Medicare on SSDI primary or secondary payer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Medicare on SSDI primary or secondary payer

After many emails and then a conference call, I learned that my former employer plan will be the primary payer once eligible for Medicare under age 65. PHEW! But... the initial email answer was that I would need to sign up for Medicare A and B. That was incorrect. I need only sign up for A. This is huge regarding future finances. If you are on a group plan and become eligible for Medicare due to SSDI, be sure to ask for the actual policy from the group plan and don´t just rely on the insurance company´s representative to give you the answer as in my case she was wrong.

Thanks, interesting. I thought medicare coverage came directly from Social Security not the employer group plan?

When receiving coverage through LTD and SSDI ( when approved), do you receive checks from both parties and are responsible to pay a portion back to LTD? Or does SSDI provide directly to LTD?

Comment

We seem to be talking about more than one issue here.

1. Medicare
      In most cases, enrolling in Medicare Part A as soon as you’re eligible isa good idea, even if you already have employer coverage. This is because if you have a qualifying work history, Part A coverage is premium-free, which means it costs you nothing to take advantage of your Part A benefits.

if you qualify for Medicare but you’re still working, or your spouse is still working, and you decide to delay enrollment in Medicare Part B, you may be able to enroll in Part B when your group coverage ends without incurring a penalty. You can usually qualify for a Special Enrollment Period.

If you don’t enroll in Part B as soon as you become eligible, and you don’t qualify for a Special Enrollment Period, you may have to pay a late-enrollment penalty for as long as you have coverage.
      A Medicare Special Enrollment Period generally only applies to coverage from your or your spouse’s current employer.

I'm really not sure who the primary payer for Medicare under 65 would be. I only have Part A, and I have never needed to use it. But, that might make sense -- that your former employer would be the primary payer, as a part of their LTD benefits.

2. LTD and SSDI
      I currently receive both. My LTD payment is their minimum ($100 per month) because I also qualify for SSDI. My SSDI payment is based on how much and how long I've paid in.

When my years of employment with my former employer plus my years on LTD total 25 years, my LTD will convert to retirement benefits and I will receive full retirement, as if I had been employed by them for the full 25 years. (I was employed by two different KPERS employers, for a total of 10.5 years, prior to going on KPERS LTD disability and SSDI.) For me, that will happen in about 5 years, when I turn 61.

When I turn 65 (or is it 66 or 67?), my monthly SSDI check will remain the same. But, it will come out of Social Security retirement funds instead of out of Social Security disability.

Temagami --
      It sounds like you've had a lengthy phone call and understand everything. I hope that you either have employer insurance (from a current employer from you or your husband). Or, that you have signed up for Medicare Part B. Otherwise, I would worry that you might be charged a penalty.
      Last edited by Mamabug; 11-09-2018, 11:59 AM. Reason: missed a word
      ~ Faith
      MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
      (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
      - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
      - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
      - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Working...
      X