Weightloss Checkin Group: Weighin For 1/17/19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weightloss Checkin Group: Weighin For 1/17/19

I am posting early. Feel like I am going to pass out.

Hi everyone. It is good to again be among the living. I had a trip to the emergency room after lapsing into unconsciousness. I had heart tests among other things and nothing wrong was found. It may have been a reaction to medication to reduce edema in my legs which may have caused my blood pressure to go down too low. My daughter in law is being overly cautious. She hired a home health care worker who is here now. I can find absolutely nothing for her to do. I had her wash a few clothes. The house is in tip top ship shape because my daughter in law keeps it that way. I will just have the worker putter because I don’t know what else to do.

I lost 2.5 pounds but am afraid it is mostly fluid as mentioned above. I thus weigh 125.5. I will try not to gain as my weight stabilizes.

Agate, sorry to miss you and hope you are well and have continued to lose.

Mamabug, sorry about your tiny gain but am happy you are still in maintenance mode. You are really doing great. Keep up the good work.

Hsmaldo, so sorry to hear about your gain. I know how frustrating that can be. I hate to sound trite but the truth is that there is no secret to losing weight. It is just cutting back consistently. It sounds so simple but can be so hard to do. I too have been having difficulty losing what I gained these last few months. I vow I will eat less but find myself not following through. My daughter in laws delicious meals are ever tempting. I wan you to know I am in your corner and am cheering you on.

Msgijo, good for you for continuing to be below your target. You are clearly doing the right things over the long haul. We can all take lessons from you. Continue fighting the good fight.

Daisycat, good for you for continuing to show a loss. You will reach your final goal in no time.

For those who may have an interest in joining our dedicated group, our members each have their own personal methods of weight loss. Some are on Weight Watchers, some on Atkins for example and some just cut calories. I personally lost quite a lot of weight in the beginning using Atkins and then just cut portions while eating everything. The method is not the most important thing, it is staying focused and following the plan.

We post weight loss, gain, stayed the same, from Thursday to Thursday and have been doing so for over 16 years. We are truly dedicated to get rid of those pesky pounds and keep them off. You don’t have to state your actual weight. It’s a matter of choice.

Tip For The Week:

Lighten the Foods You Already Love

One of the easiest ways to cut back without feeling denied is to switch to lower-calorie versions of the foods you crave. A pizza tastes just as good with reduced-fat cheese, and when you garnish low-fat ice cream with your favorite toppers, who notices those missing calories?

And while you're trimming fat calories, keep an eye on boosting fiber, suggests registered dietitian Elaine Magee, RD, MPH, author of Tell Me What to Eat If I Suffer From Heart Disease and Food Synergy.

Fiber helps you feel satisfied longer, so while you lighten family favorites, you can easily amp up the fiber by adding a cup of whole wheat flour to your pizza dough, or toss a handful of red bell peppers on the pie.

Don't forget to lighten the drinks going with that meal. Try switching from high-calorie favorites to diet soda or light beer, or maybe add a spitz of seltzer to your wine.

Hate low-cal drinks? Mix your preferred drinks with a splash of the low-cal option, then increase the ratio as your taste buds adjust. And don't forget to keep pouring that ultimate beverage, says Magee:

Weight Loss Results:

Total Loss:

4.1 pounds by two members. It is heartening to see losses as we continue on into the New Year. May we all continue to go forrard.

Total Gain:

5.1 pounds by two members. It is positive that you fess up as painful as it may be. Facing the truth is the first step in reversing the process.

Stayed The Same:

0 members. As we know, staying the same truly is success, including for those who are maintaining. Just keep remembering it is the time before the next loss if you have more to lose. Also staying the same is a signal that you are eating the right amount to maintain your losses.

4178.1 is the total weight loss for the past 16+ years. We hit a new milestone. We now have lost over two tons for which we should be proud. That truly is phenomenal.

Karen, sorry to hear you're feeling so poorly. Passing out and feeling like you're going to pass out is a scary thing. I must admit, I'm glad your daughter in law is being overly cautious by having a home health care worker there with you. It's like car insurance--it's annoying to pay the premiums, most of the time you don't need it, but boy is it great that it's there when you need it!

I wouldn't worry about trying to keep the worker occupied with things to do. Providing a social aspect to your life is also a function of the position, so I would see about going that route--building a rapport. IF the worker is not someone you feel that comfortable doing that with, maybe discuss with your daughter in law because if you're feeling more restricted and tense because of the worker's presence, that's not helpful either. (But as you know, it can take some time to warm up to someone) But maybe the worker can help you be more mobile (walks, moving around the house, or whatever else you would like to do, but aren't readily able to do on your own?)

