SSDI Hearing Wait Times

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SSDI Hearing Wait Times

I simply wanted to let the community know that, finally, the wait for SSDI hearings is being reduced. The SSA has hired many new judges and modified some of their programs in an attempt to reduce the wait times for hearings, and these efforts are finally having an impact. In southeastern Pennsylvania, where we once had the longest wait times in the nation (up to 24 months from the request to the hearing), the delay has dropped to less than 18 months. We recently scheduled a hearing to occur within 12 months of our request.

Is 18 months too long? Of course it is.

Unfortunately, the nationwide SSDI approval rates continue to fall.

As I tell my clients, plan for the worst and work for the best. Good luck!
    Attorney Jamie R. Hall's practice is focused on assisting individuals with claims and appeals for Social Security Disability and Long Term Disability benefits. He has assisted claimants nationwide, approximately half of whom are MS patients, from his Pennsylvania and Ohio locations. **No attorney/client relationship is created by this communication, and information provided herein is not a substitute for formal advisement.**

Thanks Jamie,

That is really good news. I remember when my lawyer told me about the shortage of federal justices to hear cases.
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

It is still very bad in Arizona. My case, along with countless others, was transferred to the state of California to be processed there due to the backlog.

Unfortunately, 2 ALJs in California retired shortly after the AZ cases were transferred, so none of them were even looked at. They sat for 6 months in California and were then transferred back to Arizona.

My request for hearing was submitted 17 months ago. I received a letter from the Office of Hearings just before Christmas telling me it would be at least another 9 months before my case would likely be assigned to an ALJ.

If that does turn out to be the case, I am looking at a grand total of 26 months waiting for a hearing.

Comment

A recent report published by the Social Security Administration notes that the number of Social Security Disability cases pending a hearing has been reduced from 1.1 million in 2016 to 858,000 in 2018. It's still way too many people waiting, but it is good to see the number dropping after regular increases in the years prior.
        Attorney Jamie R. Hall's practice is focused on assisting individuals with claims and appeals for Social Security Disability and Long Term Disability benefits. He has assisted claimants nationwide, approximately half of whom are MS patients, from his Pennsylvania and Ohio locations. **No attorney/client relationship is created by this communication, and information provided herein is not a substitute for formal advisement.**

Comment

Working...
        X