I feel like a wind up toy!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I feel like a wind up toy!

Can anyone relate to feeling like a wind up toy? I can start out walking okay, but gradually my hips feel tight and I slow to a shuffle. Just want to make sure this is MS.
    May 2003-Avonex started
    July 2007-Rebif
    Laugh than Pray!

Originally posted by stacey View Post
    Can anyone relate to feeling like a wind up toy? I can start out walking okay, but gradually my hips feel tight and I slow to a shuffle. Just want to make sure this is MS.
    Hi stacey

Yes! I feel like a wind up toy too, with the gradual slowing down while walking (not that I walk very fast to start with, though).

I have motor fatigue - my muscles tire quickly with repeated use, causing extreme weakness.

After a 20 - 30 min rest, I'm back to baseline.

If your hips get tight, you could be battling some spasticity too, as your legs tire.

Weakness and spasticity are caused by our impaired nerve signals.

Take Care
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Thank you KoKo

I needed to know I was not alone so bad! This disease is so unique to everyone that it makes it hard for even the doctors to know if it is MS or not. I constantly play the go to neuro who tells me “I don’t think that is MS”to my primary who says “well you have MS so go see Neuro” problem is Neuro has no more openings till next year so why bother! Such a frustrating condition, so thank you! Just needed to know I didn’t need to waste any more time at the doctors since there is nothing they can do anyway. Just a waiting game to see if this sticks around or remisses.
      May 2003-Avonex started
      July 2007-Rebif
      Laugh than Pray!

Comment

Hmmm. Interesting description -- a wind up toy. I wouldn't describe my symptoms that way, exactly. But, my walking does become more difficult and awkward after I walk awhile. I can't walk very far without tiring -- only a block and a half or two.

Have either your PCP or your neuro done an MRI?
        ~ Faith
        MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
        (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
        - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
        - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
        - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

MRI confirmed

Yes mammabug I have had an MRI many years ago to confirm diagnosis. My Neuro said after confirmation of plaques MRI’s are not useful.
          May 2003-Avonex started
          July 2007-Rebif
          Laugh than Pray!

Comment

hi '
            in Aus we still get mri's done semi regularly.
            It can help gauge progression and activity.

Comment

Stacey -- you said, in your initial post, that you wanted to confirm that this is MS. I assume your MRI confirmed that?

And, yes, like Caroline, I have MRI's regularly (once every 5 years) to follow progression.
              ~ Faith
              MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
              (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
              - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
              - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
              - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Hi guys I tell my wife that I am running out of batteries as my day progresses by midday im flat and sleep for a few hours and as for MRI's last year I had 5 stay positive, my 2 grand daughters came to visit today what a way to make you feel like the king of the world, there is no drug like love Craig

Comment

Yep.
                  my pore husband just cant understand why i would rather work at 4 am till i wind down than do a bit at a time
                  I have tried to explain that i don't know if i will be up to it later in the day.
                  But maybe the wind up toy or run down battery analogy may work better.

BTW nice to here from you again Craig. Yes Grandkids are great i spent a couple hours yesterday cuddling my first one.

Comment

Working...
                  X