Hey Ty Peeps!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Ty Peeps!

Hi guys! Does your Neurologist typically order your MRIs without and with contrast? I have my first one since starting Tysabri next week and it says “without and with contrast”. I only ask because I worry about the long term affects of contrast on the kidneys and other organs. Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks! Hope you’re all well.
    "It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll,
    I am the master of my fate,
    I am the captain of my soul." ˜William Ernest Henley

I used to get them with and without contrast..I'm pretty sure with tells them if any active lesions Your neuro should watch your kidneys !
    Linda

Comment

Mine orders with and without. He also does routine blood work, which includes tests for liver and kidney.
      Kathy
      DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Originally posted by pennstater View Post
        Mine orders with and without. He also does routine blood work, which includes tests for liver and kidney.
        When you say "routine," how frequent do you mean? Mine test my JC levels every 3 months. But blood tests seem to be annual (I'm only going into year 2).
        All the best, ~G

Comment

Originally posted by gargantua View Post
          When you say "routine," how frequent do you mean? Mine test my JC levels every 3 months. But blood tests seem to be annual (I'm only going into year 2).
          JC is every 3 months. I think WBC panel is every 3 months as well. Then every 6 for other tests, BUN-creatin, thyroid, ....

He spreads it out over the infusions, so it seems that there are 3-4 infusions a year when they aren't taking a vial of blood before starting. My insurer covers it.
          Kathy

Comment

Originally posted by pennstater View Post
            My insurer covers it.
            There's the rub.
            All the best, ~G

Comment

Originally posted by gargantua View Post
              There's the rub.
              Yes. Waiting for them to balk. He used to do annually cholesterol, A1HC, triglycerides, etc. But they now won't let him. Seems so odd, as they then have to pay my PCP copay just to get scripts, then separate blood draw. Seemed more efficient and cost effective the other way.
              Kathy

Comment

Yes

Mine are always with/without contrast & right before the MRI they check my kidney function. And right now my labs/mri's are every 6 mos. I just started Tysabri in May '18.

Good Luck to you!
                Tl-Tr3
                DX'07 MS- on Tysabri-

Comment

I get them every six months to check for PML and it is done without contrast. I am glad because I am already at stage 3 CKD. The slightest thing(infection, dehydration...) raises my creatinine above 1.00. It is like walking a tightrope. Even my potassium gets high.

Comment

Working...
                  X