Food Tastes Weird

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Food Tastes Weird

For the second time my food tastes wrong. The first time it was Moms spaghetti. Today though is the worst, MY. COFFEE. DOESN'T. TASTE. LIKE. COFFEE. Ugh.

I'm devastated!! Lol.

Hi LibraAngel74 .

It's actually quite rare for MS to cause this. The most common causes are allergies, sinus problems, medications and colds/viruses.
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Taste disorder it's one of the rare sx of MS, LibraAngel74, but it does happen.

This article from Momentum magazine is from a couple years ago, but helpful anyway -

"In the study, published in the Journal of Neurology (January 2016), Dr. Doty’s team administered taste tests to 73 people with MS and 73 without MS. Participants received small drops of liquids—sweet, sour, bitter and salty—on their tongues and tried to identify the tastes. “We found deficits in all regions of the tongue,” Dr. Doty says. “About one-quarter of people with MS have a demonstrable detriment in identifying tastes.” Among participants with MS, the findings showed that about 15 percent exhibited a loss in bitter taste, 22 percent a loss in sour taste, 25 percent a loss in sweet taste, and 32 percent a loss in salty taste, compared with the controls.

Participants also underwent MRI brain scans. According to Dr. Doty, “With [loss of] taste, we found that it involves lesion volume—the size of lesions in the temporal and frontal lobes,” rather than the number of lesions, as observed with other senses, such as smell."

http://www.momentummagazineonline.co...-cardboard-ms/

This article gives some helpful suggestions - https://www.everydayhealth.com/multi...s-taste-smell/

I'd hate to have my coffee not taste like coffee!
      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Working...
      X