Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RF factor and MS

Hello,

I have many, many symptoms of MS and definitely have some sort of auto-immune disorder per my pcp. I am wondering if anyone knows if the blood test for RF factor has anything to do with MS? Normal is 0-14 and mine is 26. I do not have a diagnosis yet but I am leaning towards MS.

Thank you

Hi Lundungurl and welcome to MSWorld.

There is no blood test for Multiple Sclerosis. Blood work is for ruling in/out other conditions. My limited knowledge of the RF Factor is a Rheumatology blood test, but I could be wrong.

Take care!
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Thanks Snoopy for the input! I did see a Rheumatologist and she found no evidence of RA. I think my Dr. said that elevated RF can be the sign of an autoimmune disease which she diagnosed me as having. The trouble is that there are so many different auto-immune diseases, she doesn't know which one I have. I have seen 3 neurologists as well. I thought I read somewhere that the RF factor is somewhat similar (the serum form) to the CSF spinal tap.

I am getting very discouraged because I have had symptoms for over 5 years now. 2 EMG/nerve conduction studies both come back normal. I just had a flare up due to the common cold that put me in bed for a week and a half and I'm still suffering from that.

Thanks

Comment

Lundungurl,

There is a diagnostic criteria for Multiple Sclerosis, The Revised McDonald Criteria.

The only thing important in the CSF for MS is oligoclonal bands.

I'm sorry but your RF Factor results will not point anyone to MS as a possible cause. You would need to go through the diagnostic process of ruling out all other possibilities for you symptoms. And testing which might indicate MS, if they come back positive.

Information about diagnosing MS and other conditions to rule out:
        https://www.nationalmssociety.org/Sy.../Diagnosing-MS
        https://www.nationalmssociety.org/Sy...ns-to-Rule-Out
        Diagnosed 1984
        “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Working...
        X