Stepping down gracefully

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stepping down gracefully

I have come to a crossroads y'all. I am no longer able to function in my current role with my employer. I either need to step down from a managerial position to a technical position or switch from FT to PT.

I am the manager of a satellite facility for a small business. The company I work for has been great to me. Benefits, pay and time off are all top notch.

I was off of work for 2 weeks during the holidays and I realized something. My headaches went away, I was able to exercise more and not because I wasn't working. I have been putting in some work remodeling the house. Not just painting the walls but rather moving walls and plumbing and electrical and removing porcelain floors, any idea how much work removing thinset is? It's a lot!

I was more relaxed and could focus so much more on what I was doing. I was more patient with my wife and kids (that's something I been working on) and was enjoying life. I've been back to work three days and "BOOM".... headache and for the first time in days I can feel the stress in my bones.

I have written a letter to my manager at corporate expressing my gratitude for the opportunity to manage the facility and thanking him for the experience that has brought to me. I also expressed my eagerness to discuss the best way to move forward and find a solution that helps the company meet their objectives while satisfying my concerns. Hopefully we can work something out.

looking forward to some perspective from others, what say ye?
    The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Boudreaux ~

My work situation was not at all complex, as yours is. So I can't offer much from experience.

For me, the decision was simple (not easy, though). Due to continuous progression, I couldn't physically perform the job requirements anymore (even after light duty assignments for a few years). So disability retirement followed.

Hopefully you and employer will be able to work out something, that is beneficial to the both of you.

I do want to say that your self-awareness is extraordinary, in my opinion. You're looking not only at yourself. You're seeing yourself in a broader sense, and how you affect your family, as well as your desire to continue being a benefit to your employer. Truly a gift.

Good luck!

Take Care
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Boudreaux,

Glad you had a few good productive weeks at home.

I went thru some thing similar when trying to figure out my options. I couldn't physically do my job - the cognitive challenges and physical fatigue we're so intertwined. I was a project manager/business systems analyst. So my options considered:
      1. Take a less senior position and see how I handled it. The concerns: if I needed SSDI or LTD, benefit based on lower amount, also, my boss was concerned I would still wind up doing work above that pay grade just due to my own work ethic and diligence.
      2. Work Part Time - at my company, I would lose LTD if part time and future SSDI, whether disability or retirement benefit would be lower. losing LTD was a huge risk when I wasnt even sure part time would be the solution.
      3. File for disability - Loss of other benefits, miss the work and people, finacial hit, and subject to approval and long term monitoring. I was on my husband's health insurance.

After discussion with my husband, family, boss, and my neuro, I decided to file. The real issue for me was the ability to consistently sustain work effort without experiencing fatigue and fatigue related symptoms. I had my neuro's support. I wish part time was viable, but a huge financial risk. It is a shame the US system isn't geared towRds partial disability.

I have stretches where I think maybe I can go back, and them wham, back struggling.

I wish you good luck. Lots to consider.
      Kathy
      DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Kathy has outlined some good points to consider above.

I was struggling in my career as a librarian - an easy job? right? No, not when I spent all my down time just catching up and sleeping. I eventually went from FT to partial PT where I could still claim benefits. After some time, I realized this was still too much to maintain and applied for SSDI. I was 50 at the time, and don't know if they factored in the age, but I was approved in 3 months time.

I, too, was fortunate to be on my husband's health insurance, so didn't have to worry about coverage. The loss of income was a huge factor, but we managed.

Good for you for listening to your body while regarding your responsibilities to the company.
        have written a letter to my manager at corporate expressing my gratitude for the opportunity to manage the facility and thanking him for the experience that has brought to me. I also expressed my eagerness to discuss the best way to move forward and find a solution that helps the company meet their objectives while satisfying my concerns. Hopefully we can work something out.
        I also certainly hope you can work sometime out!
        1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
        Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. It's a tough one for sure but it's something that needs to happen. My manager is back in the office on Monday and I plan on sending him a letter with my thoughts.

Keep em coming, I want to cover ever angle.

Comment

Boudreaux,your dilemma is certainly a tough one !

I can still recall being told I should file for disability upon official diagnosis of this wonderful and most awesome disease. I mean it was suggested to me within thirty minutes of being diagnosed. I did not appreciate such advise, my work ethic has always been strong and proud, however I had already been stripped of what I thought was a career for life job with a railway company a few months before diagnosis (could not pass employers functional capacity test).

So I did consider disability for a minute, but I at that time, I could still walk without a cane and was probably able to offer 75 percent of myself to whatever work or challenge given to me.

