ADA accomadations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ADA accomadations

My MS sx have increase dramatically the past year, to the point I can no longer do my job and will be asking my neuro to request ADA accommodations. I am still capable of working, just not dong my specific job duties. I work for a large company that has many open positions.

My questions is: legally do I have to accept whatever position I may be offered, even if it's something I think I wouldn't be good at or with a manager I don't want to work with?

Also, I am being advised my family and friends to seek legal council to make sure my rights are protected - your thoughts on this?

Thank you!
    DX 10/2008
    Beta Babe 12/2008-07/2013
    Tecfidera 07/2013-01/2018
    Aubagio 01/18-09/20

Ocrevus 09/20-present

Originally posted by Toomnyhats View Post
    My MS sx have increase dramatically the past year, to the point I can no longer do my job and will be asking my neuro to request ADA accommodations. I am still capable of working, just not dong my specific job duties. I work for a large company that has many open positions.

My questions is: legally do I have to accept whatever position I may be offered, even if it's something I think I wouldn't be good at or with a manager I don't want to work with?

Also, I am being advised my family and friends to seek legal council to make sure my rights are protected - your thoughts on this?

Thank you!
    Hi Toomnyhats ~

I was fortunate that my employer (US Postal Service) had light duty positions available, which enabled me to continue working longer than I could have with the original job that I was hired for.

I had no problems getting the light duty, thankfully. My MS deficits were visible and worsening as time passed.

This info, from the Job Accommodations Network (JAN), is very helpful and should answer most of your questions:

Employees' Practical Guide to Requesting and Negotiating Reasonable Accommodation Under the Americans with Disabilities Act

https://askjan.org/publications/indi...oyee-guide.cfm

Good luck, Toomnyhats.

Take Care
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Thank you KoKo, this is exactly the information I was looking for!
      DX 10/2008
      Beta Babe 12/2008-07/2013
      Tecfidera 07/2013-01/2018
      Aubagio 01/18-09/20

Ocrevus 09/20-present

Comment

ME TOO

I also could not preform my job any more so i considered the same asking for accomations but a new job would be at a lower pay rate!! So if you need to go on disability it is based on the low wage !!!i I chose disability due to age , work history, and $$$

Comment

Originally posted by limppy View Post
          I also could not preform my job any more so i considered the same asking for accomations but a new job would be at a lower pay rate!! So if you need to go on disability it is based on the low wage !!!i I chose disability due to age , work history, and $$$
          Agree that if pay cut, you need to take some time and consider tradeoffs. Obviously if you work, you have a higher salary than SSDI and LTD, if fortunate to have LTD. There are also the health benefits, and other benefits to consider. Along with the intangles a job brings - socialization, pride, etc...

So along with age and above, need to guesstimate how long you think you could work at a different job if taking a cut since LTD and SSDI then based on lower earnings.

Lots of luck.
          Kathy
          DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Working...
          X