Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Blue Zones: Lessons for Living Longer From the People Who've Lived the Longest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Blue Zones: Lessons for Living Longer From the People Who've Lived the Longest

I haven't read the book. But, I've heard lots about it, and have read and listened to lots of information on the nine habits that contribute to long, healthy lives.

Here are the five areas of the world identified in the book: Okinawa, Japan; the Ogliastra region of Sardinia; Ikaria, Greece; Nicoya, Costa Rica; and Loma Linda, California. (Today, a community of about 9,000 Seventh Day Adventists in the Loma Linda area are the core of America's Blue Zone region.)

I'd recommend either reading the book, The Blue Zones, or googling or YouTube-ing info about it. It's fascinating, and many of these strategies aren't hard to put into practice. The author is Dan Buettner and he also has a few other Blue Zone books out.

9 Healthy Habits to Help You Live Longer and Happier Lives

1. They Incorporate Exercise Into Their Everyday Activities
    Physical activity is more about their natural surroundings rather than dedicated trips to the gym. They walk (or bike) to school, to work, to friends’ houses. They make bread from scratch. They garden. They keep moving as they get older.

2. They Eat Mostly Plants
    Fresh fruits, vegetables and whole grains make up the majority of their diet. Beans (legumes) and nuts are also a cornerstone. Canned vegetables are swapped for fresh peas, cucumbers, carrots, celery, black beans and more.

3. They Stop Eating Before They’re Full
    They push their plates away when they feel 80 percent full. The reason this aids longevity: when you stop eating after not feeling hungry, but before feeling full, it helps keep your waistline in check.

4. They Drink One to Two Glasses of Wine a Day
    Red wine in general has been shown to reduce the risk of heart disease, certain cancers and slow the progression of neurological disorders like Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s Disease, thanks to plant compounds and antioxidants. This all comes one obvious caveat: overindulging—more than one glass a day for women, and two for men—negates the positive effects.

5. They Mitigate Stress
    The root of nearly every disease is chronic inflammation and most of said chronic inflammation comes from intestinal inflammation that “results from eating lots of crap—but it can also come from the hurry and worry of everyday lives”, says the author. Centenarians have daily rituals that reverse this. Rituals like naps in Ikaria, happy hour in Sardinia and taking a moment to remember ancestors in Okinawa. Running is also said to decrease stress.

6. Their Life Has Purpose
    Knowing your sense of purpose is worth up to seven years of extra life expectancy. In Okinawa, it’s called “Ikigai” and in Nicoya, it’s “plan de vida.” Both translate roughly to: “why I wake up in the morning.”

7. They Belong to Tight-Knit Social Circles
    These social circles come in various shapes and sizes, but all provide camaraderie and kinship that supports healthy behaviors. The Okinawans form “moai” pods of five friends who commit to each other to life while the Ikarians build larger communities that socialize frequently.

8. They Are a Part of a Larger Faith-Based Community
    All but five of the 263 centenarians involved in the original Blue Zone studies belonged to some faith-based community. While the specific type of spirituality varied, the research is clear: attending faith-based services four times per month can add up to 14 years of life expectancy.

9. They Prioritize Family
    Being in a positive, committed relationship can add up to six years of life expectancy, and Blue Zone people go out of their way to cultivate deep relationships with their children as well as parents and grandparents. Their cultures value old age and aging family members are often cared for in their families’ homes.
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Well I think I have 3 out of 9....

My goal is 20,000 steps a day on the days I work and 14,000 on the days I don’t so I got number one covered. I am living off fruits and celery right now since anything else makes me sick… so I got number 2. (I think it is from stress). I am never hungry anymore so I guess I could say I have number 3 since I am trying out the fasting thing so I am actually never hungry anymore. I am probably taking it to an extreme, but I remember from last year when I was first diagnosed I went crazy with my eating and working out. Then I got lazy, but to be fair I was trying for 40,000 steps a day and that was exhausting

I do think some of these aren’t possible for everyone though - like being part of a faith based community. When you are an atheist there really isn't a faith based community for you. I am pretty close with my dad, but we don’t really talk as much anymore because he just gets sad when he hears about how I am feeling. I know I could always lie but that doesn’t feel right.

As much as I would LOVE to drink again I know myself and my good intention of 1 glass a day would quickly turn into a 2-3 bottle a night habit and that is no good for anyone. Do you know if a shot of hard liquor or a wine cooler would have the same effect? I can stop those after one for some reason, but wine and I just aren’t meant to be.

Comment

Daisycat -- I believe you are correct -- not all of these work for every person. At least not without modification.

I don't drink alcohol because my husband has strong religious objections to it. I don't share his beliefs but it would have been a "deal breaker". I decided that he was more important to me than alcohol and committed, many years ago, to abstain. I try, when I remember, to eat some red grapes daily. We do try to keep red grapes around. They are said to offer a similar health benefit.

And, for you as an atheist, I understand that there isn't a faith based community for you. I suspect that you could choose some purposeful causes where you share common values with others that are not based on faith or religion.

That might also be somewhat related to #6Purpose. But having a purpose doesn't necessarily include "community". If you share a relationship with others who share a common purpose and common values, that might provide a health benefit similar to belonging to a faith community.

So, sometimes, we might need to modify the strategies to fit our own lifestyle and choices.
      ~ Faith
      (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
      - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.

- Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

I think 5 and 6 are the ones I would need to work on the most. I am really hoping this vacation will help me to relax and de stress from everything. Hopefully working out more will help with the stress, not sure about number 6 though. One thing at I time I guess.

Comment

I live in a city that’s very, very close to Loma Linda and I cant say I’m surprised they’re on the list. SDA’s don’t partake in caffeine, nicotine, alcohol, eating meat, etc... You can’t even find a place that sells cigarettes or beer in that city! My sister and I discovered this the hard way after a very long, draining visit with my dad when he was hospitalized there.
          I think it also helps that the residents have access to Loma Linda University Medical Center and the specialty departments that come with it.
          “I’m pretty and tough, like a diamond. Or beef jerky in a ball gown.” - Titus Andromedon

Comment

Originally posted by IntoDust View Post
            I live in a city that’s very, very close to Loma Linda and I cant say I’m surprised they’re on the list. S.
            Interesting! My dad remarried after Mom passed. His wife is an SDA. She doesn't follow everything, such as the vegetarianism; she became a Christian and an SDA later on life, in her early 70's. Although she is a very healthy 85 year old now. She regularly takes the stairs instead of the elevator to her 5th floor apartment.
            Last edited by Mamabug; 10-13-2018, 07:43 PM.
            ~ Faith
            (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

Since I worked in the city next to Loma Linda, we had so many SDA patients. I noticed that our patients that were SDA or Mormon were some of the genuinely nicest people I’ve ever met.
              “I’m pretty and tough, like a diamond. Or beef jerky in a ball gown.” - Titus Andromedon

Comment

Cool!
                ~ Faith
                (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

Working...
                X