Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need help!

Hi all.
    I am trying to figure out how to pay for my copaxone now that I'm on Medicare.

I have been successfully taking copaxone for years. Last year my husband retired so we no longer have his health insurance. I applied for and received a grant to cover my copays.

Now this year all the funds are closed. I have contacted teva pharmaceuticals and they haven't been any help. It stinks because they offer $0 copay but only for people with commercial insurance. I've also tried state programs but it's the same thing they'll do it for people with commercial insurance but not Medicare. And it's the same with the generic galopta.

So what do I do? I can't afford the $6000 a year out of pocket. I may be forced to quit copaxone and hope for the best!
    How do all you fellow Medicare patients manage. I'd love to here your suggestions.

Leenyi - this just came up recently and someone gave us this site for pharmaceutical financial assistance - https://www.medicare.gov/pharmaceuti...tance-program/

For copaxone this link gives the info you need- https://www.medicare.gov/pharmaceuti...nce-program/#C

I'm really not sure how it all works, but hopefully this can steer you in the right direction.
    Good luck!
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Thanks Seasha.
      I'd checked these out before but I didn't qualify. I guess ill have to check things out again and see if I'm missing something.
      Thanks again
      Ei

Comment

Sorry about that,Leenyi. Maybe someone in a similar situation will come along to help you! Hoping so for your sake.
        1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
        Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

I’m not sure how this place works or their requirements, but have you talked to shared solutions?

I dont have experence with Medicare but shared solutions does help people with this drug

Comment

Thanks daisycat and Seasha for your responses.

Shared solutions has a program for people on private insurance but it does not work with Medicare. They sent me a link to foundations that help pay but so far I haven't found any that currently have funds for ms. They say to check back later. So that's what I've been doing but as my supply of copaxone dwindles I am getting scared.
            It helps to know that people care!

Comment

Originally posted by Leenyi View Post
              It stinks because they offer $0 copay but only for people with commercial insurance.
              Not 100% positive, but I believe Teva can't do it because of Medicare's rules...
              1st sx 11/26/09; Copaxone from 12/1/11 to 7/13/18
              NOT ALL SX ARE MS!

Comment

Yeah I think that may be true. Just don't understand why.

Comment

Yeah I think that may be true. Just don't understand why.
                  Medicare’s pay rates are bottom of the barrel in regards to costs, so big pharma allows no subsidies for any drugs in part D. However, if you switch to an infusion, your costs can be 0 depending on what supplement you have. I’m on Tysabri, and I have no out of pocket costs. I have the cheapest drug plan I can find because I take no drugs. My monthly cost this year is $285. The infusions are Tysabri, Ocrevus, or Lemtrada. Hope this helps.

Comment

I'm new at the Medicare game, but I do have a
                    Part D that covers my meds. I have no idea how
                    they deal with any of the DMDs, but meds have
                    been very reasonable.

Comment

Thanks daisycat and Seasha for your responses.

Shared solutions has a program for people on private insurance but it does not work with Medicare. They sent me a link to foundations that help pay but so far I haven't found any that currently have funds for ms. They say to check back later. So that's what I've been doing but as my supply of copaxone dwindles I am getting scared.
                      It helps to know that people care!
                      awe I’m sorry. I didn’t know shared solutions was only for private insurance. I was hoping they had at least something for other people.

I’m not really sure how this all works so I’m sorry I don’t have more advice.

I hope you can find something to help you.
                      I’m not sure what all is out there but are there any groups that are there to help people with this issue specifically? I’m on my phone or I’d look it up since I’m wide awake for some reason

Comment

I hope you find a solution. I used Copaxone for years, and the lack of side effects was the deciding factor for me.

Have you talked to your neuro about this? Maybe he or she knows of a program? How about the NMSS?

Comment

The federal government prohibits drug companies from "subsidizing" the cost of medications.

Please look into getting a Medicare part D supplemental insurance policy. Open enrollment ends this Friday so you will need to respond quickly.

Comment

I have a part d drug plan. Plus I have a supplemental plan but that doesn't cover drug copays. Right?

Comment

Have you checked with your neuro to see if they have any suggestions and/or information? Have you contacted The National Multiple Sclerosis Society and the Multiple Sclerosis Society of America?

Comment

Working...
                              X