helpful! I can't and won't do MS and cancer. Again so much discussed but no info on this. 😢
          mercadies25

The most recent articles that I have found suggest no increased risk of cancer in persons with MS.

Decreased prevalence of cancer in patients with multiple sclerosis: A case-control study
          https://journals.plos.org/plosone/ar...l.pone.0188120

Decreased risk of cancer in multiple sclerosis patients and analysis of the effect of disease modifying therapies on cancer risk
          https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...640?via%3Dihub

Lifetime Cancer Risk Lower in MS Patients Than General Public, Study Reports
          https://multiplesclerosisnewstoday.c...ents-in-study/

Take Care
          ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

One would think a MS diagnosis would be sufficient to earn us a free pass on other ailments? Unfortunately not but I hope all is well and this is just a false alarm. Please keep us posted.
            He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
            Anonymous

Comment

I had cancer

I had breast cancer one year before my dx for MS though I know I had MS for many years before that. My cancer was taken care of and I did not need a mastectomy or chemo. I am doing fine now but have had a few cancer scares since then that turned out to be NOT cancer.

Good luck with your oncologist and don't lose hope.

Comment

I had stage IIIb lung cancer in 1996, treated with chemo & radiation, followed by a metastasis to the brain in 1998, treated with resection & focused ('cyber-knife') radiation. In late 2009 (Thanksgiving Day) I had my first MS sx (paresthesia in my foot).

Just for fun (ha!), I had another lung cancer in 2016 (treated with resection of the lower right lobe & chemo) that has since metastasized to locations in both lungs. There hasn't been any obvious change in my MS, even though I also stopped using Copaxone this past summer.

A few of my doctors have said that they think the MS was 'triggered' by the first cancer and/or the treatment (chemo, radiation)...
                1st sx 11/26/09; Copaxone from 12/1/11 to 7/13/18
                NOT ALL SX ARE MS!

Comment

Originally posted by MarkLavelle View Post
                  I had stage IIIb lung cancer in 1996, treated with chemo & radiation, followed by a metastasis to the brain in 1998, treated with resection & focused ('cyber-knife') radiation. In late 2009 (Thanksgiving Day) I had my first MS sx (paresthesia in my foot).

Just for fun (ha!), I had another lung cancer in 2016 (treated with resection of the lower right lobe & chemo) that has since metastasized to locations in both lungs. There hasn't been any obvious change in my MS, even though I also stopped using Copaxone this past summer.

A few of my doctors have said that they think the MS was 'triggered' by the first cancer and/or the treatment (chemo, radiation)...
                  Wow! I just don't understand how you do it. I've already decided Im not going through any treatments. I'm just done with all this crap. You are way stronger than I am! Thank you for sharing.
                  DIAGNOSED=2012
                  ISSUES LONG BEFORE
                  REBIF 1 YEAR

Comment

Almost everyone gets cancer if they live long enough. (I mean seriously, look up the statistics, it's something like 90% of 80 years olds have had some sort of cancer.)
                    We're living longer now, therefore more people are getting cancer.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkLavelle View Post

You have been given more than your fair share of trials in life. You truly are a warrior.

I always pray that should I ever need strength, that I can draw on the strength of my parents and grandparents, part of the WW1 and WWII generation. They lived and thrived thru so much. I may have to add you to that list.

God bless.
                      Kathy

Comment

Wow! I just don't understand how you do it. I've already decided Im not going through any treatments. I'm just done with all this crap. You are way stronger than I am! Thank you for sharing.
                        Did you get your results? Thoughts are with you.
                        Kathy

Comment

Originally posted by pennstater View Post
                          Did you get your results? Thoughts are with you.
                          Going to his office today at 1:15
                          DIAGNOSED=2012
                          ISSUES LONG BEFORE
                          REBIF 1 YEAR

Comment

mercadies25.

Wishing you strength and courage, and also a good report.

Take Care

Comment

Good positive thoughts for you and stay strong!!
                              1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                              Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Working...
                              X