MS and Anxiety Attacks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS and Anxiety Attacks

I went for my Tysabri infusion on Friday and i let my neurologist know that i've had a lot heart fluttering paired with extreme tiredness for the week prior. Going through some questions it seems i may be having anxiety attacks even though i don't feel anxious. The neuro did suggest i go to my PCP to eliminate some stuff.
    I have history of anxiety and depression and i took medication for this for a few years.
    My question is, any one else with this? Any one have anxiety attacks? Or the heart fluttering?
    Anyone on anti-anxiety medication while going through treatment?
    Trying to weigh some options out and as much as i don't want anymore medication in my body, i'm sick of the heart fluttering.
    Dx March 2018; possible first episode: August 2011
    Tysabri May 2018-June 2019, Mayzent July 2019

Start with your PCP

"The neuro did suggest i go to my PCP to eliminate some stuff."

When was your last visit to your PCP?

Tysabri can be some heavy hitting stuff. For me it caused UTI's --faithfully after every infusion!

On another note, I also had high blood pressure. My physician noticed the elevated heart rate & prescribed metoprolol which slowed the heart rate.

Start with your PCP to eliminate any possible underlying conditions.

-Jackie-

Comment

My last PCP visit was July of this year. I do have one scheduled in December as i go every few months for my Thyroid. I was hoping to wait until December as i already feel like i miss a lot of work with appts, infusions, etc. But if it keeps being consistent then i'll definitely move up my appt. One thing after another!
      Thankfully the blood pressure has been good. I do have some life stress's going on non-medical but nothing i feel anxious over. I just want to close my eyes and it all go away.
      Thank you!

Comment

I read this on www.calmclinic.com a long time ago.

Multiple sclerosis can cause anxiety within the brain itself. But the actual reason that MS tends to cause anxiety is simply because the disease is scary. It's not the fact that MS affects your brain that leads to anxiety. Many of those with MS have frightening symptoms and recurrent, relapsing, progressively worse MS. It's often not much more complicated than that.

That's something very important to keep in mind. Developing anxiety is normal with MS simply because MS is a frightening disease. Anxiety is a response to danger, and MS makes that anxiety warranted, which makes it harder to control.

However, MS can also cause anxiety and depression as a result of the illness itself. Anxiety inflames various parts of the brain, and when the brain experiences damage and stress, it's not uncommon for a person to experience anxiety. Depending on where the inflammation occurs, it may also provoke panic attacks as well. It's not entirely clear why the mind causes anxiety when it's experiencing problems, but it's been well established in the literature.

In addition, the symptoms of MS can be triggers for those that already have anxiety. Panic disorder is a great example. Many people with panic disorder have panic attacks as result of changes in their body's sensations, and MS can cause changes in sensations that trigger panic attacks. While MS isn't technically causing the panic attacks directly, it's creating an environment that makes them far more likely.
        Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

Five years ago, I was on Ativan for anxiety while also on Tysabri. It was probably only 3 months, as the anxiety was situational - once the situation went away, so did the anxiety. But you can take abymti-anxiety meds while on Tysabri.

I understand wanting to be on as fee meds as possible. But if you need it, you need it. Have you tried any non-medicinal approaches to help with anxiety?

Hope it resolves for you soon. Anxiety is no fun.
          Kathy
          DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Originally posted by marti View Post
            I read this on www.calmclinic.com a long time ago.

Multiple sclerosis can cause anxiety within the brain itself. But the actual reason that MS tends to cause anxiety is simply because the disease is scary. It's not the fact that MS affects your brain that leads to anxiety. Many of those with MS have frightening symptoms and recurrent, relapsing, progressively worse MS. It's often not much more complicated than that.

That's something very important to keep in mind. Developing anxiety is normal with MS simply because MS is a frightening disease. Anxiety is a response to danger, and MS makes that anxiety warranted, which makes it harder to control.

However, MS can also cause anxiety and depression as a result of the illness itself. Anxiety inflames various parts of the brain, and when the brain experiences damage and stress, it's not uncommon for a person to experience anxiety. Depending on where the inflammation occurs, it may also provoke panic attacks as well. It's not entirely clear why the mind causes anxiety when it's experiencing problems, but it's been well established in the literature.

In addition, the symptoms of MS can be triggers for those that already have anxiety. Panic disorder is a great example. Many people with panic disorder have panic attacks as result of changes in their body's sensations, and MS can cause changes in sensations that trigger panic attacks. While MS isn't technically causing the panic attacks directly, it's creating an environment that makes them far more likely.
            I agree with this analysis. I remember one of my first visits with my neurologist and him asking me about depression, in a kind of routine, robotic way, and I looked at him stunned and just blurted out, "of course I'm depressed-who could get diagnosed with MS and not be depressed?!" Well, I guess it isn't a "given" or doctors wouldn't ask us if we were depressed. I am throroughly impressed by MSers who stay positive and won't let the MonSter win. I try. It's hard.
            Tawanda

Comment

Originally posted by Tawanda View Post
              I agree with this analysis. I remember one of my first visits with my neurologist and him asking me about depression, in a kind of routine, robotic way, and I looked at him stunned and just blurted out, "of course I'm depressed-who could get diagnosed with MS and not be depressed?!" Well, I guess it isn't a "given" or doctors wouldn't ask us if we were depressed. I am throroughly impressed by MSers who stay positive and won't let the MonSter win. I try. It's hard.

