Soy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soy

So I have found so much conflicting information on this and I figured you guys would know...

soy - yes or no for people with this disease. I know all the major no’s but I can’t find consistent information on this

Originally posted by Daisycat View Post
    So I have found so much conflicting information on this and I figured you guys would know...

soy - yes or no for people with this disease. I know all the major no’s but I can’t find consistent information on this
    I avoid it. I will tolerate it in small amounts but generally will turn down items with soy in them
    The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

I have used a soy protein in my fruit smoothie for quite some years and have had no problems.
      Diagnosed 1984
      “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

You can't find consistent information because so much is still unknown. The same goes for any diet for MS. I've read several books which give conflicting information, all backed up with very believable reasons. So many people are passionate about what they believe is the right diet and will try to convince you of it as well. Not for any malicious reasons, simply because they care about helping people and want them to find the same success as they did. But the reality is that no one knows.

What is absolutely the most important is finding balance and peace with yourself with whatever decision you make. If soy is currently a huge part of your diet, and you are questioning it, then I suggest looking for an alternative (google soy alternatives - there are lots!). If it is not a huge part of your diet, and you eat soya sauce occasionally when you make a stirfry, for example, then I suggest you don't over think it and focus instead of making sure you have a good healthy balance of vitamins, nutrients, healthy fats, in your diet.

The worse thing you could do would be to decide you don't want to eat soy anymore and make no effort to find healthy, tasty, alternatives. Cutting things out of your diet doesn't mean you need to suffer with bland food because then you will start resenting your food and develop an unhealthy relationship with food. Find alternatives that taste good.

Comment

I consume soy virtually every day and have been for years. Granted, I do have MS but am healthy and active otherwise.

Legumes have been looked at as a possible MS exacerbator. There is an apparently low incidence (low reported?) of MS in Asia, where a massive amount of soy (tofu, soy milk) has been consumed for centuries. Coincidentally, the Asian diet has been traditionally low-to-no dairy.

As a consumer and health food nut, here is my quick and dirty perspective on products that contain soy and soy protein:

Tofu - Tofu is a white, dense, nearly flavorless fermented veg protein made from soy beans, and minerals (calcium and magnesium). Tofu IS a processed food because of the fermentation process, but chemical preservatives are not an ingredient in tofu, so I still look at it as a pretty good whole-ish food. Plain tofu is low in sodium. 1/2 cup has 10 grams of protein and 43% of daily recommended (USDA) calcium. Also 6 grams of vegetable fat.

Soy milk - A milky emulsion of oil, water, and protein extracted from soy beans. Looks just like milk, tastes more nutty. Can be used in place of regular cow's milk.

Highly processed "soy-based" items like protein bars, sausages, burgers, and cheeses - These are all processed foods which frequently include chemical additives for best flavor, texture, etc just like many snack foods. Things to keep an eye on in my opinion are the amount of sugar and sodium in any packaged, pre-prepared food based on soy.

Originally posted by sarabeach123 View Post
          You can't find consistent information because so much is still unknown.
          I understand the spirit of this statement, but I think and STRONGLY FEEL medicine is woefully - even suspiciously - behind the curve on preventing chronic disease with diet. Now there seems to be a slow spiraling-in as they look at the microbiome and the human genome with autoimmune diseases.

In the US, one diet that is pretty widely acknowledged as a way to give yourself the best chance, which many doctors will freely acknowledge, is the American Heart Association diet. https://www.heart.org/en/healthy-liv...ecommendations
          All the best, ~G

Comment

I am trying to figure out what all I can eat since I have cut out almost everything I enjoy , but soy based food was something I used to eat years ago when I was trying to eat healthier. I know a lot of the processed food isn't the greatest, but if it is something I can use a couple of night a week that would be nice.

I have kind of lost all interest in eating since everything ( well almost everything) I ate before is now "banned" I am really glad I have always loved fruits , and prefer lean chicken and turkey.

It has been a struggle trying to make myself eat vegetables... but if I can add soy based food into my rotation maybe the nights where I am stuck with a gross salad or something else just as bad ( to me) will be a little better.

Comment

Foods

My neuro said I can eat pretty much whatever I want.. I’d don’t fully agree with that but all I can do is follow a very healthy diet, high in fibre and avoid fast food junk. I can’t really figure it out in great detail or have the money and luxury of restricting my diet.

lots of water, some beer is ok.

low fat proteins, chicken, turkey, fish is preferred.

Beef is is a rare treat

sugar is limited.

dairy is still being consumed but not in great quantities.

I just exercise regularly and try my best.

Comment

My understanding is that fermented soy is okay, non-fermented not. Looked up tofu- most is not fermented. You would need confirmation that it was.

Comment

Working...
                X