Baclofen or Tizanidine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baclofen or Tizanidine?

I've been experiencing a huge increase in spasticity in my left leg causing so much pain. I have been taking flexoril at nightime because most of my spasms start right when I try to fall asleep. I still get breakthrough pain causing me to wake up and take more than the prescribed amount.

Lately, even during the day, my leg will seize up causing my knee to buckle and lose control causing me near falls.

Called my neuro and can't get in until March, so I made an appt with my pcp and will see her in two weeks.

Neuro's nurse called me this am and recommend that I have my pcp prescribe either baclofen or tizanidine when I see her. I'm wondering if any of you have tried both of them and which one ypou prefer? I've never been on either of them.

I need pros and cons before I make my decision and hoping others here could help me. Thanks so much!
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Seasha, I have both (Baclofen and Tizanidine). I believe it becomes a personal preference based on how well each one works for you with the least amount of side effects.

My experience; I was taking 80mgs of Baclofen. Over time I had increased the amount to the 80mgs, with my Neurologist's approval. What I finally figured out on my own was it had increased my fatigue to the point that Narcolepsy was suspected. My Neurologist suggested I try Tizanidine and get off the Baclofen.

I felt so much better, fatigue wise when I got off Baclofen. My response to Baclofen scared me enough that I don't take either muscle relaxer on a regular 3x a day.

For me, Tizanidine doesn't make me as tired, for as long, as Baclofen did, But Tizanidine doesn't work as well as Baclofen. If I need or want I can take Baclofen and Tizanidine together.

My preference is Tizanidine. I found PT to be helpful. My left leg muscles won't release which has caused knots and squeezing of the sciatic nerve. I learned how to use Massage Therapy(MT) and a tennis ball for some relief.

I hope one or both of the medications give you some relief.
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

My spasticity was so bad that no combination of tizanidine, baclofen, Valium, Flexeril, morphin, etc would control my spasticity or the related pain.

At lower doses, I preferred baclofen over tizanidine - it was just more effective for me.
      At higher doses, baclofen can be brutal and that's when people begin looking at baclofen pumps. With the pump, I got rid of all other medications, have zero side effects and my baclofen dose went from 240mg to 0.005mg.

This definitely isn't a one time decision. Start with either one and switch to the other if you aren't getting sufficient results.

Comment

Thanks Snoopy and Marco. Sorry that none of the other meds worked for you, Marco, but glad the pump is helping considerably.

Snoopy, your suggestion for PT is something I'm going to ask my pcp when I see her. I do yoga, but can add PT also.

I just wondering if people take these meds only when needed or as a daily dosage?

Guess I'll have to wait and find out which works best for me and how often, as mentioned.

Comment

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
          I just wondering if people take these meds only when needed or as a daily dosage?
          I have used Baclofen off and on for many years, mostly as needed which worked fine for me. Spasticity changed and I used it on a regular basis, prescribed 4x a day. You start out low and slowly increase until you reach a dosage that works best for you. I had worked up to 20mg 4x a day.

Tizanidine, for me, is prescribed 4mg 3x a day. For a bit I did use Tizanidine as prescribed.

I no longer use either at the prescribed dose and my Neurologist is fine with using either one as needed. He has told me to be very careful how much I take based on what happened at 80mg of Baclofen.

Both medications can be cut for a lower dose.
          Diagnosed 1984
          “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Seasha, I am sorry you are having a lot of pain due to spasticity. I have been taking 20mg twice a day. 2 in the morn. and one at night. I used to take 3 sometimes 4 at night but it would not help the foot and ankle spasms. I have never tired tizanidine. I know this doesn't help just wanted you to know I'm thinking of you.
            God Bless Us All

Comment

Hello Seasha. I take one 10mg Baclofen at night before bed. Sometimes two.
              I tried taking them as recommended three per day but got too tired and got rubber legs from them as well. It seemed to worsen my balance too. Am so stiff and spastic but especially in the mornings upon waking. If I’m expirencing discomfort from it during the day I only take as needed rarely. They say if you take it regularly you get over the tiredness but I didn’t give that a chance. I guess you could say I only take as needed. They coupled with my sleep med give me dreams at night something I didn’t do much since my younger days. They also say if you take it regular and want to stop that you should wean yourself off. Hope you finding some relief. Good luck.
              It was one agains't 2.5million toughest one we ever fought.

Comment

Thanks oceanpride - just now as I sit here, the leg spasms are constant and this is after taking tizanidine over an hour ago. This is what my Dr prescribed earlier this week. I can either take flexeril and my sleep med or if spasms are too strong (like now)- 4mg tizanidine and sleep med.

So far after an hour- nothing! I don't know if it's supposed to work right away, but it is wearing me out. My whole leg seizes up and aches so much. This is sooo old! It's starts happening almost every evening after dinner.

I guess I'll just have to wait as the jury is still out if this is the right med for me. If after a time this proves ineffective, I'll be looking at baclofen. IDK

Comment

Working...
                X