• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exercise Check-In for 09/27/18

5 checked in this last week.

GOALS REACHED:
    3 made goals
    GOALS MISSED:
    1 missed goals. Beaudreaux, I often encourage people to post realistic goals. Perhaps your goals are realistic for your abilities, but not realistic for your time constraints. You might want to adjust your goals while you are feeling too busy to accomplish them. You can always change them back to your current goals when you feel more able to fit them in. And, yes -- you are still putting in an amazing amount of steps.
    Other:
    1 is taking a break from setting measurable goals. I continued to be busy with out of town visitors part of this week.

For new Exercisers:
    Feel free to join us. You set your own goals. You can keep the same goals week-to-week, or modify them. You decide if you accomplished them. Check in once a week to let us know how you did last week, and to set goals for the following week.
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

I've been taking a break, for a few weeks, from setting measurable goals. My daughter and her family left Monday, so life might be getting back to normal.

In the meantime, I'll still report what I've done, just to hold myself accountable to something.

Thurs - 1797 steps
    Fri - 1882 steps
    Sat - 1852 steps
    Sun - 2146 steps
    Mon - 1679 steps
    Tues - 2551 steps, Silver Sneakers
    Wed - 1390 steps (was feeling under the weather)

Total steps = 13,297 = 1899 average per day
    Total exercise days = 1

I almost met my previous steps goal (2,000 steps per day average). I might have met it if I hadn't been feeling under the weather yesterday.

For next week, I'm going to try to go back to my previous goal:
    1. Average of 2,000 steps per day.
    2. Exercise at least 4 times out of 7 days. Silver Sneakers, Wellness Center, PT, chair exercises or something else.

I'd been having trouble meeting it, with the challenges related to my functional medicine doctor and the goals he was setting for me. I see him again today. Now that my visitors are also gone, and I've taken a few weeks of sort of a break, hopefully, I'll be able to motivate myself to get going again.
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Thur- 7732
      Fri- 9879
      Sat- 4187
      Sun- 4778
      Mon- 52- I think there was a glitch here...
      Tues- 5445
      Wed- 4321

missed it all this time around- 5 flights of stairs for the whole week and didn't hit one day of step goals. I've been stuck behind this desk for about a month now and I can actually see a difference in my physique. If your muscles are not worked for more than 72 hours (or there abouts) the atrophy process starts and your muscles start shrinking....I haven't been doing my calisthenics like I should and I can tell. I made a conscious decision to get back on the path last night and started this morning, 20 minutes at a brisk pace before work this morning. My BJJ game is suffering as well and I can't have that. Good news is I've been extremely disciplined with my diet.

More to come.
      The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

Made Goals

Hi everyone

Had a very good week ~ was able to do 5 walks @ 30 min each + was up and moving 4X a day, every day, @ 30 min each + daily stretches.

The cool weather has been beneficial ~ high temps in the 60's and 70's.

This afternoon and evening, however, my nerve signals weren't firing very well, and decided to slow way down, which affected my ability to move around.

I had a very active morning, and didn't stop for enough rest breaks because I was going so well with my activities. Hence the physical crash.

It's funny how sometimes you don't even realize that you're overdoing things, while you're doing things! But then eventually the nerve signals decide that enough is enough, and they insist on shutting down for awhile.

I'm just now starting to move around better, thank goodness!

Hope everyone has a good week with enough energy to accomplish goals, and enough wisdom to know when to rest.
        PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
        ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Originally posted by KoKo View Post
          It's funny how sometimes you don't even realize that you're overdoing things, while you're doing things! But then eventually the nerve signals decide that enough is enough, and they insist on shutting down for awhile.
          Oh how I know this one, KoKo. I ran into this this week and have to constantly remind myself to pace myself. It's not always easy. Glad your moving around better.

We have had some beautiful sunny weather (mid 60's-low 70's) which was conducive to working on cleaning up more garden and landscaping beds. 3 days of that and babysitting 2 times helped me reach my goal. And a added bonus is I got all my hardwood floors cleaned!!