That is how I have always answered the question if I have anxiety or depression since finding out I have this. It has actually got to the point to where I was going to ask them why they keep asking me since my situation with this disease isn't changing.

But I guess they do see people who are somehow able to stay positive. I really don't get it... but good for them.

Comment

Hi Jennaly16.

Originally posted by Jennaly16 View Post
                IGoing through some questions it seems i may be having anxiety attacks even though i don't feel anxious. The neuro did suggest i go to my PCP to eliminate some stuff.
                It's always best to make sure there isn't some other cause for what you are experiencing. Even if we have MS not everything is related to the disease.

Depression and anxiety/panic attacks is not uncommon for anyone who deals with a chronic disease. This can be situational or part of the disease process (location of brain lesions). If a person has dealt with depression and/or anxiety/panic attacks in the past it would be reasonable to assume that a diagnosis of MS could trigger it.

Regardless of the cause for depression, anxiety/panic attacks the treatment is the same ~ antidepressants and Psychotherapy.

Antidepressants can be taken with the DMTs, they are also used to treat some MS symptoms.

Tawanda:
                Well, I guess it isn't a "given" or doctors wouldn't ask us if we were depressed. I am throroughly impressed by MSers who stay positive and won't let the MonSter win.
                When I was diagnosed I was quite overwhelmed, shocked, and fearful. I was too young to have this disease, at least that's how I felt. I never dealt with depression or anxiety/panic after learning I had MS.

About 1994 I went to my Neurologist due to what I thought was a problem with MS. He looked me directly in the eye and told me I was dealing with depression. After being on an antidepressant and feeling better I assumed the depression was due directly to MS.

It was in 2004 when I sought help from a Psychiatrist that I came to learn my depression, suicidal thoughts, and anxiety/panic attacks off and on through the years was not due to this disease. My depression, suicidal thoughts, and anxiety/panic attacks had absolutely nothing to do with this disease.

So yes, not everyone with MS has depression due to this disease.
                Diagnosed 1984
                “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Thank you all for responding. For the most part i have been pretty positive about having MS. I look at it as an obstacle but not the end of the world. I've tried to remind myself that as much as it sucks, i could have it worse which helps. I also haven't done a ton of research as i want to stay as "normal" as possible. Fatigue is my biggest complaint but i just try to push through.

The anxiety is throwing me off only because when i start getting a fast heart rate and short of breath it is random. Not when i'm in a stressful situation or thinking of anything stressful. I could be watching tv and all of a sudden my heart rate is over a 100. Or in the middle of the night i wake up to feel like i ran a race. The occurrence has decreased but my apple watch starts notifying me i may take a few deep breaths which is when i notice my heart is going.
                  I'm going to try and wait until my PCP appt in December. I rather not go on anymore medications as i remember going on and off them before and it was hell. But if i need to then i definitely will.
                  I also did try a psychologist to try and confront the diagnosis before i do spiral in to depression. Needless to say i had to fire them. They didn't think it was important to be on time for my appointment. With already having infusions every 4 weeks and other dr appts in between, i didn't want to lose more time from work although work gave me the go ahead to do whatever i need. Definitely something i may revisit in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Jennaly16 View Post
                    Thank you all for responding. For the most part i have been pretty positive about having MS. I look at it as an obstacle but not the end of the world. I've tried to remind myself that as much as it sucks, i could have it worse which helps. I also haven't done a ton of research as i want to stay as "normal" as possible. Fatigue is my biggest complaint but i just try to push through.

The anxiety is throwing me off only because when i start getting a fast heart rate and short of breath it is random. Not when i'm in a stressful situation or thinking of anything stressful. I could be watching tv and all of a sudden my heart rate is over a 100. Or in the middle of the night i wake up to feel like i ran a race. The occurrence has decreased but my apple watch starts notifying me i may take a few deep breaths which is when i notice my heart is going.
                    I'm going to try and wait until my PCP appt in December. I rather not go on anymore medications as i remember going on and off them before and it was hell. But if i need to then i definitely will.
                    I also did try a psychologist to try and confront the diagnosis before i do spiral in to depression. Needless to say i had to fire them. They didn't think it was important to be on time for my appointment. With already having infusions every 4 weeks and other dr appts in between, i didn't want to lose more time from work although work gave me the go ahead to do whatever i need. Definitely something i may revisit in the future.

Totally understand. I can get palpitations and feel faint for absolutely no reason, doing nothing. Or it can come on me if I use my arms for any chore like... washing my hands, folding laundry... nothing exceptional. Just throws me into a panic attack. Half a Xanax takes care of it. I really believe this anxiety can be built in to the MS and other illnesses. I always wonder about POTS. Hope you chill out and feel better. It's the hardest thing to deal with!
                    Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

Working...
                    X