Medications for NEUROGENIC BLADDER

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Medications for NEUROGENIC BLADDER

Wondering if my MS family can help me out. I was searching on line today for more info re: Neurogenic Bladder. Am looking for medications that help with this (I am familiar with OXYBUTANINE only). Please share any medications you are aware of that will help with this and share how you deal with this irritating issue with MS.

THANKS IN ADVANCE.
    Peace to all,
    LM
    RRMS 11/11/2005, SPMS 20011 (guess I 'graduated')

I take Vesicare. It helps me. It does give me dry mouth, but since it works well, not giving it up. It also affects how fast I start and how long it takes to urinate. I am used to it, but nothing like being in public place with people waiting. Can't even begin to count the dirty looks!
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

I have oxybutin which I use as needed usually before a flight or train trip. The fact that to the best of my knowledge these medications are all anticholinergics makes me hesitant to use them full time and thankfully my urgency/frequency, my bladder contractions start when there is 50mls in my bladder, has been mostly manageable with bladder training.

Bladder training sounded useless to me but I figured I paid to see the neurologist so I would try it and the truth is it changed my life. My capacity will never be like a normal person but it made a huge difference. Much of it was the psychological anxiety that was causing me to use the restroom too frequently out of fear that I wouldn't be able to hold it. I had created a worse situation than my actual medical condition and it has markedly improved.

Here are some links:

https://www.ucsfhealth.org/education/bladder_training/

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-l...s/art-20045283
      He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
      Anonymous

Comment

I did try Botox and it worked wonders but....

I used oxybutinin for 20 years. I could take one 5mg pill and be safe for 8 hours. Then the oxy stopped working. Tried all the other similar meds too. I got one Botox treatment and thought I had found the gold standard of bladder treatment. But I ran into problems. My bladder retains too much and I can not learn to self cath. So, in despair with my life being drastically interrupted I returned to using oxybutinin and took 10 mg and found it worked again in the higher dosage.

The dry mouth is a huge problem. I found something called Smart Mouth.it eliminates the bad breath caused by dry mouth and essentially eliminates the feeling of dry mouth...all for 12 hours. I bought the single packs which are sold as a take anywhere travel product. I simply tear the top off and pour twin packs into my mouth where they combine and then I use as any mouthwash with vigorous swishing for a minute.

It tastes fine and really works. Can’t believe I never knew about it.
        Hope this info helps someone.’
        "Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

Currently on rituxan

Comment

Urgency ) Frequency

Avoiding caffeine and other diuretics helps. I googled to find fruits and vegetables that are the worst.

A magnesium / calcium supplement before bed helps me. I get up once every four hours instead of every two hours.
          ~ Faith
          MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
          (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
          - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
          - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
          - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Originally posted by MSLazarus View Post
            The dry mouth is a huge problem. I found something called Smart Mouth.it eliminates the bad breath caused by dry mouth and essentially eliminates the feeling of dry mouth...all for 12 hours. I bought the single packs which are sold as a take anywhere travel product. I simply tear the top off and pour twin packs into my mouth where they combine and then I use as any mouthwash with vigorous swishing for a minute.

It tastes fine and really works. Can’t believe I never knew about it.
            Hope this info helps someone.’
            This is very helpful and for someone I know who doesn't have MS. Thanks!!
            He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
            Anonymous

Comment

Thanks. What strength supplement?

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
              Avoiding caffeine and other diuretics helps. I googled to find fruits and vegetables that are the worst.

A magnesium / calcium supplement before bed helps me. I get up once every four hours instead of every two hours.
              Thanks. What is the strength you take? Two different pills? I will give it a try. Because I save oxybutinin for the daytime the nights are quite a problem.
              "Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

Currently on rituxan

Comment

I HAVE TRIED Ditropan, Vesicare and now botox

I used the ditropan for a few years which stopped working. I had been on the Veisicare for several years and it worked well for years but I had side effects. My experience was it dried everything out
                I always had constipation and dry mouth. I had major dental work due to dry mouth. My teeth
                had rapid decay and several fell out. I had to have major costly dental work done. I also had diverticulitis which resulted in a perforated bowel and a week in the hospital.

Last week, I just tried bladder botox . So far so good. Too soon to know final results.

Good luck.

Comment

Accidents are a thing of the past...Hopefully.

My neurologist had me try oxybutynin because I was having accidents days and nights. I take one 5mg in the morning and two 5mg in the evening. I started on December 1st. I haven’t had a nighttime accident since the calendar turned over to 2019. Days are easier also, as long as I’m close to a restroom.
                  He tried to get me on other meds for my bladder but they didn’t have generics, weren’t covered by insurance or too expensive.
                  I pray everyone has a great day. God bless.
                  DXed MS 11/2005, SX started 1986. SX worsened 2003. Primary Progressive/Malignant MS. Copaxone til 06/06, Betaseron til 01/08, Novantrone til 11/07, Tysabri til 01/11 33 doses. Tecfidera 04/16-present. JCV+.

To God be the Glory!

Comment

Working...
                  X