Flu shot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flu shot

Hi everyone,it has been a really long time since I have posted but lot of MS people have been asking about the new Senior flu shot. This is what I have found that we should stay with the regular one. Comments will be very appreciated Thank you, I hope everyone has been well. Tortis
    Information about Specific Vaccines

2018-2019 Injectable Seasonal Flu Vaccine
    The composition of U.Sl influenza (flu) vaccines is reviewed annually by the Centers for Disease Control and updated to match circulating flu viruses.

The 2018-19 inactivated seasonal flu immunization is recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) for everyone over 6 months of age. The seasonal flu vaccine has been studied extensively in people with MS and is considered quite safe, regardless of the disease-modifying therapy they are taking. People with MS should use the inactivated flu vaccine and avoid the live, attenuated vaccine (nasal spray).
    A high-dose inactivated flu vaccine (Fluzone High-Dose) is available for people over age 65. The Centers for Disease Control does not specifically recommend the high-dose vaccine for people over age 65 and the high-dose vaccine has not been studied in people with MS of any age. For these reasons, the National MS Society continues to support influenza vaccination (flu shots) for people with MS but recommends that only the standard dose be used. If additional data for Fluzone High-Dose in MS patients become available, the recommendation may be revised.

To learn more about the 2018-2019 seasonal flu vaccine, please visit the CDC website.

Thanks tortis. Get mine on Monday.

Just found out last week, that with Tysabri, not supposed to get the flu shot the week before or after the infusion. I hadn't heard that. I could see for a live shot, but not the inactive flu shot. Oh well, guess will err on side of caustion.
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Originally posted by pennstater View Post
      Thanks tortis. Get mine on Monday.

Just found out last week, that with Tysabri, not supposed to get the flu shot the week before or after the infusion. I hadn't heard that. I could see for a live shot, but not the inactive flu shot. Oh well, guess will err on side of caustion.
      Where did you hear that? Does anyone else have any info about timing the flu shot with Tysabri?

Comment

I would actually recommend using caution either side of the stronger dmd's with any immunisations.
        Remember they are autoimmune depressants.

Comment

Originally posted by tortis View Post
          Hi everyone,it has been a really long time since I have posted but lot of MS people have been asking about the new Senior flu shot. This is what I have found that we should stay with the regular one. Comments will be very appreciated Thank you, I hope everyone has been well. Tortis
          Information about Specific Vaccines

2018-2019 Injectable Seasonal Flu Vaccine
          The composition of U.Sl influenza (flu) vaccines is reviewed annually by the Centers for Disease Control and updated to match circulating flu viruses.

The 2018-19 inactivated seasonal flu immunization is recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) for everyone over 6 months of age. The seasonal flu vaccine has been studied extensively in people with MS and is considered quite safe, regardless of the disease-modifying therapy they are taking. People with MS should use the inactivated flu vaccine and avoid the live, attenuated vaccine (nasal spray).
          A high-dose inactivated flu vaccine (Fluzone High-Dose) is available for people over age 65. The Centers for Disease Control does not specifically recommend the high-dose vaccine for people over age 65 and the high-dose vaccine has not been studied in people with MS of any age. For these reasons, the National MS Society continues to support influenza vaccination (flu shots) for people with MS but recommends that only the standard dose be used. If additional data for Fluzone High-Dose in MS patients become available, the recommendation may be revised.

To learn more about the 2018-2019 seasonal flu vaccine, please visit the CDC website.
          I’ve taken the high dose flu vaccine for the past two years. I’ve had no issues. Since I’m on Tysabri with an extended schedule, I make sure I get the shot midway between infusions.

Comment

Originally posted by sarabeach123 View Post
            Where did you hear that? Does anyone else have any info about timing the flu shot with Tysabri?
            From the nurse at my infusion center. You could call help line to see if accurate. I didn't, as schedule my flu shot in between anyway.
            Kathy

Comment

Originally posted by Carolinemf View Post
              I would actually recommend using caution either side of the stronger dmd's with any immunisations.
              Remember they are autoimmune depressants.
              From what I understand, any immunization that doesn't carry the live virus is ok. When live virus, you need to discuss with your neuro and look at risk/benefit. I was told no for shingles shot before, but from what I hear, they are now saying the nee shingles shot for age 55 is ok. Have to follow up and research this still.
              Kathy

Comment

Originally posted by pennstater View Post
                From what I understand, any immunization that doesn't carry the live virus is ok. When live virus, you need to discuss with your neuro and look at risk/benefit. I was told no for shingles shot before, but from what I hear, they are now saying the nee shingles shot for age 55 is ok. Have to follow up and research this still.
                I had the two Shingrix shots this summer. It is a killed virus and has a very high effectiveness rate. Two shots, 2-6 months apart. Someone told me you have to be at least 60 to get the best price ($160 each ); otherwise you pay a penalty. Having had Shingles 35 years ago, I didn't want to repeat THAT experience. If you get it and sleep on your side, have it in the opposite side. I was sore on the first one for 48 hours.

Comment

Flu Shot / Infustion Timing

I just called Biogen support and asked them if it is important to time a flu shot according to infusion schedule. They gave a stock answer: "Every patient is different - we defer to your doctor." I'm seeing my neuro soon and would be happy to report what he says for our data
                  All the best, ~G

Comment

I had my flu shot, the senior type, two weeks ago. My PCP knows I have MS and there was no mention of taking the lower dose.
                    I can't believe how the pharmacies are pushing the shot. Each and every time I go to a drug store, the pharmacist gives their sales speech to take both the flu and shingles vaccine!

Comment

I had my flu shot yesterday. The regular one.
                      ~ Faith
                      MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                      (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                      - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                      - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                      - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Lower Dose for Me

CVS suggested the lower dose flu shot for me because I have MS. I'm 65, still they suggested the lower dose rather than the senior dose. So I took the lower dose flu shot and am hoping for the best.

Comment

Ocrevus & Flu Shot

Saw my Neuro a couple of weeks ago, he said that (after first dose of Ocrevus) I could get my flu vaccine as usual.

Got vaccinated today with the regular dose (quad vaccine)

Asked him about shingle vaccination, he said (at 52) I should wait until 60.

Comment

Got the "goosed senior" version of this years flu vaccine 3 weeks ago.

Been getting this version since they began offering a stronger dosage for us old folk... 3 or so years ago??

Never had a problem. I've been getting yearly vaccination since about age 50 (pre dx).

Pharmacist said no conflict with MS.... Same for Neuro.

Comment

Working...
                            X