Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Depression versus the blues

Hi all,

I have had depression twice, both diagnosed as situational that resolved in time. The first was diagnosis, the second, when I stopped working. Both times, on an antidepressant and went to therapy. I was weaned off meds after the psychiatrist, psychologist, and I all thought ready.

The last two weeks, I have been a little down. I know the rain hasn't helped. It is also a rougher week, with the anniversary of my father's death and my late Mom's birthday. I am also fighting off a cold and feeling a little overwhelmed with things on my to do list.

I don't want to wait too long if it is depression, both times before - I was crying alot, not sleeping, and trouble functioning. I am not there but don't want to go there either.

How do you know when depression is taking hold versus just a little blue period? I haven't had a trigger like before, but also know depression is common with MS.

Any insight really appreciated.
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

I wonder if the shorter daylight hours are a factor. Once we shift to Daylight Savings see how that effects your mood and sleep.

Comment

Originally posted by pennstater View Post
      The last two weeks, I have been a little down. I know the rain hasn't helped. It is also a rougher week, with the anniversary of my father's death and my late Mom's birthday. I am also fighting off a cold and feeling a little overwhelmed with things on my to do list.
      If you don't have a history remarkable for suicidal thoughts, your sleep is reasonable and you aren't feeling suicidal or passively suicidal I would probably hold out hope for another few days that this is situational. You have listed several significant psychosocial stressors that could cause the blues.

In the meantime when your cold lets up a bit I would force yourself to do a couple of things you used to enjoy to get out of the rut, if in fact that is all this is. If that doesn't work I wouldn't wait to seek treatment and of course immediately seek emergency evaluation if you are feeling suicidal.

I hope you feel better soon!
      He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
      Anonymous

Comment

Thanks. Just to reassure, no suicidal thoughts, just not myself.
        Kathy

Comment

Depression can be a real monster. A few "blue" bits can be expected, especially at this time of year, but don't be afraid of the meds for depression. If it's around to stay, well... not taking a med for depression because you think you'll get better is about like stopping a DMD because you think your MS will get better.

My outlook might be a little slanted, but I'm all for taking meds you need.

Comment

Originally posted by pennstater View Post
            Thanks. Just to reassure, no suicidal thoughts, just not myself.
            Excellent news, I hope you post soon that you are back to baseline.
            He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
            Anonymous

Comment

Sorry I didn’t have advice...

but I do hope you feel better soon.

Comment

I'm a big believer that, sometimes meds are necessary. But I also believe that, often, meds are Rx when unnecessary.

I'd suggest holding out for awhile and trying some non- pharmaceutical techniques first.

Try sunshine, walking, going to your "happy place", adding some social time to your day, writing in our gratitude journal in the Wellness Forum", yoga, meditation, listening to calming instrumental music, etc.

Google "resiliency strategies" and look for other suggestions about natural ways to combat "the blues" or prevent depression. Consider daily "power poses". You can Google those too. There is a TED Talk about them. Add positive affirmations to them

Find ideas that appeal to you. Keep a list of the strategies you decide to try. Add multiple resilience strategies to each day. Some might take 5 or 10 minutes. Others can be less. Throw one in to your day whenever the sadness or stress creeps in. If you have a list, it will be easier to squeeze one in.

But, yeah. What starts out as "the blues" can progress to a depression. If natural strategies don't work, consider meda. But I wouldn't start with that.
                ~ Faith
                MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

I am so sorry you are feeling down. You certainly have enough going on to cause the blues.

You have been given a lot of good advice and I hope you feel better soon pennstater.
                  God Bless Us All

Comment

Hope you feel better Pennstater! I know when it rains on end, I feel blue - just last month the anniversary of my mom's passing along with some drenching rain made me want to curl up in a ball in a dark closet and I just wanted to world go away for awhile.

JMHO, I feel we are entitled to feel the blues on occasion. We are human being on this difficult path called life and sometimes it's just plain crappy!

If you find, after your cold leaves, the sun comes back out after all the rain and you are past your overwhelming to-do-list that you're still deep in sadness, you might want to revisit your therapist.

I like the idea of mamabug's "happy place" if you can find it right now. You have a lot going on situational wise and I hope you remember to take deep breaths and keep up on that gratitude journal of yours!

I send you gentle hugs and best wishes
                    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

I am so sorry you are feeling down. You certainly have enough going on to cause the blues.

You have been given a lot of good advice and I hope you feel better soon pennstater.
                      God Bless Us All

Comment

I have suffered from debilitating depression in the past. My thought is that the blues usually feel sad or listless, depression feel hopeless.

When I'm down, I can take the advice above to do something fun and once I get to doing it, I do enjoy it, even if less so than normal. When I'm really depressed, I either can't summon the will to try something fun, I can't remember EVER having HAD fun, or I try it and I spend the time crying and wishing I hadn't tried to enjoy anything because life is all a waste of time anyway, so there!

I'd go to the doctor if I felt like that again or if the blues became a dark threatening cloud that frightened me. But I do think it's worth trying other things first! Namely sleep and self-care and a bit of exercise. Walking or moving boosts endorphins and that may help.

You can also Google PHQ9, which is the same questionnaire your doctor will probably do, just to see what your score is before you go. (The one thing that sucks about it is that symptoms like fatigue overlap with MS... so...)

Comment

Thanks everyone. Lots of good advice. It helped reinforce my thoughts on knowing the difference between the two. I have been out walking in the sun and sat out on the porch,ctaking advantage of 65 and sunny!

I happened to have my PCP OV today, so we discussed used, he thinks just the blues. He also reminded me I should have started my light therapy mid-September. I do suffer from SAD.

So I will keep an eye on it.

Appreciate all the help and kind words.
                          Kathy

Comment

The weather has really been almost poison for about a month. I’m from a small rural coastal area and I think six people have died here in the last few weeks. And that was quite a full moon cycle that just got over with too. Some days I don’t know how things could be worse and most days I’m grateful that their not. Makes it harder with the old dark MS cloud following you around wherever you go. I can see I’m no advise LOL. I just like to blame everything on everything but me LOL.
                            Hoping you make it through the worst. All the best.
                            It was one agains't 2.5million toughest one we ever fought.

Comment

Hope you feel better soon.Sunlight makes me feel better.Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X