Nothing like company coming to spur you on. Don't think I'm making goals for next week- will be spending time with friends off and on.

Have a good week ahead everyone!
          1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
          Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
            Glad your moving around better.
            Thank you Seasha!

We have had some beautiful sunny weather (mid 60's-low 70's) which was conducive to working on cleaning up more garden and landscaping beds. 3 days of that and babysitting 2 times helped me reach my goal. And a added bonus is I got all my hardwood floors cleaned!!
            Yay! Good for you Seasha!

Nothing like company coming to spur you on. Don't think I'm making goals for next week- will be spending time with friends off and on.
            Enjoy! I'm sure you'll be active, but just not with the usual hard labor that you do!
            ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Originally posted by Boudreaux View Post
              Thur- 7732
              Fri- 9879
              Sat- 4187
              Sun- 4778
              Mon- 52- I think there was a glitch here...
              Tues- 5445
              Wed- 4321

missed it all this time around- 5 flights of stairs for the whole week and didn't hit one day of step goals.
              Still, you managed to walk quite a few steps Boudreaux!

I made a conscious decision to get back on the path last night and started this morning, 20 minutes at a brisk pace before work this morning. Good news is I've been extremely disciplined with my diet.
              Sounds great!

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
                I've been taking a break, for a few weeks, from setting measurable goals. My daughter and her family left Monday, so life might be getting back to normal.

In the meantime, I'll still report what I've done, just to hold myself accountable to something.

Thurs - 1797 steps
                Fri - 1882 steps
                Sat - 1852 steps
                Sun - 2146 steps
                Mon - 1679 steps
                Tues - 2551 steps, Silver Sneakers
                Wed - 1390 steps (was feeling under the weather)

Total steps = 13,297 = 1899 average per day.
                Mamabug, you were very close to goal!

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
                Now that my visitors are also gone, and I've taken a few weeks of sort of a break, hopefully, I'll be able to motivate myself to get going again.
                We're rooting for you, good luck Mamabug!

Comment

Made Goals

Thu - 6615 (2 hr. volunteer work)
                  Fri - 8893 (3 hr. volunteer work / washed vacuumed car)
                  Sat - 12593 (5 hr. volunteer work)
                  Sun - 6974 (moved flowers back to porch & watered them)
                  Mon - 6077 (Dr. appointment)
                  Tue - 5953 (replaced panel on greenhouse)
                  Wed - 6274 (Dr. appointment / media room at church)

Walked over 6K steps on 6 of 7 days and averaged 6011 steps/day . I am going to drop my goals down some for this week - 5500 steps / day on at least 5 days of the week or 5000 steps / day for the week.
                  It has been a struggle since Saturday (my biggest volunteer day) and I am afraid that using the week prior to our 'big week' volunteering for hurricane preps and then doing 2 weeks worth of work in 1 week has not worked well for me.
                  At least we are having cooler temps. The rain is still hanging around and making movement difficult.

Seasha - Awesome week ! You certainly deserve some time off to enjoy friends! Have fun and we look forward to seeing you next week .

KoKo - Awesome week ! Glad that you are having cooler weather. And glad that your body decided to stop you while you were still able to rest for a while and recover . It IS hard to stop when we are feeling good and wanting to use the ability that we think we have while we can! I was guilty of that this week also .

Boudreaux - Great week for being stuck at work (unable to workout ). Awesome that you are still sticking to your diet !. I agree with Mamabug about adjusting your goals so that you will not be discouraged every week that you are not able to report that you made your goals. It is awesome that you have the ability to make your goals even if you do not have the time.

Mamabug - great to see you are back ! It looks like you have been very active during your break .

Wishing everybody a great week!

Comment

Originally posted by msgijo View Post
                    Thu - 6615 (2 hr. volunteer work)
                    Fri - 8893 (3 hr. volunteer work / washed vacuumed car)
                    Sat - 12593 (5 hr. volunteer work)
                    Sun - 6974 (moved flowers back to porch & watered them)
                    Mon - 6077 (Dr. appointment)
                    Tue - 5953 (replaced panel on greenhouse)
                    Wed - 6274 (Dr. appointment / media room at church)

Walked over 6K steps on 6 of 7 days and averaged 6011 steps/day .
                    msgijo

Gee whiz - you're making me exhausted again, from looking at your steps and activities!

