Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What symptoms did you have when you knew was time to use a cane?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What symptoms did you have when you knew was time to use a cane?

Hi 😊

So I'm just wondering, what symptoms was anyone experiencing when you knew was time to implement a cane?

My ms accelerated about year half ago, dr panicked (that's what he does) said your going to be disabled if you don't do something. So I went on tysabri. It made me very sick and I was left with ringing in ears.

So been A lot of stress past year, and suddenly past two weeks legs aren't having it lol.

Bottom feet numb everyday, so I walk slow. Legs each night in pain and spasms.

Heading to new neuro on wed and prob get new MRI.

Thx for any thoughts

Jen 😊
    Jen Dx'd 5/11
    "Live each day as if it were your last"

Originally posted by sunshine008 View Post
    So I'm just wondering, what symptoms was anyone experiencing when you knew was time to implement a cane?
    Hi Jen ~

I needed a mobility aid (cane at first) due to leg weakness and unsteadiness, which caused me to use a lot of energy and tire easily from walking.

Using the cane helped a great deal with my balance and with conserving some energy, at that time.

I would have preferred arm crutches or walking poles, but my entire right side is affected with severe weakness, limiting the strength needed for crutches or poles.

Having progressive MS, I use a rollator now (and have been using it for many years) which has helped me immensely to continue walking.

Take Care
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Unstteadiness, balamce issues and energy conservation

Originally posted by KoKo View Post
      Hi Jen ~

I needed a mobility aid (cane at first) due to leg weakness and unsteadiness, which caused me to use a lot of energy and tire easily from walking.

Using the cane helped a great deal with my balance and with conserving some energy, at that time.
      Some of the same things for me -- unsteadiness, and balance issues. I also thought it might conserve energy, and it seemed to.

I'm at the point where I'm kind of moving from 17 years of RRMS to SPMS. I'd noticed, for the past 1 or 2 or 3 years, that, even though I'm not having flares, my MS seems to be progressing and my mobility getting worse. I started using a cane in February.

I don't use it around the house, but I take it whenever I leave the house. Most times, I still think that I could get by without it, but I never know when I'll need it. I rely on it, sometimes, for things like going down curbs, for walking on uneven ground, etc.

I've been pleasantly surprised at the reaction of both acquaintances and strangers now that I use a cane. They give me a wider "berth" (ie: they get out of my way so I can walk more easily without worrying about balance), they allow me to go first through doorways, they open doors for me, etc. They are extra polite and helpful. In lines at potluck /carry-in meals, they might offer to carry my tray if I appear to be struggling. Sometimes, though, I just leave my cane at the table because I struggle less without it because I have two hands available to carry things.

In June, I started seeing a functional medicine doctor and have made major changes to my diet and lifestyle. I have not continued to see a decline since then, and have maybe even noticed minor improvements. I still use my cane; I'm not ready to give it up but I am hopeful that I might improve enough that I can feel competent without it again some day.
      ~ Faith
      MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
      (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
      - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
      - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
      - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Hi Jen,

I started using a cane because of balance issues. I was afraid people would think I was drunk.

I now use a four prone cane, rollator, and scooter.
        God Bless Us All

Comment

Hi Jen,I was having balance problems also.

Comment

I was having balance problems and was falling at work. The cane also helped me conserve energy. I now use a rollator walker most of the time.

Are you thinking of getting a cane, Jen? Using trekking poles also helps.
            Good luck with the neuro appointment!
            1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
            Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Hi

Thx for all the responses and info, always helpful.

I'm not sure is it's time, my main issue is I can't feel my feet. Leg pain. I know when I go food shopping and lean on the cart life is easier lol.

New thing started this weekend was vertigo followed by nauseousness. Haven't had that one in years. So gross!

I guess I'll see what this new guy says on Wednesday. Fatigue is awful too. I push most days past my point. I work two jobs. I kinda have no choice my daughter and her baby live with me.
              Jen Dx'd 5/11

Comment

You might want to get a cane and try it around the house to see if it helps. You’ll probably feel steadier and more secure. People will hold doors open for you, always a plus!

I like the foldable ones that can be stashed in a purse.

Comment

Originally posted by kmallory1 View Post
                  I like the foldable ones that can be stashed in a purse.
                  I started with a foldable cane. I used it only occasionally, when I was in an MS flare that affected my mobility. And if I went to the swimming pool, because I needed it for balance.

When I began to use a cane whenever I left the house, I got a standard, single tip cane and attached a rubber tripod cane tip on the bottom.

I love my tip! The cane stands upright on its own, which is a huge conveniece. And it keeps the cane from wobbling when I walk.

I still have my foldable cane and I use it if I go to a swimming pool because I can open it up easily and dump out the water when I'm done.
                  ~ Faith
                  MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                  (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                  - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                  - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                  - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

When she tested my legs she said their very weak. The left side number was a lot lower than the right side.

I put another post up, yet she felt that because I haven't consistently treated my ms. Also due to last MRI report she saw, that the whole loosing my legs thing is in my future.

QUOTE=Mamabug;1515328]I started with a foldable cane. I used it only occasionally, when I was in an MS flare that affected my mobility. And if I went to the swimming pool, because I needed it for balance.

When I began to use a cane whenever I left the house, I got a standard, single tip cane and attached a rubber tripod cane tip on the bottom.

I love my tip! The cane stands upright on its own, which is a huge conveniece. And it keeps the cane from wobbling when I walk.

