Slowing down progression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slowing down progression

1. Is there anything else that can slow down progression? Every time I look online I come up with a list of 3 new vitamins to try or extreme diets (water fasting). The thing I read suggested doing it for 21 days. I am pretty sure I would die if I tried to do a 21 day water fast.

This is something I plan to discuss with my new? Neuro that I see on the 29th, but if there is anything else I can be doing I want to start on it now.
    I already got a message with a pre appointment questionnaire and a note to bring all my questions with my to the appointment… so that’s a good sign I think.

These are the things I plan to try to do

Drink lots of water

2. Take a different vitamins/supplements

3. Fasting mimicking diet and water fasting a few days a week
    4. Swank diet the other days
    5. TRY to hang out with a friend at least one day a week to help me relax
    6. Work out almost every day ( goal is 15,000 steps)
    7. Weight lift 6 days a week
    8. Do a small amount of yoga every day
    9. Keep using my medication

Has anyone used these supplements?

1. Pycnogenol
    2. Sulforaphane
    3. Curcumin
    4. L Carantine
    5. L threonine

Being stuck in my apartment waiting on our every other year apartment inspection is leaving me with a lot of free time and since I am taking a break from tattoos while me recent one heals I am going to have a lot of extra money and have read some good and bad things about these things.

I feel like diet is one area most doctors don't really like to talk to patient's about so I figured I would see if anyone here has used any of these.

Comment

I sometimes take curcumin because of it's anti-inflammatory properties. Its also know to help depression. One supplement that my naturopathic Dr recommends is R-lipoic acid.

From Nutritional Review -

"R-lipoic acid is the biologically active form of the key ‘mitochondrial antioxidant,’ alpha lipoic acid. R-lipoic acid is directly involved in cellular metabolism and is a vital component of the intracellular antioxidant cycle, able to scavenge a variety of free radicals and reactive oxygen species (ROS) while recycling vitamins C, E and glutathione. R-lipoic readily crosses the blood brain barrier and has been shown effective for elevating intracellular glutathione levels. R-LA helps regulate neuronal calcium homeostasis, regulates pro-inflammatory cytokines, and alters the expression of ‘toxic genes.’ R-lipoic acid has been used to treat diabetes and has been recommended as a “neuroprotective agent.” Because R-lipoic is the naturally occurring form found in mitochondrial complexes it offers substantially greater antioxidant and neuroprotective benefits at substantially lower doses than the synthetic forms of lipoic acid currently available."

The synthetic form is ALA which is the l-carnitine in your list.

BTW, Daisy - your list is awesome and good for you for doing all you can!!
      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

What brand of curcumin do you suggest? I looked an amazon and there were so many different ones to choose from. I know its trial and error to find out what works best for each person , but I don't trust the reviews on Amazon since getting emails about certain products telling me I would get a discount on my next order for a positive review.

Comment

I get an "organic turmeric curcumin" at my health food store. I don;t have any on hand right now, but it's something like Natural Science?? It is not cheap however.

Comment

Turmeric Curcumin by Science Natural Supplements 1300mg | BioPerine Black Pepper

Does that sound like the kind you use? I am still stuck waiting on them to inspect my apartment…. As much as I love Netflix binging I wish they would hurry up so I can go to the gym and go to the health food store and look for this supplement. At least I had today off….(assuming they actually come today)

Comment

Mine is Organic Turmeric Supplement Curcumin Extract with BioPerine (Black Pepper Extract) and Ginger Powder Naturo Sciences - found it on Amazon!

Hope they come today so you can get on with your life. It can be frustrating waiting on others.

Comment

I've read that it's important to use a cucurmin supplement that also includes black pepper because it enhances its effect.

I also take Omega 3, a probiotic, D3 as well as others.

I often prefer Nature's Sunshine brand, or NOW. Depends on what my doc and my kinesiologist recommend.
                ~ Faith
                MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Thanks for the brand. I will have to look it up. They were checking each apartment to see what needs to be replaced when someone moves out. We have lived here for 13 years I can tell them pretty much everything since they have remolded all of the apartments. They were in and out in 3 minutes. I feel like I wasted my morning.

