Don't Get Around Much Any More

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't Get Around Much Any More

Is the title of a great tune by "Duke" Ellington which has been covered many times over the years.

I've had the MS beast for more than 20 years and pretty much describes me these days. The other thing I've learned is:

Hope for the best; but prepare for the worst.

My name is Brad and the "1138" part is from the old classic sci-fi movie "THX1138".

I now live in Lexington, Kentucky. I was born and raisedin San Diego and then lived in the SF Bay Area for 20 years. I'm a lawyer by education and trade. Though I have a strong interest in Classical Antiquity and Theology (and two MA degrees to prove it).I've worked as an attorney for state government for many years and thanks to the ADA have been able to work from home mostly for some time.

The first indication something was wrong with me occurred in December 1996 when I developed double vision at work. The doctors initially guessed I had a brain ttumor. An MZRI and and visit to a neurologist confirmed that was not the case. But tthat doctor suggested I might have Multiple Sclerosis but he wasn't certain. The doctor sent me away and said to let him know if I had further problems. I felt fine for years and kept up a busy lawyer's life. Then in about 2003 my walking deteriorated. In 2004 my left hand became partially paralyzed. Stupid me just came up with rationalizations like overwork for pinched nerve. In 2006, after a bout with the flu, the left side of my body became worse. My GP ordered an MR?i: the result: I had MS! I had a visit to a neurologist and started Rebif. mI grew tired of the needles and switched to Gilenya in 2010. I was doing pretty well until 2016 when the spasticity (my main complaint) grew so bad I decided to try a Baclofen Pump. Initally it was a big help. In 2017-2018 I had a series of relapses and now Im in a wheelchair but I can do short distances in a Walker (100 feet or so). I'm now on Ocrevus.

I'm blessed to have a supportive wife and three great kids. I have a strong Catholic faith. In all life is good and I'll be o.k.

God bless all of you at MS WORLD. You are not alone.

Hi Brad

Thanks for sharing your story with us.

You have a good attitude, all things considered.

May you and your family be blessed as well!

Be seeing you around here.

Take Care
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Hi Brad,

Glad you posted about you. Sounds like you have a full life with many interests. Look forward to more posts.
      Kathy
      DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Good to hear from you again, Brad!

As I recall we started Ocrevus near the same time, I hope the infusions are helping you.

Best wishes and Happy New Year!

Comment

Misterman:

I think Ocrevus has helped, perhaps a lot. I had a terrible relapse in late 2017. I started feeling much better in late 2017. A month or so after I started Ocrevus. I'm not certain whether the relapse had run its course or the Ocrevus kicked in. Either way, I think Ovrevus was a positive thing. The first two administrations were relatively easy. I'm looking forward to my 6 month follow up soon. In all, I'll give Ocrevus "two thumbs up" I hope you're fairing well, too.

Comment

Thanks for sharing your very moving story Brad. Mines the same but different. Hoping that with the Ocrevus that maybe you’ll remit a little. I just got my first full dose Dec 21st and am also happy with it. All the best for 2019.
            It was one agains't 2.5million toughest one we ever fought.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad1138 View Post
              I'm blessed to have a supportive wife and three great kids. I have a strong Catholic faith. In all life is good and I'll be o.k.
              Welcome to MS World.

I live your positive attitude!
              ~ Faith
              MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
              (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
              - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
              - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
              - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Working...
              X