Hand Aids?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hand Aids?

My right arm and hand are numb, have a deelayed response to heat and cold, and even when felt, it is diminished compared to the left side. I do have good strength in it still.

I have been dropping things alot. In the past 2 weeks, I have dropped a paring knife 3 times and of course, instinct, try to catch it. Thankfully, opened my hand quickly, so didn't really cut it until the last time. Not deep, but made me realize I need to do something.

Can anyone recommend any tools that work with existing cutlery, pens, etc? Are there reusable grips? My neuro mentioned something about Velcro. I didn't really understand, but assume something that can be used with wrist to prevent a drop.

Any suggestions?
    Thanks in advance.
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

I just finished ten sessions with an occupational therapist who specializes in MS. One of the sessions focused on kitchen and eating utensils. She had samples of all the aids you see on websites like arthritisSupplies.com or ElderStore.com.

The Velcro strap I saw fits around your hand and probably wouldn’t work with a paring knife. It holds the utensil in an awkward position. From what you describe you need more of a leash or lanyard arrangement.

Foam tubing to slip over the handle may give you a more secure grip. It comes in various sizes to accommodate different utensils.

Anything you find on the specialty sites can usually be found on Amazon, too, once you get the hang of what you’re looking for.

My personal favorites turned out to be a rocker knife and the Dining with Dignity fork.
    I have arm and hand weakness.

Good luck with your search.

Comment

Hi Kathy,As mentioned the round foam does help me get a grip on utensils.I think this will help you with gripping stuff.Never heard of using velcro.Good luck,Dave

Comment

Thanks to both of you for the help. I was definitely going to look into the foam grips, but will explore other options too. Did it again with the knife. I think I need to remember to put the knife down when not on the cutting board!!!!
        Kathy
        DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Working...
        X