After a few months, I was able to find a job with a local construction company. The position offered blended well with my resume and the job was about 90 percent seated in air conditioning and 10 percent physical labor outside in heat...yeah...oh well, who cares!!! I was so damn happy to have a job again you know how it goes....sense of purpose, challenges and did I mention health insurance??? Love employer based healthcare options.

I kept this job for 3 years. All through the first year I kept my (scumbag buddy ms) a secret , though not to many days went by without someone asking me what was wrong with my leg, or they would assume back injuries and what not. The second year as the construction season rolled around, I really began to question my presence in the work force. Fatigue was getting more extreme, bowel and bladder urgency and cognition blunders ( brain flatulence) so I slowly started sharing with others that I had ms. I knew that I needed to start developing an exit strategy.

I couldn't have asked for a better employer and coworkers they where the best!!! However during my decline of ability that second year, it was obvious that my coworkers were picking up slack for me as my scumbag buddy ms was squeezing on me harder than than the previous year.

I ended up doing yet another year. (3 total). And through the 3rd year I could not even get through the day without falling asleep or second guessing my decisions at work. I knew it was time to get out. I forgot to mention that this job was April thru November and was 6 days a week 12 - 16 hours daily with four months off on unemployment.

So... I've officially been out of the work force for a solid year, applied for and received disability this year and I am grateful to have been able to stay in the workforce as long as I did, and believe me when I tell you that I squeezed that fruit of labor for every ounce!!!!

I feel ya Boudreaux, I understand where you are with this...bottom line.... you'll know when its time, you'll know it in your heart. Sounds like you have good people to work with and that's awesome I wish you well in your decision and wish you well in health!!!

Take your time....Its a huge decision to crawl through.

Peace

Rob

Comment

Please write down all the financial scenarios

LTD based on your current salary. If you are 55+ the SSDI grids are less strict for qualifying for SSDI and private LTD companies will require you to apply for it. If you don´t get SSDI, LTD pays their full share of whatever percent your policy requires. If you are considering this option, read the FULL LTD policy booklet before pulling that lever and do NOT retire thinking you´ll go on LTD. Do not change your employment status if you think you´ll go on LTD. My plan based some of it´s numbers on the paycheck that came right before going on disability.

If you remain FT but take a less demanding job, how will your salary and benefits change as well as your job security? Worst case scenario, you take the FT "demoted" position and then get pushed out due to cutbacks or whatever other reason they come up with.

If you go PT but stay in your position, how will your salary and benefits change as well as job security?
              Going out on LTD at 60% of salary may be the same amount of money as PT in the same job.

In each possibility, what will you and your family do for healthcare? If on SSDI, medicare does not kick in for 2 years and medicare coverage can cost way more than your current private insurance as no 0$ co-pays are allowed as a favor from the drug company.

Punt option- can you take FMLA on a weekly basis or in chunks to give yourself time to recover each week? You are allowed 12 weeks each year. Find out how that would affect LTD.

Where does your neuro lie on all of this? Does he/she support your decision?

Comment

Hi Boudreaux,

I don’t have anything to offer you on this topic, but I hope your discussion works out well.

Comment

I have decided that I will not voluntary step down. I will grind harder and make all the adversity my fuel. I know I have the energy and accepting anything less than what anyone is capable of is selling myself short.

Funny thing about stress is it is self imposed. We make our own stress based on how we perceive our situation.

There may come a day when I can no longer do the things I am currently capable of but until then....

I'm grinding...for those of us who can't.

Comment

Originally posted by Boudreaux View Post
                    I have decided that I will not voluntary step down. I will grind harder and make all the adversity my fuel. I know I have the energy and accepting anything less than what anyone is capable of is selling myself short.

Funny thing about stress is it is self imposed. We make our own stress based on how we perceive our situation.

There may come a day when I can no longer do the things I am currently capable of but until then....

You have my utmost respect Boudreaux.

I hope you continue to have your current abilities until you're 102, (or at least for a very, very long time.)

Take Care
                    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
                    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Such a warrior you are! Go for it
                      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Did you wind up discussing with your boss then? Glad you can continue on. You will know when it is time, as the energy won't be there. I hope you never know that day.
                        Kathy
                        DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Originally posted by pennstater View Post
                          Did you wind up discussing with your boss then? Glad you can continue on. You will know when it is time, as the energy won't be there. I hope you never know that day.
                          No. I did not discuss with anyone except my wife. I hope it never comes either.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to the conversation. Always great to get feedback from others.

Keep it moving.

Comment

Working...
                          X