Scary memory thingy just happened

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scary memory thingy just happened

Hello, I went to the store today to get birthday stuff for my son. When I was done, I went out front to get an uber to take me home and I could not remember my address! I knew it had 1's and 3's in it but I couldn't remember the order of the numbers. This went on for a few minutes until I remembered the uber ap has a list of the addresses you've used before. I seriously was terrified that I was stranded and wouldn't be able to ask for help if I didn't even know my address. Has anything this terrifying ever happened to anyone?
    Luckily, I have an MRI of my brain scheduled for Nov. 12th. Maybe I'll get some answers then

I have the occasional failure to retrieve some everyday item of information, like my phone number. Then when I realize I can’t remember it, stress takes over and it really slips out of reach.

Comment

Yes don’t stress over drawing a blank every now and then. At least you were creative enough to figure it out. I think everyone does that. it’s just for us we’re afraid it’s because of the MS. When in fact I think everybody does it. They just don’t say,their too embarrassed
      It was one agains't 2.5million toughest one we ever fought.

Comment

Yes this happens to me all the time.It has my wife doing phone business I’m afraid I’ll forget information.

Comment

Yes, yes, yes! My biggest issues are with my cognition and specifically word and fact recall.
          I know how scary it can feel to know that you know something, but you just can’t quite put it together.
          “I’m pretty and tough, like a diamond. Or beef jerky in a ball gown.” - Titus Andromedon

Comment

Yes, I had one so bad it put me in the hospital. When it finally got so bad I had to go I didn't know my own name.... I knew the first, the middle but not the last. Funny because I've been married twice and twice changed my last name, my first marriage was 12 years and my second, although only for 8 years, we've been together for 20 years. I haven't used my maiden name since I was 20 and I'm 53. There were other memory things happening but that's the one that really sticks out.

It happened again but this time I was putting (are you ready????) butter in the kettle. I had handfuls of butter, putting them in the kettle. Then I was washing the counter with a potato. I don't remember doing any of this. My daughter called 911!!!

We laugh about it now but the brain is a pretty scary organ.

Jen
            RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
            "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Cat Mom

Oh wow Jen I am sorry you had that experience, how scary. Was it determined to be caused by MS or something else?

I had really scary memory issues quite some years back. There was a concern I had Dementia/Alzheimer's. I was getting lost in familiar places, mid-sentence I would not be able to remember what I was saying or forget words to the point I could not continue the conversation, the only thing I could do was cry out of frustration. Ultimately, it was determined to be due to a medication I was on (low dose Statin). I stopped that medication cold turkey.

I did have a NeuroPsych evaluation/testing and it came back pretty decent except for having "glitches" (I go blank) which is believed to have a few different causes.
              Diagnosed 1984
              “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Kinda scary

I got dx over a year ago (sept. 2017) but never experienced cognitive issues like you described. I always view forget stuff lost phone, keys, headphones, pencils, pens but I chalked it up to normal forgetfulness, never really thought it could be MS to blame.

my main fear and dx experiences were motor and mobility capacity but thankfully I recovered and running, biking (tho I can’t compete in intense competition sports like I used to)
                Last edited by KoKo; 11-03-2018, 07:41 AM. Reason: changed 's***' to 'stuff'

Comment

Lundngurl,

Sorry to hear. I know how disconcerting that is

What is now believed to be part of my first or second flare had a cognitive part. I want to use the rest room at work, and apparently stopped to ask our secretary where it was at! I wasn't sure where I was (had been in that job and location for 4 years). They tested me for stroke, seizures, etc... Within a week, I had vertigo and optic neuritis

I have struggled before with my phone number, and even location. Thankfully, few and far between though. It is upsetting. But try not to stress too much about it. It will only make it worse. Easier said than done.

Let us know how things go.
                  Kathy
                  DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

This has become a serious issue for me in the past 6 months. I have not forgotten my address, well I really don't go anywhere by myself, but as far as names of my pets, children, grandchildren even hubby some times it's just not there. I'll say some random name and whomever I'm speaking with will say who's that. Memory (cog) issues are becoming my main problem right now.
                    DIAGNOSED=2012
                    ISSUES LONG BEFORE
                    REBIF 1 YEAR

Comment

Originally posted by SNOOPY View Post
                      Oh wow Jen I am sorry you had that experience, how scary. Was it determined to be caused by MS or something else?
                      They said it was MS related but who knows, they just couldn't find any other reason although they didn't look too hard once they determined I hadn't had a stroke.

On a positive note, it got me to quit smoking (no, I didn't forget I smoked). My adult children were visiting me in emerg and I could see their eyes all red and baggy from worry and all I could think of was, "oh no, what if I were in the lung cancer ward and I did this to myself". That was it!

Jen
                      RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
                      "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Working...
                      X