Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Throat Tingling and Numbness

Hello everyone
    I want to know if someone has any experience with the symptom mentioned in the title. I've tried doing several searches on the internet, and to my surprise, it's barely mentioned anywhere (there's a lot about paresthesia on the arms and legs and sometimes the face, mouth and tongue, but found almost no results for throat paresthesia in particular). Please bear with me, as I want to be as detailed as possible.

The tingling started 4-5 years ago on my left side, happening very sporadically, and the numbness has been getting progressively worse since around june of the past year. The symptom goes like this: I feel the tingling on a certain part of my throat, sometimes it feels like it's burning, sometimes it's feels roughly like an electric shock, and a day or two after that sensation, the part of my throat where I felt it goes numb. This sensation is always painless. It started happening only on the left side of my throat, beginning from the upper side close to the mouth, and it has slowly moved downwards until reaching around my larynx, where surprisingly it suddenly stopped progressing altogether (the voice coming from the left side of my throat is slightly raspy when I try to talk quietly and without whispering, but it's barely an issue). Weirdly enough, as soon as it got there, it started happening on my right side, progressing exactly in the same manner; this started about 5 months ago. This symptom doesn't seem to ever improve, not even temporarily.
    Besides that, I've woken up to an intense pain around my left shoulder once. This is the only other thing that's happened to me besides the numbness on my throat and I don't know what to make of it. I don't have any other symptoms.

On swallowing, liquids give me some trouble. I clear my throat very often while eating (though it feels like it doesn't help at all) and at night falling asleep is uncomfortable as I feel my saliva pooling up in my throat. Again, it feels worse on my left side than my right. When attempting to swallow, it feels like there isn't any motion on the left side of my pharynx. However, I still eat more or less normally through the right side.

My otorrinolaryngologist says he sees nothing wrong with my vocal cords, which I pretty much agree with just based on how I feel, and has scheduled a swallowing test to see if there's any aspiration. I'll see a neurologist on december. I had a cervical MRI done and they found nothing to note, although the report doesn't mention anything about the nerves on that area, but I don't really know anything about how it works so I've been taking that diagnosis at face value.

If someone has even an idea of what this could be related to, it'd be much appreciated.

Originally posted by Nav11 View Post
    I had a cervical MRI done and they found nothing to note, although the report doesn't mention anything about the nerves on that area, but I don't really know anything about how it works so I've been taking that diagnosis at face value.
    Hi Nav11 ~

I don't have any idea what could be causing your swallowing problems, but swallowing is a function controlled by cranial nerves (mostly by the Glossopharyngeal Nerve and Vagus Nerve).

You will probably get more info at your neurologist appointment in December.

Good luck, and let us know what you find out.

Take Care
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Originally posted by KoKo View Post
      Hi Nav11 ~

I don't have any idea what could be causing your swallowing problems, but swallowing is a function controlled by cranial nerves (mostly by the Glossopharyngeal Nerve and Vagus Nerve).

Take Care
      I'd agree with KoKo,

I have glossopharyngeal neuralgia...which can give the tingling, numbish, burning pain
      (also the sharp shooting pain in the pharyngeal area), but I only have one side of my tongue affected. I've had it for many years. I also
      have atrophy in my tongue on that side. All of this has been related to a lesion I have in
      the brainstem that deals with cranial nerve issues.

Comment

Originally posted by KoKo View Post
        Hi Nav11 ~

Take Care
        Thanks for your support. I'll get back with whatever information I get from my appointment.

Originally posted by rdmc View Post
        I'd agree with KoKo,

I have glossopharyngeal neuralgia...which can give the tingling, numbish, burning pain
        (also the sharp shooting pain in the pharyngeal area), but I only have one side of my tongue affected. I've had it for many years. I also
        have atrophy in my tongue on that side. All of this has been related to a lesion I have in
        the brainstem that deals with cranial nerve issues.
        Thanks for sharing your experience, I've been completely clueless about my symptoms for a long time and just having an idea of what's happening gives me some peace of mind.

Have a good day, and thanks again to both of you for going through my post.

Comment

Working...
        X