I still have my foldable cane and I use it if I go to a swimming pool because I can open it up easily and dump out the water when I'm done.[/QUOTE]
                    Jen Dx'd 5/11

Comment

Hi sunshine008.

I really dislike over-dramatic Neurologists simply because there is no way to predict the out come of this disease.

I had gone to a Neurologist many years ago that was much closer to me than the one I had been seeing for years. The new Neurologist was shocked that I was still walking (not a great feeling when you shock a Neurologist ).

I have always had spinal cord involvement so I have always dealt with bi-lateral leg weakness, balance issues, and leg pain. I have never used any of the Disease Modifying Therapies(DMTs) and to date, I have not lost my legs and I am still walking. However, I do have other health issues that is making walking/standing more difficult and painful.

I would suggest working with a Physical Therapist and/or exercise to help maintain you leg strength as well as core strength. My original Neurologist told me the best thing I could do is walk. I took his advice and feel had I not I would have been in a wheelchair very early on.

A personal preference of mine is Trekking Poles rather than a cane. Trekking Poles offer better stability, in my opinion.
                      Diagnosed 1984
                      “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Hi Sunshine,

I just wanted to get behind Snoopy's post.

Originally posted by snoopy
                        I really dislike over-dramatic Neurologists simply because there is no way to predict the out come of this disease.
                        Also...

Originally posted by snoopy
                        I would suggest working with a Physical Therapist and/or exercise to help maintain you leg strength as well as core strength. My original Neurologist told me the best thing I could do is walk. I took his advice and feel had I not I would have been in a wheelchair very early on.
                        Maintaining walking and core strength are of paramount importance. A treadmill set slow with the bars to hold, at front and at sides, scary at first (do it with a trainer when beginning) will help gait, strength, endurance, confidence, balance too. I even try to let go of bars occasionally... usually short lived :-)

Also... I took Snoopy's advice long ago and bought trekking poles (black diamond) and they are perfect, except for one thing. Since my right leg AND right arm are affected, I found that my dependence on right pole was also effecting my gait & balance. Cane usage could be similar. BUT the treadmill helps with all I mentioned above and allows you to focus on proper foot position / placement.

Should prolong the necessity of assistance standing / walking. And if at some future time poles or cane are necessary, at the very least, your form will have established some "muscle memory" making for proper usage of either!

Good luck Sunshine!

Jer

Comment

Hi I agree I'm not a big drama person when it comes to my MS. I've tried a lot of the dmds with horrible side effects throat closing etc having to run to emergency rooms.

So I said seriously enough, got a second job, rescued a horse, I do the gym, eat clean. I have symptoms like everyone. My last neuro was panick button pusher. I was like yea no. So last MRI has tons of progression. All brain. My speech was dicey, legs were weak, balance off etc. memory what lol it did seem to calm after tysabri.

Yet lately not feeling great, worse than usual. So went to the new chick. She's got a great reputation straight shooter doesn't panick etc

So after viewing the mri and doing my exam said you are gonna pay the price for not treating this year half ago when they told you it's starting to hit you hard. Now honestly loosing legs if happens isn't the worst thing in the world. I'd be more concerned with speech memory.

I'm not panicking yet I'm making changes In my life I should of made previously. I work like an animal. Take care of my daughter whose in college and her.l baby. Put roof over their head. You get the picture. My horse I love so he's staying.

Point is I've done all the right stuff. Only thing was lack of horse because he's been sick. Yet just got the ok to ride him next weekend.

so I do think that I should try the meds again to slow I down. I'd love to walk away and say your crazy not happening. Yet I think I should listen this time 😊 My husband who I've been separated from is bk in my life. Having help will be good. He's a good human. We just screwed stuff up.

I can't feel my feet past two weeks and I'm still walking. 😊
                          I don't always think the Mris are indicative of the outcome either. I think it's more the clinical exam that is telling.

I'll have new Mris soon. That I don't want lol

How often do you guys get them? After a while they feel pointless

Also...

Maintaining walking and core strength are of paramount importance. A treadmill set slow with the bars to hold, at front and at sides, scary at first (do it with a trainer when beginning) will help gait, strength, endurance, confidence, balance too. I even try to let go of bars occasionally... usually short lived :-)

Also... I took Snoopy's advice long ago and bought trekking poles (black diamond) and they are perfect, except for one thing. Since my right leg AND right arm are affected, I found that my dependence on right pole was also effecting my gait & balance. Cane usage could be similar. BUT the treadmill helps with all I mentioned above and allows you to focus on proper foot position / placement.

Should prolong the necessity of assistance standing / walking. And if at some future time poles or cane are necessary, at the very least, your form will have established some "muscle memory" making for proper usage of either!

Good luck Sunshine!

Jer[/QUOTE]
                          Jen Dx'd 5/11

Comment

I knew it was time to use a cane when I tried one for an hour, and I realized the huge improvement in my quality of life. I started using a rollator when I started tripping all the time, and I was too weak to stand for any length of time.

I guess my rule of thumb is to try it if I wonder if it will work for me, and if it improves my life keep it. If it seems to get in my way or limit me then I know I don’t need it yet. Remember it is an aid. It’s meant to assist you, not be some annoying thing you have to carry around.

Comment

I started using a cane when I felt more comfortable and walked better with one than without. I have a funky gait and some balance issues. I am able to walk more efficiently with a cane. Even better with trekking poles or a rollator, but I hate not having a free hand (trekking poles) and I only use the rollator when I go places I may have to stand in line (people are always jealous I have my own seat!).

Comment

Working...
                              X