You don't sound trite--it's something I already know, but as we all know--it's one thing to know what you're supposed to do and quite another to actually DO what you want to do!

So, I'm down 2.1 lbs from 233.3 to 231.2, which makes it seem like this may be from water retention. I have been drinking a lot more water than I have been previously, so maybe it's my body trying to find some balance.

I am trying to be more mindful of what I'm eating. I made brown rice the for dinner the other night instead of white rice. I skipped the soda with dinner and have tried to cut back on the snacking.

While I was grocery shopping last night, I picked up my favorite salad dressing and was looking first at the calories (I tend to water my dressing down so I get the flavor with fewer calories) when I looked at the ingredient list and saw that it had MSG! I try to stay away from MSG as it can trigger my migraines and was so upset that it was in there. I felt rather duped actually--I never expected it to be in salad dressings! Apparently, quite a few brands of the ranch and creamy dressings have it. Guess that's a reason to switch back to a vinaigrette.

So, I will try to continue to be consistent with making small variations/modifications as the tips Karen included suggest doing. So far with my goal of drinking more water, I have consistently hit my goal since I began. Sleep however, I am still struggling with--Hubby and kids are part of the problem and I am almost to the point of letting them do whatever they want while I go to bed.

I'm glad the weekend is coming up. I need some sleep!! Have a great weekend everyone!

Comment

Stayed the same. Remained in maintenance goal.

My most recent goal weight was 121.0-122.8 lbs.
      My maintenance goal is to remain within +/- 5 lbs. (116.0-127.8 lbs).
      Where I'd currently like to be is at or below a BMI of 22.0 (weight <121.0).

Recent weights:
      01/17/18: 123.4 lbs (BMI 22.4)
      01/10/18: 123.4 lbs (BMI 22.4)

-------------------
      BMI calculator:
      https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/edu.../BMI/bmi-m.htm
      ~ Faith
      MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
      (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
      - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
      - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
      - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Lost 1.4 pounds.

1/10 117.2 (BMI 20.1)
        1/17 115.8 (BMI 19.9)

While I am still below my last 'goal weight', I am not happy with the yo-yo's that I am having. So I am going to change my GOAL weight to reflect where I seem to be staying at.
        New goal weight is 117 (+/- 2 pounds). Now I am IN my goal range !

Karen, Great loss ! But I am worried about you otherwise. Much as you wish to live on your own (as any of us would) it does appear that you are better off being with family now. I think that using hsmaldo's idea of using the home health care worker to help you do activities that you would like to do is a great one - a win-win situation. They wouldn't be bored and you will get to enjoy some things that you aren't able to do on your own.

Mamabug - Great job staying the same ! Maintenance may be even harder than loosing weight, but I guess that is sorta comparative as to where you are standing when that statement is made . Keep up the good fight!

hsmaldo - Awesome loss ! You are most likely correct in the thought that your body is trying to figure out a balance with all the extra water that it has craved for so long (keep it or use it?).
        And I am so with you on reading labels . My husband gets so outdone with me concerning the amount of time it takes me to shop for food, but I feel the need to 1) check out sodium, fat, carbs and other nasty things lurking in the food, and 2) compare the prices for the better deal. THEN I have to decide if the extra price is really worth what I am gaining in the selections that I made concerning ingredients.
        While you are checking out the ingredients in your foods make sure to check out snacks also. Nuts are a 'good for you' snack. Fresh fruit is good in moderation. Check out dark chocolate. Even some cookies (not the kinds we grab first!) can be eaten as snacks.
        And what is the problem with going to bed at YOUR bedtime and leaving everybody else up? I do it all the time. Of course there is only me and dh here at home, but still. I have to admit that he normally beats me to bed, but that works both ways.

GREAT EFFORT EVERYBODY . Keep it up .

Comment

Last weight was 101-102. Today I was finally at my goal of 100. Not sure what to do from here.

i still feel like I have flap on my stomach that needs to go away but I know I’m building muscle because I can lift much heavier patients by myself. So maybe a pound at a time and see what happens.

Comment

Congratulations to everyone who made progress!

I'm crowing because I'm finally at 115--lost a pound. For me that's an achievement. I was stuck around 120 for years.

I'm still aiming for 108-112 but am much happier now that I've made it down to 115.
            MEMBER OF MS WORLD SINCE 4/03.

SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/4/07-5/15/10.

Comment

Working...
            X