Originally posted by msgijo View Post
                    I am going to drop my goals down some for this week - 5500 steps / day on at least 5 days of the week or 5000 steps / day for the week.
                    It has been a struggle since Saturday (my biggest volunteer day) and I am afraid that using the week prior to our 'big week' volunteering for hurricane preps and then doing 2 weeks worth of work in 1 week has not worked well for me.
                    Sounds like a very wise plan!

Glad you're having cooler temps , but the rain and humidity .

Comment

Hi all,

Work has had me swamped the last couple of weeks, I have been unable to get my workouts and yoga on the regular. I’m going to lower my goals for the next week to account for this schedule instability.

I HAVE been getting my steps in though, and I did get a couple of runs over the last couple of weeks...I am looking forward to work settling down soon so I can resume my regular routine. I am going to try to squeeze in more runs meantime.

Steps averaged 6,947 thanks to a big walking weekend:
                      Fri 3,501
                      Sat 12,917
                      Sun 17,166
                      Mon 2,472
                      Tue 4,169
                      Wed 3,542
                      Thu 4,868

KoKo, Seasha - great week, I’m happy the weather has helped you both!

Boudreaux - I can relate to being stuck at work, at least you’re getting back on track now! I am dreading that first workout when I get back on it. (Unlike my runs, I generally don’t look forward to workouts as it is...but I always feel great afterward and am glad that I did it)

Mamabug - you did almost get your steps goal, despite the break! Hope you had a great time with your visitors and you can get back to your routine this week.

I hope everyone has a great week!

Comment

Originally posted by MisterMan View Post
                        I HAVE been getting my steps in though, and I did get a couple of runs over the last couple of weeks...I am looking forward to work settling down soon so I can resume my regular routine. I am going to try to squeeze in more runs meantime.

Steps averaged 6,947 thanks to a big walking weekend:
                        Fri 3,501
                        Sat 12,917
                        Sun 17,166
                        Mon 2,472
                        Tue 4,169
                        Wed 3,542
                        Thu 4,868
                        Hi MisterMan ~

Your walk/run totals look terrific (sounds a little like baseball)!

Hope your work demands ease up for you.

In the meantime you're doing the best you can.

Hope you have a nice week!

Comment

Originally posted by MisterMan View Post
                          Boudreaux - I can relate to being stuck at work, at least you’re getting back on track now! I am dreading that first workout when I get back on it. (Unlike my runs, I generally don’t look forward to workouts as it is...but I always feel great afterward and am glad that I did
                          We do what we must right? It doesnt look like I'm going to be able to carry out my back on track plan. I hit the Jiu Jitsu mat Friday after work and heard and felt a pop in my lower left rib cage. I don't think I broke a rib but I'm not sure. Hopefully its just some intercoastal cartilage damage or maybe I seperated a floater rib. Regardless, my calisthenic excercises are going to suffer big time and traing BJJ is out for a while. I know I've missed my step goals so far for this week but I'll see what I can salvage.

Keep it going.
                          Last edited by Seasha; 10-01-2018, 05:37 PM. Reason: oops my mistake
                          The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

We do what we must right? It doesnt look like I'm going to be able to carry out my back on track plan. I hit the Jiu Jitsu mat Friday after work and heard and felt a pop in my lower left rib cage. I don't think I broke a rib but I'm not sure. Hopefully its just some intercoastal cartilage damage or maybe I seperated a floater rib. Regardless, my calisthenic excercises are going to suffer big time and traing BJJ is out for a while. I know I've missed my step goals so far for this week but I'll see what I can salvage.

Keep it going.

So sorry to hear of your accident, Boudreaux. I hope it heals quickly and you can get back to the mat and your calisthenics before long. Have you gotten an x-ray done of your ribs? Take care!
                            1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                            Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Working...
                            X