Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much time do you spend on the couch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much time do you spend on the couch?

Going back to the questions about fatigue/insomnia. I know that a lot of us take naps and some people tend to sleep for hours and hours a day. So I'm noticing my naps becoming much more frequent on a daily basis. Along with this my body is more sore... hips, legs, arms, back etc.

Everyone recommends being more active... moving around, even exercising and I agree that movement helps with the body aches. But at 68 years old and feeling absolutely sick day in and day out, I can't make myself move a whole lot. So I'm wondering how people get around these conditions.

I was supposed to see a chiropractor today to talk about a constant problem with my shoulder, but I cancelled because I started getting the dizzy, woozy, exhausted feeling. Have also had more palpitations lately, which causes more anxiety and more fatigue.

I guess my question is how many of us are "resting" more than usual. Sorry, I'm having a hard time bringing my thoughts together and forming a sensible question.
    Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Although even short naps can mess with overnight sleep at 68 years old I'd say you are entitled to rest, relax and nap as much as you feel necessary.

I need 9-10 hours sleep a night to feel decent the next day and on my days off I often nap an hour. I'm guessing its a combination of MS and working a lot of hours but mostly I feel like other than the occasional long weekend vacation all I do is sleep, work, rinse, repeat.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    Anonymous

Comment

Hi Marti!

I'm like Jules as far as time in bed (10 hours or so), but must admit that half that time is often broken up by a two hour session of toss 'n turn. It's no problem since I've retired, 68 now too.

I'm active as I can be and try to avoid any couch time other than at evening news and then an hour + of Hulu or Netflix. However after a snack, post gym, sometimes I have lost 15 min or so thinking I'd read a bit... and zzzzz.

Originally posted by marti
      I'm noticing my naps becoming much more frequent on a daily basis. Along with this my body is more sore... hips, legs, arms, back etc.
      I could be wrong on many counts with what I'm about to say but... for me any activity usually causes fatigue but, like you, not any soreness. Inactivity... I get VERY stiff.

Disclaimer: I am PP and have noticed definitive differences with RR sx often mentioned here.

Jer

Comment

Hi marti ~

I don't take naps - never was a good nap taker - they make me feel groggy and out of sorts during the day.

But I do rest my body and put my legs up in the recliner, after lengthy activities.

Six to eight hours of good night time sleep seems to be sufficient for me, at this time.

Originally posted by 502E79 View Post
        I could be wrong on many counts with what I'm about to say but... for me any activity usually causes fatigue but, like you, not any soreness. Inactivity... I get VERY stiff.
        I get very stiff too, if I don't get up and move around often!

And only get sore if I overuse a muscle, or stretch a muscle for too long.

Take Care
        PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
        ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

The suggestion to move when I'm tired always seemed ludicrous to me. It seemed almost to blame the person who is tired for not doing enough.

Then I spent more time on the couch. And, shouldn't I have excpected it, my father was right all along. "The less you, the less you want to do." is how he put it.

The more time I spent on the couch, the less energy I had. It's true after all. The trouble is in finding the right recipe - how much couch time, how much active time, how much actual exercise time, how much sleep.

Comment

Originally posted by MMMMS View Post
            The trouble is in finding the right recipe - how much couch time, how much active time, how much actual exercise time, how much sleep.
            Also important is finding your ideal time of the day for exercise.

I discovered that the best time to take my 30 min walk (with rollator) is in the morning, after a cup of coffee, and about an hour after awakening.

I don't walk as well at any other time of the day, as I do in the morning.

It's my 'prime time'.

Take Care
            PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
            ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

You're doing great, Walking is very beneficial for health. It updates your muscles your digestive system. I really want to manage my time for that but i can't I have heard about CBD Oils that it really helpful while walking. Do you have any idea ?

Comment

Welcome, Johncbd!

Regarding CBD oil, you might want to check this thread:. https://www.msworld.org/forum/showth...144256-CBD-Oil

Also, please feel free to introduce yourself here:
                https://www.msworld.org/forum/forumd...About-Yourself!
                ~ Faith
                MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Marti,

My wife age 76 gets up at 7AM, has breakfast and is back in bed by 8AM and goes back to a deep sleep. She gets back up around 11AM and is fine for the rest of the day. We go to bed around 11PM. Every so often she might take a 45 minute afternoon nap. She is still on copaxone. I wonder if some of the newer meds add to the fatigue.

Comment

Working...
                  X