Thanks Mamabug - I need to find a good probiotic. The one I have doesn't seem to really do anything for me either way.

Comment

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
                    I sometimes take curcumin because of it's anti-inflammatory properties. Its also know to help depression. One supplement that my naturopathic Dr recommends is R-lipoic acid.

From Nutritional Review -

"R-lipoic acid is the biologically active form of the key ‘mitochondrial antioxidant,’ alpha lipoic acid. R-lipoic acid is directly involved in cellular metabolism and is a vital component of the intracellular antioxidant cycle, able to scavenge a variety of free radicals and reactive oxygen species (ROS) while recycling vitamins C, E and glutathione. R-lipoic readily crosses the blood brain barrier and has been shown effective for elevating intracellular glutathione levels. R-LA helps regulate neuronal calcium homeostasis, regulates pro-inflammatory cytokines, and alters the expression of ‘toxic genes.’ R-lipoic acid has been used to treat diabetes and has been recommended as a “neuroprotective agent.” Because R-lipoic is the naturally occurring form found in mitochondrial complexes it offers substantially greater antioxidant and neuroprotective benefits at substantially lower doses than the synthetic forms of lipoic acid currently available."

The synthetic form is ALA which is the l-carnitine in your list.

BTW, Daisy - your list is awesome and good for you for doing all you can!!

Just wanted to see how well you are seeing results from the two supplements are doing for you? I have been on pain meds for 20 plus years I'd say. I was on fyntinal at least 15 of those years and now I'm only using my Percocet 10mg I sometimes take 3 of them a day and I made a two month supply last almost 6 months now new pain Dr I have to go to. But I'm trying to get something that will help me with the inflammation that the pain pills don't help with.

Comment

I take fish oil gummies for the reported anti-inflammatory properties. There is actually some data on the benefits and I feel as if it has increased my attention which is a huge positive. The gummy candy like formulation will probably rot my teeth but thats a worry for another day, lol.
                      He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
                      Anonymous

Comment

I need to get some new fish oil. I just realized the bottle I have is expired (really expired not just a few months)

do they sell the gummies by the regular vitamins?

Comment

Originally posted by Daisycat View Post
                          I need to get some new fish oil. I just realized the bottle I have is expired (really expired not just a few months)

do they sell the gummies by the regular vitamins?
                          Yes, they are a bit expensive but I can usually find them on buy 1 get 1 free special every few months. And they are delicious!
                          He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
                          Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by Bobby72 View Post
                            Just wanted to see how well you are seeing results from the two supplements are doing for you? I have been on pain meds for 20 plus years I'd say. I was on fyntinal at least 15 of those years and now I'm only using my Percocet 10mg I sometimes take 3 of them a day and I made a two month supply last almost 6 months now new pain Dr I have to go to. But I'm trying to get something that will help me with the inflammation that the pain pills don't help with.
                            Hi Bobby - I only have used the curcumin/turmeric sometimes off and on. I didn't see any glaringly remarkable improvements, but maybe because I don't add them to my daily supplements? I do take R-lipoic everyday, but it's really hard to outwardly determine noticeable improvements. I just know it's good for me.

However, it wouldn't hurt to try for yourself. Sorry you are in so much pain.

Comment

You might want to consider spending the money on flax seed oil instead of fish oil- see overcomingmultiplesclerosis website.

You may want to try golden milk with ginger, fresh turmeric, non-dairy milk, black pepper and a tad of sweetener. I put fresh ginger and fresh turmeric in the blender and made ice cubes of it for making the golden milk.

The recommendation is 10000 steps a day- hitting that is good.

Weight lifting 6 days a week does not allow your muscles to recuperate.

Get sleep, meditate, eat whole foods, socialize, seek sunshine, don´t smoke

You have more control via lifestyle choices than you may think.

Comment

Working...
                              X