Injector pen disposal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Injector pen disposal

Question... I am on Plegridy. This is a self inject pen. I have a few sharps containers full of them that I need to dispose of and want to make sure I am doing this correctly going forward.

My mother is diabetic & the law in NJ is that can clip the needle & then dispose in an old laundry detergent bottle, mark it as a biohazard, seal the cap shut & then throw in the trash.

The pens are a little different because you cannot clip the syringe since it is covered. Wondering if I would still just dispose of the same way (in container clearly marked & taped shut in the trash). Hate the idea of just throwing all of that plastic in the trash but the recycle program Biogen used to have was done away with long ago.
    Diagnosed: May 2012
    Medications: Avonex - stopped 12/14
    Plegridy - starting 12/14

When I was on Avonex I had a similar emotional problem when the local dump here said "just toss them". I figure that wouldn't fly well in other places not Idaho. You might want to make a call or two to check local requirements.

Comment

You could check to see if your county has any biohazard collections.

I hated the idea too of a dump. But that is what I was told to do. So in a sharps container or a laundry detergent bottle, with duct tape to reinforce it stay closed, and marked with a sharpie.
      Kathy
      DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Here in Minn. it's the household hazardous waste sites that we can drop our sharps off

Comment

Thanks everyone
          Diagnosed: May 2012
          Medications: Avonex - stopped 12/14
          Plegridy - starting 12/14

Comment

Working...
          X