Brain tumor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brain tumor?

I had my 6 month appt with my MS doctor. We reviewed the MRI that was done last week. I've had some growth in my lesions, but otherwise stable. Then, he tells me I have a schwannoma at the base if my skull. It's benign, but inoperable due to it's location. Has anyone ever been diagnosed with this type of tumor?

Please delete

Could one of the mods please remove this thread? It seem to be irrelevant and uninteresting.

Comment

Originally posted by kittysmith View Post
      I had my 6 month appt with my MS doctor. We reviewed the MRI that was done last week. I've had some growth in my lesions, but otherwise stable. Then, he tells me I have a schwannoma at the base if my skull. It's benign, but inoperable due to it's location. Has anyone ever been diagnosed with this type of tumor?
      Hi kittysmith

I'm not familiar with the schwannoma tumor.

Glad to know that it is benign.

Will it cause any type of symptoms?

Hopefully not.

Take Care
      PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
      ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Could one of the mods please remove this thread? It seem to be irrelevant and uninteresting.
        kittysmith

Would you mind if this thread is up for a little while longer, in case others have had this experience with the scwannoma being found on MRI?

The board traffic is kind of light lately.

Thanks!

Take Care
        PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
        ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Hi Kittysmith,
          I'm sorry that you have to deal with that along with your ms. I hope that it doesn't cause any problems. Any idea what caused it?

Comment

Hey kittysmith,

I am sorry you have a new diagnosis. I am unfamiliar with it. I wanted to ask questions, when I first saw, but wasn't sure aopropriate. If not, please ignore below.

Did your doc give you any info on it? Does it cause you symptoms and if so, can you differentiate from MS? Was this new from prior MRIs or just first time noted?

I have had incidental notes on MRIs, but minor. I am sure this was a tough one to hear.
            Kathy
            DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

tumor

So, from what I can find online, a Schwannoma is a tumor of the tissue that covers nerve sheath. Most are benign. Mine is in a location where it would be inoperable. They grow slowly, so my doc doesn't think I need to worry about it for a while. Ugh.

Comment

I'm sorry Kitty.. I can't say I have heard of this type of tumor. I hope everything else is OK with you.

Comment

Tumor

My MRI in February of this year showed that I have a vestibular schwannoma. It is in my left ear canal. Also inoperable. Mine has not increased in size since then( new MRI last month to monitor). Some Dr also call it a neuroma. I was told I could have radiation to reduce the size if it becomes too large. But due to the location of mine it would cause permanent loss of hearing in left ear.

Also due to location mine can also affect my balance since it is sitting on the vestibular nerve. They are very rare. Most people DX with them do not have surgery or radiation and just monitor for growth. Also my ENT said that it is becoming more common for MRI to pick up small ones now because the machines used now are clearer.
                  So for me it just monitor . Most grow very very slowly. I think statistics say less that 1mm per year. Which is less than the thickness of you fingernail.

Julie

Comment

Hi Kittysmith, I've heard the term before, but have no idea about the tumor and symptoms, etc. I also understand why it's inoperable because of it's position.

Have you thought about seeking out a forum that has discussions of schwanomas, and probably a lot more info about that kind of tumor. I'm not implying leaving MSWorld, just also frequent a message board where the folks have a lot of info on that type of tumor.

I have neuromuscular scoliosis. And though caused by MS, not many folks on this board are familiar with the subject, so I've asked questions on a scoliosis board. I did the same thing when I had questions about an arrhythmia that many folks have, just not a lot of MS patients, so I sought out a SVT board to get more answers.

Here's hoping you get all your questions answered.

Comment

Hopefully it won't cause you any issues. I have heard of it but don't have any specific information. I wonder if this is one of those things, like my thyroid nodules, that wouldn't have been diagnosed if we weren't getting MRIs due to MS?

Here are some resources if you are looking for more information:

Organizations Supporting this Disease:
                      American Brain Tumor Association
                      8550 W. Bryn Mawr Ave, Ste 550
                      Chicago, IL 60631
                      Toll-free: 1-800-886-2282
                      Telephone: +1-773-577-8750
                      Fax: +1-773-577-8738
                      E-mail: info@abta.org

Social Networking Websites:
                      Visit the Schwannoma Survivors & Schwannoma Fighters group on Facebook.

Organizations Providing General Support:
                      American Cancer Society
                      250 Williams Street NW
                      Atlanta, GA 30329
                      Toll-free: 800-227-2345

All above from:
                      https://rarediseases.info.nih.gov/di...767/schwannoma
                      He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
                      Anonymous

Comment

Thank you

Originally posted by Daisycat View Post
                        I'm sorry Kitty.. I can't say I have heard of this type of tumor. I hope everything else is OK with you.
                        Thanks, Daisycat. Hope it's not too serious. My doc said no big deal. But, you just told me I have a brain tumor. Lol.

Comment

Thank you

Originally posted by Jenaw35 View Post
                          My MRI in February of this year showed that I have a vestibular schwannoma. It is in my left ear canal. Also inoperable. Mine has not increased in size since then( new MRI last month to monitor). Some Dr also call it a neuroma. I was told I could have radiation to reduce the size if it becomes too large. But due to the location of mine it would cause permanent loss of hearing in left ear.

Also due to location mine can also affect my balance since it is sitting on the vestibular nerve. They are very rare. Most people DX with them do not have surgery or radiation and just monitor for growth. Also my ENT said that it is becoming more common for MRI to pick up small ones now because the machines used now are clearer.
                          So for me it just monitor . Most grow very very slowly. I think statistics say less that 1mm per year. Which is less than the thickness of you fingernail.

Julie
                          Apparently, the vestibular tumors are the most common. I have read that they are slow growing. Thank you for confirming that.

Comment

Thank you all for your concern and kind words

Thank you all for your messages. My doctor reassured me that he's not worried about it. Easier said than done. Lol. I posted here mainly because the tumors form around the nerve sheath and it almost sounded MS related. I belive it was just an incidental finding during my 6mo MRi.

You guys are the best.

Comment

kittysmith,

That sounds like quite the news to get from your doc without getting a lot of information about it! Bless your heart!

They did tell me I had “mild cerebellar tonsilar ectopia.” Lots of Googling and conversations with a couple radiologist friends told me this was nothing to worry about.

*sigh*... MS is enough. I genuinely hope you don’t have to deal with any other diagnoses in your lifetime.

Take care,
                              smalltowngirl
                              DX 3/2018; started Ocrevus 3/30/18 (EDSS 2.5)

"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day."
                              - 2 Corinthians 4:16

Comment

Working...
                              X