Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Copaxone Health Insurance Coverage

Hello!

My mother was diagnosed with MS several years ago. After a great deal of trial and error with various medications, she was prescribed Copaxone. It was essentially a miracle drug for her completely halting the progression of the plaques on her brain. She has been on this medication for a couple of years now with my father's workplace health insurance program covering the vast majority of the costs associated with the treatments.

However, he has recently retired and his employer health insurance is now gone. So she is covered solely under SSDI and unfortunately, this results in an out of pocket cost of nearly $2,000 per month for her previously covered prescription. They are nowhere near capable of paying for this so she has halted treatment and a recent MRI has shown that the plaque has started progressing again.

I don't know all of the details with her insurance and doctors visits, but I'm just reaching out to any an all options to understand what might be available to her. It's devastating knowing that there is a completely effective drug out there that can extend her life and her quality of life, but is just not affordable for her.

Any guidance or suggestions would greatly appreciated!
    Thanks so much

Hi Timothy and welcome! Thank you for reaching out to us on behalf of your mom. There are financial assistance programs in place for all of the Drug Treatment plans. For Copaxone, please call this number:

Teva Shared Solutions (Copaxone): (800) 887-8100

Hope all is well with your mom and invite her to join our support group if she'd like. Sounds like you are a wonderful and supportive son!
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

If your mother has been receiving SSDI for more than 24 months she would be covered under Medicare. Prescription coverage is available under Medicare part D plans and under Medicare Advantage plans.

Open enrollment is going on now through December 15, so it would be wise to look into it.

Comment

Working...
      X