Siponimod Press Release

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Siponimod Press Release

"Siponimod is the first investigational medicine to show a significant delay in disability progression in typical SPMS patients," said Paul Hudson, Chief Executive Officer, Novartis Pharmaceuticals.

About Siponimod (BAF312)
    Siponimod is an investigational, selective modulator of specific subtypes of the sphingosine-1-phosphate (S1P) receptor[5]. Siponimod binds to the S1P1 sub-receptor on lymphocytes, which prevents them from entering the central nervous system (CNS) of patients with multiple sclerosis. This leads to the anti-inflammatory effects of siponimod.[1] Siponimod also enters the CNS and binds to the S1P5 sub-receptor on specific cells in the CNS (oligodendrocytes and astrocytes)[6]. By binding to these specific receptors, siponimod has the potential to modulate damaging cell activity, and preclinical studies suggest that it may prevent synaptic neurodegeneration and promote remyelination in the CNS[7].

Full press release is here:
    https://www.novartis.com/news/media-...-spms-patients

Thanks Marco! I will be watching for this to be approved.
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Thanks Marco. This is exciting. Will be following closely.
      Kathy
      DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Very informative ,as always.
        thanks Marco.

Comment

Because we don't have a button yet - "LIKE"

Comment

I will wait on this with those nasty side effects and hopefully a better drug
            DX 2017/Tecfidera/Ocrevus 2019

Comment

Very interesting, however I will wait until there are more clinical trials.
              Peace to all,
              LM
              RRMS 11/11/2005, SPMS 20011 (guess I 'graduated')

Comment

Working...
              X