Visions of Sugar Plums!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Visions of Sugar Plums!

Here is a healthy no bake holiday recipe that I've been making since my children were young and now my grandchildren love them too.

Sugar Plums

*It's best to use a food processor or blender for chopping*

1 c. dried apricots
    1 c. pecans or walnuts
    1/2 c. dates
    1/2 c. raisins
    1 c. crushed vanilla wafers
    1 c. coconut
    1/2 c. orange juice

Finely chop apricots, nuts, dates and raisins in food processor. Set aside in large bowl. Place several wafers in blender and chop until crushed fine. Place wafers in bowl with fruit/nut mixture and mix well with coconut and o.j.

Using your fingers shape into 3/4" balls. Makes about 40.
    * I let them air dry for 24 hours as they are sticky.*
    Store into airtight container or serve immediately.

Enjoy!
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Thanks for sharing this recipe, Seasha! I had never seen these before.

Lately, I've been salivating for the chocolate/peanut butter/oatmeal no bake cookies.

Have you ever made those?

I wonder if there is any healthier way to make them, and in which they would taste the same?

Take Care
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Here's s recipe for a healthier no-bake cookie:

Ingredients

1/2 cup peanut butter
      4 tablespoons butter
      1/2 cup sugar free chocolate chips - if you can't find sugar free, try carob chips
      2 cups rolled oats
      1/2 cup milk 1%
      **Optional: 3 packets powdered stevia
      **Optional topping drizzle: 1/3 cup sugar free chocolate chips melted

Instructions

Add the peanut butter, butter and chocolate chips to a small sauce pan and heat on low until melted. In a large bowl add the oats and milk. Pour the chocolate mixture into the oats.
      Taste the mixture, if it is sweet enough for you skip the stevia, if not add in now and stir to combine well. Using a small cookie scoop, make 18 balls and place onto a parchment lined baking sheet.

You can leave this way and refrigerate to harden or flatten the balls into small discs and drizzle melted chocolate over each.
      Refrigerate until hardened.

I haven't tried these yet, but I will! No-bake is the way to go when it's hot outside and you don't want to turn on the oven.

Comment

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
        Here's s recipe for a healthier no-bake cookie:

Ingredients

1/2 cup peanut butter
        4 tablespoons butter
        1/2 cup sugar free chocolate chips - if you can't find sugar free, try carob chips
        2 cups rolled oats
        1/2 cup milk 1%
        **Optional: 3 packets powdered stevia
        **Optional topping drizzle: 1/3 cup sugar free chocolate chips melted

Instructions

Add the peanut butter, butter and chocolate chips to a small sauce pan and heat on low until melted. In a large bowl add the oats and milk. Pour the chocolate mixture into the oats.
        Taste the mixture, if it is sweet enough for you skip the stevia, if not add in now and stir to combine well. Using a small cookie scoop, make 18 balls and place onto a parchment lined baking sheet.

You can leave this way and refrigerate to harden or flatten the balls into small discs and drizzle melted chocolate over each.
        Refrigerate until hardened.

I haven't tried these yet, but I will! No-bake is the way to go when it's hot outside and you don't want to turn on the oven.
        Thanks Seasha!

I don't mind if they're not real sweet, as I don't have strong cravings for sweets, per se.

It's the richness of the chocolate and peanut butter (with the oats tossed in there too) that I crave!
        PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
        ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

You're welcome, KoKo. The peanut butter/chocolate combo is one of my favorites!

Comment

Seasha,

Thanks for both recipes! These look do-able for me and sound oh so good.

Now I will have visions of sugar plums dancing thru my head until I make these .

Comment

Seasha - the sugar plums were GREAT! I did have some left over and froze them for a treat for me .

My granddaughter helped me make them and declared them "dis-cus-ting" before she didn't try them . They have raisins and orange juice in them and dates?!?. And I wanted her to taste them - Oh so horrid!

Everyone else that tried them loved them, so I didn't take her opinion too seriously.

Thanks for this recipe. I will try the cookie recipe later.

Comment

LOL - too funny! My 2 1/2 yr old granddaughter basically let me know the same.. although she didn't even taste one. One look and she clammed her mouth shut. I guess she'd never seen anything like it before... and to think I made them with her in mind - a no sugar treat.

Glad everyone else liked them at your place. Happy New Year!

Comment

Hey Seasha, I made the Sugar Plums today and OMGoodness these things are Sooooo Goooooood!!!
                  God Bless Us All

Comment

Glad you liked them, Reg! I usually make them around Christmas, but they are good any time.!

I have been doing a lot of baking on cool days during this Covid19 pandemic. It's something to do while I'm stuck inside and makes me happy. Trying new recipes for dinner too.

Maybe I'll post some other recipes soon.

Comment

Seasha, I made your sugar plums for Christmas and they were a Big Hit. Love them.
                      God Bless Us All

Comment

Working...
                      X