Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RE: DISABILTY vs MEDICARE

Hi,

I am in my 50's, when someone is on SSDI, does it switch over to Medicare at 65 y/o
    or do you continue to collect under SSDi?

When you reach full retirement age, your SSDI will transfer to SS benefits. But, unless you were born before 1937, full retirement could be at age 66 or 66+

Here is a link that explains this https://www.disabilitybenefitscenter...s-when-turn-65
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by cavan View Post
      Hi,

I am in my 50's, when someone is on SSDI, does it switch over to Medicare at 65 y/o
      SSDI and Medicare are two different things.

SSDI is the financial benefit when disabled from work. At 65, your benefit remains the same, but converts to social security benefits, no longer a disability benefit, so no further medical review needed.

Medicare is healthcare coverage. If on SSDI, it is provided at 29months from disability date. If not on disability, it is obtained at the age of 65. There area different parts, sone have a premium associated and the rule to obtaining coverage can be different.

Are you asking about any of the coverages on Medicare or strictly the SSDI benefit?
      Kathy
      DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Thank you Ladies for clearing things up.

Thank you Kathy & Sasha for your responses and clearing things up.

Comment

Originally posted by cavan View Post
          Hi,

When you turn 65, there are also some Medicare decisions that will be important to make.

I am currently receiving SSDI and have Medicare Part A (hospitalization). I am not required to enroll in Part B because I have insurance through my husband's employer.

I don't know specifics because I'm not 65 yet. But you'll need to enroll in Part B and D and look into Medicare supplemental plans at that point if you haven't already.
          ~ Faith
          MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
          (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
          - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
          - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
          - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Working...
          X