Is this part of the cog fog?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this part of the cog fog?

I used to have an amazing memory. These days I am having trouble remembering recent things. I can remember things from a long time ago but ppl I meet or things I say or things that are said to me goes in and out immediately.

The other thing is reading and writing issues. I put words in places they don't belong. I add words that are not supposed to be there. Trying to get this to make sense is very difficult.

Lastly when speaking I do the same thing. I put words in where it makes no sense at all. Ex if I'm talking about a dog I may say whale or not even an animal.
    I don't know and dont understand. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Ppl are always asking me "what are you trying to say" very embarrassing.
    DIAGNOSED=2012
    ISSUES LONG BEFORE
    REBIF 1 YEAR

I blame it on cog fog when I "lose words". Like I couldn't remember "expatriate" yesterday when I tried. I eventually gave up on it and it came back to me, but this happened a lot over the years. Another "invisible symptom"... best I can recommend is that when you can't think of a word you know you know, quit thinking about it. Don't fight for it and think about something else for a while. It'll come back.

I'm not sure how to do that in the middle of a sentence while speaking, though. Best I can do is play it off.

Comment

I experience the same exact issues you described.

I can no longer read a book as I forget what I read from day to day and it made no sense for me to keep picking up the same book and having to start over again and again....and again.

I'm sure people are wondering sometimes, I know I often find myself in the middle of a conversations wondering, "what the hell am I talking about anyway?"
      The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

Originally posted by headrift View Post
        I blame it on cog fog when I "lose words". Like I couldn't remember "expatriate" yesterday when I tried. I eventually gave up on it and it came back to me, but this happened a lot over the years. Another "invisible symptom"... best I can recommend is that when you can't think of a word you know you know, quit thinking about it. Don't fight for it and think about something else for a while. It'll come back.

I'm not sure how to do that in the middle of a sentence while speaking, though. Best I can do is play it off.

I lose words in a normal conversation. Some people have learned to "read" me.
        Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

It may or may not be. There are different parts to memory. In order to recall either recent or longer term memory, it first has to be committed to memory.

So if focus is an issue, it could be that you were not in the moment enough for it to truly form a memory.

The other problem could be in accessing the memory, even if it did commit to memory.

If you haven't, discuss with your neuro. You may want to get neuropsych testing, if only for a baseline.

When I am fatigued or overheated or overwhelmed by noise, these symptoms become exaggerated for me. I can lose my train of thought in the middle of a sentence - really embarrassing. I have also swapped words out.
          Kathy
          DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Originally posted by pennstater View Post
            It may or may not be. There are different parts to memory. In order to recall either recent or longer term memory, it first has to be committed to memory.

So if focus is an issue, it could be that you were not in the moment enough for it to truly form a memory.

The other problem could be in accessing the memory, even if it did commit to memory.

If you haven't, discuss with your neuro. You may want to get neuropsych testing, if only for a baseline.

When I am fatigued or overheated or overwhelmed by noise, these symptoms become exaggerated for me. I can lose my train of thought in the middle of a sentence - really embarrassing. I have also swapped words out.
            Thanks good info.
            DIAGNOSED=2012
            ISSUES LONG BEFORE
            REBIF 1 YEAR

Comment

Originally posted by marti View Post
              I lose words in a normal conversation. Some people have learned to "read" me.
              I'm like Marti.

Some folks "get" what I'm saying even though I can't get the words out.

To the others, I have to resort to charades

Strangest cognitive issue I've had is when I could write a word on a pad (it started with a password I was trying to enter my computer) but could not type the word into the computer in the right order or letters.

Each try I'd get wrong. I work at a computer
              all day, and I had to take a break till it resolved. I'm SPMS, but Neuro thought it was a sort of acute exacerbation involving the typing issue and a worse than usual word recall issue. I had had a respiratory virus that I had been hospitalized for and that preceded the
              word to computer episode by about a month. I don't do steroids, and fortunately the typing thing resolved in a few weeks, the words returned to "it's normal" within a month...this disease can be so weird.

Comment

I can certainly relate. Trying to read a book is rough. Trying to communicate is rough. Often times I will write or type a word and the spelling will not look rt. Words I have been spelling for years. I will finally look it up and it will be rt. and when I go back and look later, the word looks rt.(weird)
                God Bless Us All

Comment

Working...
                X