Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weightloss Checkin Group: Weighin For 12/27/18

HAPPY NEW YEAR

Hi everyone. I hope everyone one of you has the happiest New Year ever. I am rushing because it is late and I have to get to bed.

My report postedThursday morning.

Agate, that’s great that you stayed the same with all of the temptations around every corner. Keep it going.

Mamabug, good for you for staying the same during this time of constant calorie laden temptations. Keep up the good work.

Hsmaldo, so sorry to miss you this week. I hope everything is o.k.

Msgijo, excellent loss. How in the world do you do it during such a time of constant temptations around every corner. Keep it going for the New Year.

Daisycat, so sorry to miss you this week. Good luck to you and I hope we will hear from you this week

For those who may have an interest in joining our dedicated group, our members each have their own personal methods of weight loss. Some are on Weight Watchers, some on Atkins for example and some just cut calories. I personally lost quite a lot of weight in the beginning using Atkins and then just cut portions while eating everything. The method is not the most important thing, it is staying focused and following the plan.

We post weight loss, gain, stayed the same, from Thursday to Thursday and have been doing so for over 16 years. We are truly dedicated to get rid of those pesky pounds and keep them off. You don’t have to state your actual weight. It’s a matter of choice.

Tip For The Week:

A registered dietitian with a Bachelor of Arts degree from Northwestern University and a Master of Science degree in Clinical Nutrition from New York University, Jaclyn “Jackie” London handles all of Good Housekeeping’s nutrition-related content, testing, and evaluation. She reports:

Start your day with a cup of coffee. Caffeine is a natural diuretic and an excellent source of antioxidants, which protect your cells from damage. You can have up to 400mg — about a venti Starbucks coffee — daily, according to the 2015 Dietary Guidelines for Americans.

Not much of a coffee drinker? Tea is also a natural diuretic, and types of herbal tea such as dandelion or fennel root can also lend a hand. In fact: When a recent study compared the metabolic effect of green tea (in extract) with that of a placebo, researchers found that the green-tea drinkers burned about 70 additional calories in a 24-hour period.

Weight Loss Results:

Total Loss:

1.8 pounds by one member. Good loss. That is amazing at this date. Good going. May we all follow suite.

Total Gain:

This report is delayed until later in morning.

Stayed The Same:

2 members. As we know, staying the same truly is success, including for those who are maintaining. Just keep remembering it is the time before the next loss if you have more to lose. Also staying the same is a signal that you are eating the right amount to maintain your losses.

4163.4 is the total weight loss for the past 16+ years. We hit a new milestone. We now have lost over two tons for which we should be proud. That truly is phenomenal.

Weight

Something happened in the title above and I could not finish it.

I gained shamefully, I gained 5.5 pounds so weigh 133.5 pounds. I can't remember when I weighed so much. My belly is bulging. I am totally ashamed. I vow to lose at least one pound this coming week. Good luck to all. Karen

Comment

Lost 1.6 pounds.

12/20 - 116.4
      12/27 - 114.8

And I was NOT trying to lose any weight - I have eaten too much fudge, sugar plums, cakes and hearty stews this week in an effort to at least stay the same (sigh). Somebody told me once that I had the "good Thyroid disease" and I didn't think too much of the comment then. Now it is becoming a curse .

ShrinkKaren - On the bright side, you can contribute the weight gain to the sinful meals you were served while in rehab and then you come home to Christmas goodies. It sounds as if you have already decided on a resolution for the New Year. Good luck on that .

Comment

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!

I've gained...how much, I'm not sure because I don't want to face the scale.

I keep thinking I want to lose weight and do things differently, but it's such an effort just to get things done. This holiday season isn't helping because I have even less energy due to staying up too late, either wrapping presents, baking, or just enjoying family. I'm trying to move my sleep schedule back a bit so I'm not so wiped out.

I am switching my work schedule so that I am forced to wake up earlier (and go to bed earlier!) along with my hubby because HE is really suffering from not enough sleep. I'll admit though that it's daunting to try and get up even earlier when I haven't gotten to bed early enough in the last 2-3 weeks!

I think that will be my ONE New Year's resolution--get MORE sleep!! I think that will help everything else fall into place easier--including weight loss!

Karen-I'm glad you're back from rehab and hope you're able to get back into the swing of things soon with no lasting effects!

msgijo-sorry to hear that the scale is not going in the right direction for you--thyroid stuff is no fun--even if others think they are envious of your unintended weight loss--I know you can still feel as miserable and be just as concerned about too much loss!

Comment

So, our house drinking water filtration system broke over the weekend. We've gone out and bought some bottled water (since the tap water has a higher salt concentration from the other portion of the water filtration system, we don't want to just drink that).

Hubby was concerned that he was drinking about a gallon of water every day. He thought there was something wrong with him. So I turned to the internet (Dr. Google is awesome) and found that the best way to find out how much water you should be drinking is to divide your body weight by 2.

He should be drinking 120 oz/day and I should be drinking about 114 oz/day. That means that he should be drinking 15 8 oz cups per day and I should be drinking a little over 14 cups per day.

FOURTEEN!!!

That's a LOT OF WATER!! I have to use the bathroom just thinking about drinking that much water!! That's just under a gallon every day--and if you do any exercise or physical activity, you should drink even more!!

