Using marijuana to treat MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using marijuana to treat MS

I am just asking if marijuana is used for more than MS pain an muscle spasticity.i got neither and anxiety of the whole ordeal has subsided but still lingers everyday a little (learning to live well with MS)

my question is: is there any benefit for a MS patient, Newly diagnosed with RRMS newly dx (2017 sept.) hardly any sx from awful dx relapse (recoverd to near normal approx. %96)besides the lingering anxiety that creeps up on me here and there but outta a wheelchair (needed one at dx for an afternoon or two)?

you must all know my story I’m always asking questions still, now that marijuana is legal in Canada is it even beneficial to me?

Originally posted by Ant1981 View Post
    you must all know my story I’m always asking questions still, now that marijuana is legal in Canada is it even beneficial to me?
    In my experience, CBD does... and it might need a little THC to really get it "kicked in". Aside from MS, it also has some benefits with anxiety and depression.

As far as recreational use, you're lucky you're in Canada. It's better for you than alcohol in my opinion. *shrug*

Comment

Originally posted by headrift View Post
      In my experience, CBD does... and it might need a little THC to really get it "kicked in". Aside from MS, it also has some benefits with anxiety and depression.

As far as recreational use, you're lucky you're in Canada. It's better for you than alcohol in my opinion. *shrug*
      thanks head, I read that there are neuroprotective properties as well associated with marijuana.

I really haven’t talked to my neuro about it yet.

Comment

Mood enhancer

It sure helps with the mood and pain!Wouldnt it be great if it cured ms

Comment

thanks head, I read that there are neuroprotective properties as well associated with marijuana.

I really haven’t talked to my neuro about it yet.
          There was a study in mice presented at this year's ECTRIMS which apparently indicated that THC in large doses may have neuro protective properties. Unfortunately, at the those doses, you would be so stupified that it really wouldn't matter.

Now that it is legal in Canada, I hope there will finally be more study done on the safety profile of various cannabinoids. I would be more inclined to use them if I was certain that they wouldn't do more harm to my already damaged brain.

Comment

Originally posted by Badaimata View Post
            There was a study in mice presented at this year's ECTRIMS which apparently indicated that THC in large doses may have neuro protective properties. Unfortunately, at the those doses, you would be so stupified that it really wouldn't matter.

Now that it is legal in Canada, I hope there will finally be more study done on the safety profile of various cannabinoids. I would be more inclined to use them if I was certain that they wouldn't do more harm to my already damaged brain.
            BTW, did you know that the US government (specifically the NIH) holds the patent on many of the non-psychoactive cannabinoid compounds found in marijuana? GOOGLE IT.

Comment

Nothing wrong with trying it tyo see how you feel. Just dont go overboard.
              The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

Since you've mentioned some depression in another thread, maybe talk to your doctor about how to use the cannabinoids. Something that gets you high might (lots of THC) might be less useful than a daily dose of CBD with low THC. I have experienced good results reducing neuritis pain using high dose CBD/very low dose THC which basically just relaxes me. It's a drug, so best to talk to a doctor IMO.
                All the best, ~G

Comment

Hi Guys, I have talked to my neurologist about the benefits of this and he said if it doesn't have the "THC" it won't help, he said he believed it would help me bit Im not ready to stop driving yet, and the medical marijuana doesn't contain it but it wouldn't help me.
                  Craig

Comment

Originally posted by dastardly View Post
                    Hi Guys, I have talked to my neurologist about the benefits of this and he said if it doesn't have the "THC" it won't help, he said he believed it would help me bit Im not ready to stop driving yet, and the medical marijuana doesn't contain it but it wouldn't help me.
                    Craig
                    "Scientists have discovered some evidence suggesting that cannabis-derived cannabinoids, including CBD and THC, are most effective when they’re able to interact with your body as a group, along with all of the plant’s natural compounds."

No doubt there are more serious studies in the works. I found this interesting chart on the page of a vendor (YMMV) and the font is kind of hard to read but it's informative:

https://www.terravidahc.com/blog-1/2...ing-cbd-vs-thc
                    All the best, ~G

Comment

Although I know many report it is helpful for mood symptoms the research I have read about cannabis in general and the lack of FDA approval for mental health diagnosis makes me think it should be considered very cautiously and can be detrimental in many instances. If I recall OP has a substance abuse history which is another issue to consider in my opinion.

There are many FDA approved medications for anxiety such as SSRIs and SNRIs with robust data and therapy can also be a good augmenting strategy. I'm in no way discounting the discomfort and how debilitating anxiety can be for some but in general I feel society now has a very low frustration tolerance and is avoidant of anything that isn't a quick fix. Although there is a large biologic component to most anxiety disorders non-pharmacologic strategies such as coping skills that can be learned in therapy is where the real growth occurs in my opinion.
                      He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
                      Anonymous

Comment

I tried it after dx. It mostly to depress my CNS because overstimulation means less sleep and worse symptoms. All I got were hallucinations and ankiety. No good for me.

Comment

You don't have to have a high ratio of THC for cannibanoids to work. I use 30:1 CBD to THC. I get no psychoactive effects but my neuritis pain does get some relief. YMMV. TALK TO YOUR DOCTOR
                          All the best, ~G

Comment

[...] besides the lingering anxiety that creeps up on me here and there but outta a wheelchair (needed one at dx for an afternoon or two)?

I know folks who prefer a toke an hour or two before bed as a mind & body relaxer and general sleep aid over anything rx...
                            1st sx 11/26/09; Copaxone from 12/1/11 to 7/13/18
                            NOT ALL SX ARE MS!

Comment

Working...
                            X