Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mri, numbness and lesions question

Hi there everyone.

I have had my neurolgist appointment. I had an examination and im not sure on all the results but my toes did not respond to a stick on my feet and i have numbness on a few areas of my body that i didnt realise were numb.
    I have been referred for a MRI on my brain and spine. FND and MS were mentioned. And i may need more tests apparently if MRI results are not obvious.

Just a few questions.

Does the numbness stay forever for either conditions? Are the numb areas significant to either diagnosis?

Do MS marks on the brain happen all the time or only correlating with symptoms? Or are the marked areas irrelevant?

Thankyou for taking time to read : )

Hi Topaz84 ~

Originally posted by Topaz84 View Post
    Does the numbness stay forever for either conditions? Are the numb areas significant to either diagnosis?
    Numbness is a common sensory symptom of MS.

Sometimes it can come and go, and sometimes numbness is apparent at all times. I have an area of numbness that appears under certain conditions, for instance when my body temperature is elevated, or when I'm fatigued or have a virus or fever. I also have an area of numbness that is present at all times, but worsens under certain conditions.

Numbness may resolve over time with RRMS.

Originally posted by Topaz84 View Post
    Do MS marks on the brain happen all the time or only correlating with symptoms? Or are the marked areas irrelevant?
    MS lesions/plaques do not always correlate with symptoms. And also, there can be symptoms with no visible correlating lesions on MRI.

From the Demystifying Mri's article:

One challenge with MRI images is linking them to the clinical manifestation of the disease, such as a relapse or symptom. For instance, new lesions, or plaques, appear on MRI scans about 10 times more frequently than when clinical relapses with symptoms occur. Therefore, many of the plaques that are seen on MRI are “clinically silent,” which means that they don’t result in new symptoms.

...it’s also important for people with MS to be aware that disease activity can occur even in the absence of new lesions.

http://www.momentummagazineonline.co...stifying-mris/

Good luck with your MRI appointment, and let us know what you find out.

Take Care
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Hi Topaz.
      I have MS and I have numbness in my feet and around my waist. I'm not sure how significant the numb spots are to diagnosis but I think they indicate past or present disease activity.

In MS marks/plaques/lesions indicate past or present disease activity. They correspond to areas of demyalination.

Depending on where the plaques occur may determine the symptoms and numbness. Some damage may be "silent" meaning there are no symptoms. Some damage may be temporary some permanent.

I have had numbness that has gotten better but the numbness in my feet and around my waist is always there like background noise. It's not as numb as it was but it's still there.

I hope I helped answer some questions. Good luck with your MRI.
      Ei

Comment

Hi Topaz84

Functional Neurological Disorder(FND) can cause a variety of Neurological type symptoms but is not due to a disease process like Multiple Sclerosis.

The symptoms of MS are caused by demyelination of the Central Nervous System(CNS). The symptoms MS causes can be permanent, come and go, or completely resolve ~ this is different for each person. If a person is suspected of having MS it is important to have MRIs of brain and spine, as lesions can show up anywhere within the CNS (brain, spinal cord, and Optic Nerves).

I don't know what you know about FND so I am providing links that might give you a better understanding. I have known a young lady since she was a child who has FND and she still struggles with symptoms. She is a friend of my daughter's. Take care.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/syc-20355197

https://fndhope.org/fnd-guide/symptoms/

http://www.neurosymptoms.org/
        Diagnosed 1984
        “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Brain lesions do not always correlate to symptoms. Spinal lesions are easier to type to symptoms. The brain is so complex. Plus, it has the ability sometimes to compensate for damage, and find a way around the damage to continue sending signals. It is a concept known as neuroplasticity.

Like KoKo, I have permanent numbness, along with some areas that become numb when tired, overheated, or sick. For me, the areas that become numb intermittently, are areas that were numb during a relapse, but resolved when the relapse ended. Not sure if that is the case for all.

Hopefully your neuro ordered both the brain and spinal cord MRIs. The cervical spine is the most common place for MS spinal lesions, but they can also occur in lumbar and thoracic spinal regions.

Hope you get some answers.
          Kathy
          DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Thankyou all so much for your information and advice, and taking the time to reply. Greatly appreciated : )

Comment

Working...
            X