baclofen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

baclofen?

hey guys i started baclofen 2 weeks ago 10mg x3, but till now im only using 5mgx3. I find it quite effective for spasticity but have noticed 2 side effects. 1 is drowiness, i find i am sluggish now all day less energy. Helps me sleep better but during day im just always tired now. Does this eventually go away? also having past few days constipation, does that also go away? i want my energy back but it is helping with pain so im torn if to stay on the med or not.
    thanks

Originally posted by scopus View Post
    hey guys i started baclofen 2 weeks ago 10mg x3, but till now im only using 5mgx3. I find it quite effective for spasticity but have noticed 2 side effects. 1 is drowiness, i find i am sluggish now all day less energy. Helps me sleep better but during day im just always tired now. Does this eventually go away? also having past few days constipation, does that also go away? i want my energy back but it is helping with pain so im torn if to stay on the med or not.
    thanks
    Sluggishness will ease up a little, you will be weaker though. Constipation is a side effect of muscle relaxers, eat prunes or raisins. Cut back on the meds and see if an even lower dose will help.
    The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

Both resolved for me @ 10mg 3x/day. But if I slack on fruits and veggies, constipation will be an issue.
      Kathy
      DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Hi scopus.

Each person reacts to medications differently. I was on and off Baclofen several times and usually took it as needed. A few years ago I needed Baclofen on a regular basis. Initially I was tired until my body adjusted to the dosage.

After time I was tired constantly to the point Narcolepsy was suspected. Baclofen really wasn't helpful so my Neurologist switched my prescription to Zanaflex and I went off Baclofen. Once Baclofen was out of my system I no longer feel asleep randomly nor was I tired all the time.

It was determined I did not have Narcolepsy but a side effect of Baclofen. Muscle relaxers can help spasticity but they can come with some side effects that can affect your Quality Of Life (QOL).

My suggestion is to be very aware of a worsening of your fatigue and to let your Neurologist know. There is other muscle relaxers that can be tried that might agree with you better than Baclofen.

Exercise, gentle stretching, yoga, pilates, swimming, etc. can be beneficial for MS symptoms including Spasticity.

Take care.
        Diagnosed 1984
        “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

thanks so much for all the advice
          perhaps i should just take it as needed. I dont feel i need to be on it 24/7, esp when im at home. Just when im out and about and need something to enjoy things i usually avoid since my pain. Honestly ever since i started on the baclofen its been the first time in a long time since i could get though a full days work or out on a long night with friends and not think about the pain or have it interfere. Hopefully if i just take it as needed once a day or so constipation wont be so much an issue and i can live with the occasional drowsiness when i go out. Its just feeling drowsy all day long that is killing me i think

Comment

Working...
          X