But there are also so many benefits to drinking that much, so I think I need to be more aware of that. Because honestly, I am lucky right now if I hit 5 cups of water/day. I'm part of a water club at work (we pay for bottled water among the members here since the city water is very iffy.) One of our members brings a gallon jug in and fills it each morning to drink. I think that's a brilliant idea.

I'm hoping to make this my second new year's resolution. If I can do these two things, drink more water and sleep more, maybe I'll be on my way to passively losing weight--it's not so far fetched because experts say that doing these things can help with weight loss!

Hopefully I can commit to these things--it doesn't help that tonight is New Year's Eve and everyone wants to stay up late!!

But it's a start, hopefully to a healthier (and lighter?!) me!

Happy New Year friends!!

Comment

hsmaldo - I am sorry to hear that your water filtration system went out, but there seems to have been a very (pure) silver lining to that ! We have well water, which BTW is very good water, so I do understand about not drinking tap water. I will not even use ice that my mom has because of her tap water .

Yes, drinking more water and sleeping well BOTH promote weight loss, as well as a host of other great benefits. Good luck with the new New Year resolutions!

I drink coffee first thing in the morning, but water the rest of the day. My husband has even started trying to follow suit, but so far is only iffy about it. But he drinks only coffee (mornings) and water or tea during the day, so not TOO bad .

Wish that I could say that I sleep well, but alas thyroids have my sleep messed up . BTW - THANK YOU for the kind acknowledgement of the very real struggle that I am going thru with my attempt to find the correct dosage on the medicine for thyroid problems .

You know that you should weigh in now so that you can count EVERY portion of every pound that you lose due to the new method . Good luck and Happy New Year to you and yours!

Comment

Weight at last post was 108 ( I think) now I am at 103.6 so I am almost at my goal of 100. I looked at a weight chart and it says someone my height and build can weight 90 without being underweight so I might move my goal down to 95.

I just want to get rid of this belly and no matter how many different 100 things I do it won't go away. So frustrating

Hope everyone had a good holiday. I was busy with work , pet sitting , working out , etc... so its been a busy past few weeks.

Comment

I'm holding at 116, I'm glad to say. A bit more loss would be welcome but at least the scale is now saying 116.5 instead of 116.9.

There are some advantages in living a more isolated life. A person doesn't get exposed to much temptation at all. No tempting treats were offered, and not even a "free food" box that gets distributed to people in this building contained anything by way of a holiday treat. Just a day like any other here, and that was OK by me, really, as this holiday season is sad for me. I'm of an age where rich food just doesn't appeal to me. "Been there, done that." I've had my share of banana splits, chocolate milk shakes, eclairs, strudel, and cinnamon buns. And of the holiday food like mince pie, stuffing, and Yorkshire pudding, not to mention fruit cake.
                MEMBER OF MS WORLD SINCE 4/03.

SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/4/07-5/15/10.

Comment

Originally posted by msgijo View Post
                  hsmaldo - I am sorry to hear that your water filtration system went out, but there seems to have been a very (pure) silver lining to that ! We have well water, which BTW is very good water, so I do understand about not drinking tap water. I will not even use ice that my mom has because of her tap water .
                  we have well water too, but several minerals that stain the appliances orange, so we filter everything. Hubby called to have the company come out and look at it. I'm still certain I could have fixed it if they had just been able to order the parts like we asked them to, but they want to come check it out. (Of course they do--they get more $$!!). But I understand--we are totally water snobs--my husband takes stainless steel bottles of water to work and even when we visit his parents house!

I found an app for my phone where I can track my water usage. It's pretty cool so far and really helped me keep on track for drinking water. When I'm home, it's the hardest because I forget, but this kept reminding me and while I didn't hit my goal the last two days, I really did up my game by getting in about 90 oz each day!!

I also switched my hours at work and had to get up an hour earlier than I have been. So the whole family had to go to bed earlier. The girls were in bed before 9 and we were in be by 10!! I got up with no issues this morning because of that and traffic was much lighter and it took me less time to get into work. So far, this year is off to a good start!

Wish that I could say that I sleep well, but alas thyroids have my sleep messed up . BTW - THANK YOU for the kind acknowledgement of the very real struggle that I am going thru with my attempt to find the correct dosage on the medicine for thyroid problems .
                  I know we all struggle with our own battles for health and weight and just want to be encouraging!

You know that you should weigh in now so that you can count EVERY portion of every pound that you lose due to the new method . Good luck and Happy New Year to you and yours!
                  I agree that I need to weigh in and will do so tomorrow so I can keep track of it. I'm just hoping to not let it dictate my mood and motivation if the scale doesn't move as quickly as I had hoped.

I'll hopefully check in tomorrow with my weight and we can go from there.

Comment

Gained 1.0 lbs. Remained within maintenance goal.

I'm late in posting, but I did weigh on Thursday. I met my most recent goal on 12/20/2018.
                    - My most recent goal weight was 121.0-122.8 lbs.
                    - My maintenance goal is to remain within +/- 5 lbs. (116.0-127.8 lbs).
                    - Where I'd currently like to be is at or below a BMI of 22.0 (weight <121.0).

I gained a little this week, but I'm within my maintenance goal.
                    Recent weights:
                    12/20/18: 122.8 lbs (BMI 22.3)
                    12/27/18: 123.8 lbs (BMI 22.5)

I'll try to post tomorrow on Karen's weekly thread.

-------------------
                    BMI calculator:

https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/edu...MI/bmicalc.htm
                    ~ Faith
                    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Working...
                    X