No announcement yet.

Depression versus the blues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh and I forgot to mention as soon as they switch back from this crazy daylight savings time I’m sure everyone will feel better.
    It was one agains't 2.5million toughest one we ever fought.

Comment

Originally posted by Carlyle View Post
      Hope you feel better soon.Sunlight makes me feel better.Dave
      Even if I'm stuck inside just knowing it is sunny outside makes my mood better. The shorter days reduce my energy also. When its dark at 6pm I'm ready for my jammies.

I know a few people who use the light boxes for seasonal depressive symptoms and swear by it.
      He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
      Anonymous

Comment

Light box

On clouded days I have a light box.They do work,15 min,does the trick!

Comment

It's been raining hard for days now and I feel blah...not depressed nor the blues, just really blah.

I slept for 11 hours last night. Thanks for mentioning the light box as I have one too and have to remember to turn it on. I suffer from SAD too.
          1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
          Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by trevvian View Post
            I have suffered from debilitating depression in the past. My thought is that the blues usually feel sad or listless, depression feel hopeless.

When I'm down, I can take the advice above to do something fun and once I get to doing it, I do enjoy it, even if less so than normal. When I'm really depressed, I either can't summon the will to try something fun, I can't remember EVER having HAD fun, or I try it and I spend the time crying and wishing I hadn't tried to enjoy anything because life is all a waste of time anyway, so there!

I'd go to the doctor if I felt like that again or if the blues became a dark threatening cloud that frightened me. But I do think it's worth trying other things first! Namely sleep and self-care and a bit of exercise. Walking or moving boosts endorphins and that may help.

You can also Google PHQ9, which is the same questionnaire your doctor will probably do, just to see what your score is before you go. (The one thing that sucks about it is that symptoms like fatigue overlap with MS... so...)
            Mods, this is one of the most succinct, relatable descriptions I've seen of depression. Might be worth making into a sticky?
            He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
            Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by Jules A View Post
              Mods, this is one of the most succinct, relatable descriptions I've seen of depression. Might be worth making into a sticky?
              Here is the DSM5 criteria to make it even more official.

The DSM-5 outlines the following criterion to make a diagnosis of depression. The individual must be experiencing five or more symptoms during the same 2-week period and at least one of the symptoms should be either (1) depressed mood or (2) loss of interest or pleasure.

1. Depressed mood most of the day, nearly every day.
              2. Markedly diminished interest or pleasure in all, or almost all, activities most of the day, nearly every day.
              3. Significant weight loss when not dieting or weight gain, or decrease or increase in appetite nearly every day.
              4. A slowing down of thought and a reduction of physical movement (observable by others, not merely subjective feelings of restlessness or being slowed down).
              5. Fatigue or loss of energy nearly every day.
              6. Feelings of worthlessness or excessive or inappropriate guilt nearly every day.
              7. Diminished ability to think or concentrate, or indecisiveness, nearly every day.
              8. Recurrent thoughts of death, recurrent suicidal ideation without a specific plan, or a suicide attempt or a specific plan for committing suicide.

To receive a diagnosis of depression, these symptoms must cause the individual clinically significant distress or impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning. The symptoms must also not be a result of substance abuse or another medical condition.

https://www.psycom.net/depression-de...stic-criteria/
              Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by Jules A View Post
                Here is the DSM5 criteria to make it even more official.

The DSM-5 outlines the following criterion to make a diagnosis of depression. The individual must be experiencing five or more symptoms during the same 2-week period and at least one of the symptoms should be either (1) depressed mood or (2) loss of interest or pleasure.

1. Depressed mood most of the day, nearly every day.
                2. Markedly diminished interest or pleasure in all, or almost all, activities most of the day, nearly every day.
                3. Significant weight loss when not dieting or weight gain, or decrease or increase in appetite nearly every day.
                4. A slowing down of thought and a reduction of physical movement (observable by others, not merely subjective feelings of restlessness or being slowed down).
                5. Fatigue or loss of energy nearly every day.
                6. Feelings of worthlessness or excessive or inappropriate guilt nearly every day.
                7. Diminished ability to think or concentrate, or indecisiveness, nearly every day.
                8. Recurrent thoughts of death, recurrent suicidal ideation without a specific plan, or a suicide attempt or a specific plan for committing suicide.

To receive a diagnosis of depression, these symptoms must cause the individual clinically significant distress or impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning. The symptoms must also not be a result of substance abuse or another medical condition.

https://www.psycom.net/depression-de...stic-criteria/
                Thank you Jules! A sticky of this info is a great idea.

Take Care
                PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
                ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Thanks Jules - A sticky about depression can be found in the MS Symptoms and Treatment Forum https://www.msworld.org/forum/showth...ostic-Criteria

Also in this Forum is a sticky about suicide prevention hotlines for the US and also for Canada. https://www.msworld.org/forum/showth...ntion-Lifeline
                  1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                  Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
                    Thanks Jules - A sticky about depression can be found in the MS Symptoms and Treatment Forum https://www.msworld.org/forum/showth...ostic-Criteria

Also in this Forum is a sticky about suicide prevention hotlines for the US and also for Canada. https://www.msworld.org/forum/showth...ntion-Lifeline
                    Thank you Seasha ~ nice job getting that valuable info posted as stickies!

Take Care
                    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
                    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Originally posted by trevvian View Post
                      My thought is that the blues usually feel sad or listless, depression feel hopeless.
                      This is the best gage/guide for the blues vs. depression I've ever seen, it's so simple but extremely powerful too. Thank you for posting this, it will stay with me and guide me through life.

Jen
                      RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
                      "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Originally posted by Cat Mom View Post
                        This is the best gage/guide for the blues vs. depression I've ever seen, it's so simple but extremely powerful too. Thank you for posting this, it will stay with me and guide me through life.

Jen
                        Definitely true. I realize now, thankfully, just the blues.
                        Kathy
                        DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

I’m sorry Pennstater to hear you’re down.
                          I have been there couple times recently . each time lasted months 😞

My neuro recommended me to take herbal supplement “ St. Johns Wart “ before adding another med.

I’m taking 1x500mg capsule daily. I’m so happy with it. It’s a natural remedy for mood support.

I hope you feel better soon.

Comment

Working...
                          X