Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Daisycat -- Optimism vs pessimism

Originally posted by Daisycat View Post
    The reason I do not think a therapist will help me is because I still can’t even say the words of what this is. I have two names I call it. Disease (one I use here) and another that I will not say.

I am working hard to live in avoidance and denial.
    Those are, exactly, two of the reasons why you need a therapist.
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
    Lol, I am cracking up because a girlfriend of mine who is a therapist said this exact same thing to me when I told her I was far too hyper to embrace yoga.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by Jules A View Post
      Lol, I am cracking up because a girlfriend of mine who is a therapist said this exact same thing to me when I told her I was far too hyper to embrace yoga.
      Mine was when I said I couldn't keep my mind from racing on trying meditation! Never did get quite there, but amateur at mindfulness now.
      Kathy
      DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Yes.

It's ironic, Daisycat, how openly acknowledging your dysfunctions, seems to you to "confirm" that you don't need a therapist.

Jules' friend needed yoga because she was hyper.

Pennstater needed meditation because her mind was racing.

Daisycat needs a therapist because she is in avoidance and denial.

None of the above are valid reasons to avoid seeking the help you need.
        ~ Faith
        (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
        - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.

- Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Yes.

Pennstater needed meditation because her mind was racing.
          Have to admit, this was even pre-MS😱 I always had to be planning next steps, mostly work, but sometimes life. Couldn't be in the moment. MS forced this change, and a good one it is. I love being in the moment.
          Kathy

Comment

Originally posted by pennstater View Post
            Mine was when I said I couldn't keep my mind from racing on trying meditation! Never did get quite there, but amateur at mindfulness now.
            Same! And before MS too. I did attend a waterfront sunset yoga with a group of girlfriends one time and it wasn't awful like I anticipated just not my bag. But yeah I probably could use it.
            He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
            Anonymous

Comment

Everybody deals with this stuff different. No therapy for me either. I’m supposed to be the leader , I’m supposed to be the problem solver , I’m supposed to be the provider, supposed to be the protector. I have to stay strong, for everyone. MS makes it so tough. The longer I fight, the harder it gets, the easier it becomes. I’ve changed. Sometimes the war is from within. Whatever it takes ,sometimes you have to win it on your own. Other times help just shows up , like here. Thanks to everyone.
              It was one agains't 2.5million toughest one we ever fought.

Comment

Originally posted by pennstater View Post
                I use the rosary as meditation. Never realized how good meditative prayer was until I tried it. And it has the added benefit of taking your mind off yourself. 🙂

Comment

Sorry for 2 responses. I should have put the 2 together.

Daisy could be me. I had the hardest time saying that I had MS. That was because I wasn't sure, even though the dr was. I think it has a lot to do with the way MS is diagnosed. It takes forever to get the diagnosis, and by then you've latched on to any thing else it could be (or that it's nothing) as a lifeline. It doesn't help that the early symptoms (except optic neuritis) are often written off as nothing. If I had had optic neuritis, I would have had an easier time with believing the diagnosis.

Comment

Mama

i know you mean well , but I’ve got my denial, avoidance, and other distractions down.

Focus on my job, weight, pet sitting, working out, and random delivery jobs when I have nothing else to do.

Gotta save money for bucket list stuff somehow.

With my new actives I’m actually learning to be happy. I’ll never be happy accepting this curse so I might as well make the most of what time I have left.

Im eating healthy, taking medicine, vitamins , etc. (stuff everyone should do really)

I know most people don’t agree and that’s fine but I’ll never be happy accepting this curse. I know where that would lead so I’m going to make sure I’m the best at everything I do for however long I have left

Comment

Originally posted by Daisycat View Post
                      ... I’ve got my denial, avoidance, and other distractions down.
                      Yup; you do.
                      ~ Faith
                      (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

Yup; you do.
                        and if it allows me to be happy or at least not miserable saving for Switzerland miserable there is nothing wrong with it.

I have made peace with my plans , I am hoping it’s a long way away but I finished my will today and made my medical wishes known. (My drs have it on file) I’ve dealt with all the stupid end stuff and now I’m going to avoid thinking about this for the most part.

ive found what works for me and it’s not going to work for everyone but avoidance, distraction, and easing the pain with tattoos and piercings when it does get bad works for me.

I’m still going to be eating disgustingly healthy, working out 6 days a week, seeing my neuro hopefully once a year, taking vitamins, checking out latest news on this stuff....

but I can’t live with acceptance or this disease. That would mean a long and hard relationship with dr google and he’s already done enough to destroy my life so I need to stay away from him.

This website isn’t bad because I love the weight loss/goals/gratitude. It helps me stay focused on what I need to do

Comment

Yes.

It's ironic, Daisycat, how openly acknowledging your dysfunctions, seems to you to "confirm" that you don't need a therapist.

Daisycat needs a therapist because she is in avoidance and denial.

None of the above are valid reasons to avoid seeking the help you need.
                          I think actually feeling happy (not going that far l guess ) but not actively planning for my first Switzerland visit in the next few months and using that money on other stuff should mean something.

i know how this disease ends. I am not living like that. I’ll avoid it as long as I can

Comment

Yup; you do.
                            I might agree if DC's post weren't all over the place, saying happy one minute and then miserable and crying. To me, it says strategy isn't working. Yes, we all have our you and downs, but the frequency of swings is insight to determining how well dealing.
                            Kathy

Comment

Daisycat,

You are the bees knees for this site!

Much like even a definition of "bees knees" is all over the place... everything from a nonsense catchphrase from the 1920's flappers to a highly admired person to a meaning of sweet and good because the knees of a bee is where all the sweet stuff is collected.

Lots of good stuff such as discussion, controversy, and learning sticks to you like honey to a bee. Sweet!

Comment

Working...
                              X