Questions about diet/ nutritionist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions about diet/ nutritionist

1. Any advice on how I can find a nutritionist near me? Everything I have found online has not been helpful and is mostly for people wanting to lose weight.

2. I am strongly considering the swank diet... Any suggestions on this? Positives or negatives? I am not a big fan of red meat so that part is not going to be a problem for me... but any suggestions on if this is the best diet?

3. Because I am lazy and hate cooking.... anyone know of a healthy and cheapish delivery service that is available?

What is your goal?
    The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

Diet

Well there is no specific diet linked to treat MS.

I just follow a sensible diet with cheat meals once a week. Fruits and vegetables, lean meat, lower saturated fat, limited sugar.

I eat eat almost watever I want so long as I keep it healthy. I exercise regularly to keep any excess calories burnt off.

Originally posted by Daisycat View Post
      1. Any advice on how I can find a nutritionist near me? Everything I have found online has not been helpful and is mostly for people wanting to lose weight.

2. I am strongly considering the swank diet... Any suggestions on this? Positives or negatives? I am not a big fan of red meat so that part is not going to be a problem for me... but any suggestions on if this is the best diet?

3. Because I am lazy and hate cooking.... anyone know of a healthy and cheapish delivery service that is available?

Comment

Here is a thread that recently talked about food delivery services https://www.msworld.org/forum/showth...=food+delivery

However, I don't know if any of them are cheap.
        I was on a Swank diet when I first got diagnosed. (I bought the book explaining it complete with recipes). I had a hard time giving up on butter and cheese, but I did eventually do it. Going off meat for the first 12 months wasn't all that hard - I really don't eat much of it in general.

Honestly, I didn't stick with it after a couple years as we were raising 3 teenagers at the time and meals just got too difficult with my restrictions.

Now I just eat sensible meals - grass fed lean protein, tofu, lots of veggies, low saturated fats- and mostly organic and fresh!
        1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
        Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

My goal is to keep this disease away from me as long as possible.

On the swank diet I thought it was only red meat you gave up the first year? I’m fine with that because I never eat it anyway. I love chicken and turkey so I’m ok if I can use those.

My diet now is low fat, low sodium, low saturated, lots of fruits, trying to add vegetables... I really hate vegetables so it’s kinda a struggle but I’m trying.

Since I’ve been eating better and working out most days I’ve almost reached my goal weight. It would help if they would fix the heater at my apartment gym.

Some days I don’t feel like driving to the gym after work but walking to the apartment gym is doable. (And some days I can’t go straight there.... working around animals I sometimes need a bath just to go work out)

Comment

I think I'm wrong about the butter and cheese, but it is restricted because of the amt of fats in them. Here is a guideline about fats in the diet:

no more than 15 grams (g) of saturated fat per day
            no less than 20 g of unsaturated fat per day
            no more than 50 g of total fat per day

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/318665.php

Good luck! Sounds like you're already on a good path!
            1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
            Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Daisycat --

This probably isn't what you're looking for. But, my functional medicine doctor specializes in clinical nutrition. He has patients from all over the US and more. He skypes with them, I think.

If you want more info, my contact info is in my profile. Both my mod email address, and my personal one.

He's not covered by insurance.

And he would counsel you to give up wheat, dairy and added sugar.
              ~ Faith
              MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
              (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
              - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
              - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
              - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

I think my one issue will be my Starbucks... but I’ve already made it with no whip cream, almond milk , and a smaller size.

So I’ve at least improved it.

I’ve been doing a good job mostly I think. I’m kind of stressed about thanksgiving. If I go off a diet for a day it kills my willpower. If I stay on it I’ll take it as far as possible.

My mom and dad understand but I don’t know about my bfs family.

Comment

Hello Daisycat,

Here is a relevant interview... you may google the title if the link does not work...

Can Diet Alter Brain Function in MS?

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/904116#vp_2

Comment

My oak

I’ll have to look at that link later. My phone isn’t wanting to do anything today. I think I need an upgrade or something.

Mamabug

that is kinda what I’m looking for. Everything I can find here is for weight loss or body building. Do you know if he takes health savings accounts? I’ll email you once I’m not on this phone.

How does everyone here handle holidays? I’m not for a “cheat day “ I am bad about making one cheat day turn into a cheat month.

Comment

Mamabug

that is kinda what I’m looking for. Everything I can find here is for weight loss or body building. Do you know if he takes health savings accounts? I’ll email you once I’m not on this phone.

How does everyone here handle holidays? I’m not for a “cheat day “ I am bad about making one cheat day turn into a cheat month.
                      Yes; he accepts health savings accounts.

Regarding holidays:

1. Back when I was on a diet for weight loss, about 7 or 8 years ago, I believed in cheat days. Actually, I didn't even call them cheat days. They were a part of my dieting plan and they were called "splurge days".
                      I scheduled:
                      - "enough days" 2 days per week -- I ate enough to meet my BMR requirements. (For me, it was 1200-1500 calories per day.)
                      - "medium days" 3 days per week -- I ate a little less. (900 - 1199 calories)
                      - "hungry days" 2 days per week -- I needed to eat little, but frequently, in order to get by. (700-899 calories)
                      - "splurge days" 1x per month, instead of an "enough day" -- I saved these for special occasions, such as birthdays, holidays, going out to a buffet, etc. I still didn't "binge". At buffets, I still needed to choose moderately and carefully, but it gave me permission to eat a little bit more. And, I think it was good for a weight loss diet; it prevented my body from going into "starvation mode" and plateauing.

2. But, now, on no-wheat, no-dairy, I just don't cheat. I cheated once, on gluten, and I noticed a decline in my mobility for about a week. I could live with that, but I suspect it also slowed the healing / recovery process that I hope this diet is doing with my MS overall.
                      ~ Faith
                      (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                      - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.

- Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Mamabug

do you mind telling me what his rates are? I’ve never used my hsa so it’s just been rolling over every year so I got some I can work with.

And thankfully im not having to do anything for thanksgiving. My mom and dad understand my reasoning and my bf is going to tell his people I’m not feeling well. Which is going to be the truth because I’ve been depressed every holiday since this thing.

So Christmas will be a problem but hopefully by then I’ll have this diet figured out.

Comment

He's not cheap.

$80 an hour. It includes access to him between appointments by text. To answer questions, etc.

At first, visits were weekly (for about 6 weeks?). Now they are once a month.

An additional initial expense is an IgG IgA 184 Food Sensitivity Test. It's a little over $300, and a big part of what he does. Only certain labs do, I think. I currently have a lot of food sensitivities that also affect my diet.

He believes that, in two years, I can be symptom free. I'm skeptical. But I'm no longer getting worse. And I've noticed minor improvements already.

Please read my functional medicine posts in the Medications and Treatments forum under the CAMs sub-forum for more info. It talks about additional lifestyle changes too.

That would also be a better place for me to answer future questions about him. :-) I thought about moving recent posts over there, but I'll leave this one here. If you decide you want contact info at some point, we can do that by email.

I see him in person. His office is 25 miles from me. So I'm not sure how the long distance / Skype thing works.
                          ~ Faith
                          (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

Working...
                          X