Tysabri destroys your teeth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tysabri destroys your teeth

I've been on Tysabri for a full decade and yes, it staves off disease progression to a large extent, which I'm very happy about. BUT I wish I'd known about the effect it has on teeth.

I'd always had teeth with occasional cavities but nothing more. After Tysabri, I began--for the first time in my life--to have constant serious problems. I'm talking multiple root canals and excessive cavities, infections, etc. This past year, it all caught up with me and I've had close to 20 teeth pulled due to decay. The nurse at my MS clinic sez she hears about tooth decay problems all the time--ONLY FROM TYSABRI PATIENTS. My dentist said it's probably from Tysabri causing dry mouth, which severely compromises teeth.

So just an FYI. This may change your mind about Tysabri? (I'm sure at some point the FDA will have to list this as a side effect, but so far Biogen has managed to prevent that.)

I was concerned about this in deciding and researching Tysabri. The best advice I found was to make sure to tell your dentist you're on Tysabri and to practice really rigorous dental hygiene. Here are some home remedies for drymouth. A few of them are obviously hard to avoid, but I thought kicking dehydrating habits and staying hydrated were two good ones.

There are also prescriptions for avoiding dry mouth caused by medication.

• Drink water. ...
    • Avoid certain medications (sigh...)
    • Kick dehydrating habits.
    • Suck on sugarless candies.
    • Chew sugarless gum.
    • Improve overall oral care.
    • Use alcohol-free mouthwash.
    • Avoid breathing through your mouth.
    All the best, ~G

Comment

I am in 8th year. I did have a root canal this summer, but so far, all else ok. The tooth had a big old filling from 30 years ago, so may have been due.

I am really sorry to hear of your problems. I had not heard this before, but will definitely be on the lookout. I do have dry mouth, but that started with vesicare for the bladder.

Thanks for the heads up.
      Kathy
      DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

WordWarrior,

I've had over 100 infusions, and in the 8 years since diagnosis, I've never had any problem with my teeth. I'm very conscientious about visiting for a thorough cleaning every 4 months. I also have worn a bite block for over twenty years, so my teeth are actually in good shape.

Comment

I've only been on Tysabri for about 2 years, but I've never had dry mouth. I didn't even know that was a side effect!

Comment

Starting my 13th year..Thank G-d no teeth problems (one deep cleaning 5 months ago) !
            Linda

Comment

Really?

Do tysabri destroy our teeth?

Do we need to avoid if some dental treatments is going on?

Comment

I do think Tys increases the chance of decay etc.

I have lost 2 teeth since starting tys 7 yrs ago.

I thought i had done all the right things, including having 'everything' fixed and having pro cleans done 6 monthly.

It could also be that i lucked out with dentist though.
                I have lost trust in him because 3 of my teeth have continued to decay under his fillings.

Could be either or . Bad dentist or tys or both.
                But i don't think tys effects individual dental treatments.
                We do have to remember that it is an immunosupressant so all areas can be effected to some degree.

Comment

thanks,

Originally posted by Carolinemf View Post
                  I do think Tys increases the chance of decay etc.

I have lost 2 teeth since starting tys 7 yrs ago.

I thought i had done all the right things, including having 'everything' fixed and having pro cleans done 6 monthly.

It could also be that i lucked out with dentist though.
                  I have lost trust in him because 3 of my teeth have continued to decay under his fillings.

Could be either or . Bad dentist or tys or both.
                  But i don't think tys effects individual dental treatments.
                  We do have to remember that it is an immunosupressant so all areas can be effected to some degree.
                  Thanks for this information. Do you know any treatment of this?
                  or waterflosser would be good for dental care?

Comment

I wonder if it destroys your teeth because it lowers your immune system allowing decay. Or if it is the dry mouth. I have alway had healthy teeth and they have all broken off, one earthquake after another, the past 9 years. I used to wear a nightguard but the force of my nightime bruxism broke off all my front teeth. Just this past year the rest of my teeth crumbled. Now, the only options are implants of every tooth, pulling them all and getting dentures or putting a crown on every tooth, which might or might not work.

Since I don’t have any money, I am in plan D: looking like a hobo and eating soft food. These strong MS treatments have risks but it was a conscious choice I made. I wanted to fight the progression of this disease the most aggressive way possible.

Comment

I have been on The phone for about 7 years and haven't had any problems with my teeth yet. I do get my regular teeth cleanings. In my almost 40 years I have only had about two cavities. Well three because I actually got one on a Wisdom tooth. That was what finally made me get them removed. Now thaty Wisdom teeth have been removed they do not bother my dentist anymore. When I started seeing this dentist 11 years after I was told I needed to get them out every visit he was talking about me needing them out. If I had not gotten that cavity on it I would probably still have them.

Comment

This is horrifying!

I have been on Tysabri for 10 years and the past year all my teeth disintegrated. It wasn’t from infection. They just fell to pieces. The dentists are telling me the only thing they can do is put a crown on every tooth. Price $34,000. Is it going to happen? No way. Right now I am living wth teeth that can’t chew and look like a hobo.

I wonder if this, too, is from Tysabri. Yours sounds more like a direct result of suppressing the immune system. Mine isn’t so straight forward.

Comment

Originally posted by lindaincolorado View Post
                          Starting my 13th year..Thank G-d no teeth problems (one deep cleaning 5 months ago) !
                          Lots of different responses here. With this limited data it does sound like the problem may be at least partly genetic, with Tysabri thrown in as a "factor." And what about other drugs people are on in combination? Also I wonder about the average age of people who say their teeth have been destroyed. I'm no spring chicken myself, just curious.
                          All the best, ~G

Comment

I’m 66. No spring chicken, either but everyone else in my family still has their teeth including my 93 year old mother.

Comment

Working...
                            X